• +

19 Replies - 3479 Views - Last Post: 29 June 2005 - 09:29 AM

• The Innocent Shall Suffer, Big Time
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Linux on CD

Posted 17 June 2005 - 07:39 AM

Red|5, on Jun 17 2005, 12:00 AM, said:

I've just dl'ed Knoppix 3.9 LiveCD, thanx to this thread, and it is quite cool. For somebody who just wants to muck around and get used to linux, the idea of no install.. run from cd.. is awesome.

Ran it yesterday. Didn't identify my Gigabyte Radeon 9600Pro, but I expected that. It booted X in vesa. But apart from that, it worked like a charm.

Internet was automatically configured so surfing the net involved starting firefox... no configuration needed.

Try it. You won't be disappointed.

ATI's drivers are not open source I believe, or something like that. It takes some extra work configurng the kernel with thier modules to get direct rendering, so dont be surprised if a live CD doesnt have full support for your hardware.

Hardware is a trickey thing with linux, only now are manufactures starting to make drivers for linux. So sad that they are getting exclusive contracts with M$ a lot of times.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 17 June 2005 - 03:21 PM

Nova Dragoon, on Jun 16 2005, 03:52 PM, said:

You probably could have either reinstalled grub with a grub boot disk, or done fixmbr from the windows recovery console.

Also beware dual boot with windows may cause windows to crap itself and delete 20gigs of music

I boot into windows and it wanted to run scandisk, so I said fine. Then it BSOD'd or something similar in the middle of scandisk, 20gigs gone. Needless to say I didnt run windows on that box ever ever again [/quote]
Thank you for the info :D

Ditto on the back up everything, I personaly do not mix operating systems on the same machine any more it just opens to many doors for errors between them.

There is a big problem running some hardware on Linux because of drivers not being available but they are coming along, Linux is a good stable operating system with much potential so Microsoft best step up to the 64 bit plate.

I have the same driver problem with Windows XP Professional 64 bit so before upgrading to it beware a lot of stuff will not work...like most anti virus programs, my Epson printer will no longer work in Windows but does in both Linux systems 64 bit.

If you like a challenge and are willing to learn try Linux it is solid and coming along. :pirate:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• still.dreaming
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 June 2005 - 03:42 PM

Nova Dragoon, on Jun 17 2005, 04:39 PM, said:

Red|5, on Jun 17 2005, 12:00 AM, said:

I've just dl'ed Knoppix 3.9 LiveCD, thanx to this thread, and it is quite cool. For somebody who just wants to muck around and get used to linux, the idea of no install.. run from cd.. is awesome.

Ran it yesterday. Didn't identify my Gigabyte Radeon 9600Pro, but I expected that. It booted X in vesa. But apart from that, it worked like a charm.

Internet was automatically configured so surfing the net involved starting firefox... no configuration needed.

Try it. You won't be disappointed.

ATI's drivers are not open source I believe, or something like that. It takes some extra work configurng the kernel with thier modules to get direct rendering, so dont be surprised if a live CD doesnt have full support for your hardware.

Hardware is a trickey thing with linux, only now are manufactures starting to make drivers for linux. So sad that they are getting exclusive contracts with M$ a lot of times.

Yeah, I know. Had ATi driver problems before... that's why I expected it not to identify it. But I don't mind. As long as I can see what's going on, it's fine :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 17 June 2005 - 11:40 PM

Thanks guys for all the help. i dont think i need more info on linux. if i do i can just to some research linux on the internet, and i think i will probably stay with knoppix.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 29 June 2005 - 09:29 AM

He He. Good posting here!!! Try Bart's Preinstalled Environment (PE Builder) it uses winxp sp2 or later, you must copy the whole cd on your pc. well it says how to slip stream service pack 2 !!! it allows you to run windows on CD without installing it on your hard disk like knoppix... you can add plugins and all that.

Nice PE Building ... :D :D
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +