Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Google announces Chrome OS

• GabehabeSwamp
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Google announces Chrome OS

Posted 08 July 2009 - 06:42 AM

Saw this earlier. Apparently it's gonna be really cloud oriented, and it's main target market is netbooks.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 08 July 2009 - 07:04 AM

Maybe they will spy their users here to :blink: can't wait to see it
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• using System.Linq;
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 July 2009 - 07:28 AM

Moved to Corner Cubicle. :)

Just a side note - seems like Microsoft will have an announcement regarding this on Monday.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Can grep dead trees!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 July 2009 - 07:53 AM

I'm not so hot on the idea - though it might be nice to see what they come up with.

First thing fishy is the time line -- next year? While I suppose that it is not that hard to make a new Linux distro I would expect a little more realistic time line -- perhaps the point to is cause a scramble on Microsoft's side.

Second thing -- Do we really need yet another Linux? I think it is time that MacDonald's get into the OS game and gives us a new Linux distro -- I mean the more watered down and less focused the Linux world is, the less of a threat it is to Microsoft.

Thirdly -- How serious is Google? Many of their products are incomplete and while they make great proofs of concept and help direct the industry - Google is full of big ideas and loose ends.

Take Google Earth -- its API is full of "almosts" -- neat features that were almost done. The GE COM API - abandoned, The Google Web services API -- abandoned. GMail is still in beta. Google does not finish things, and by "finish" I mean complete the details, polish the parts no one looks at, oil all the parts, etc. they don't take the extra steps to ensure they have a finished product -- the quality control is just not there.

Great organization -- they are changing the world -- but they are a bad choice for an OS vendor.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• GabehabeSwamp
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 July 2009 - 04:54 AM

I can't wait for it.

I don't know too much about it, but AFAIK, it's gonna be Linux based, and extremely cloud oriented - and of course, that's pretty much a given since they're all about the cloud. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 July 2009 - 05:04 PM

My Ex-Girl friends Facebook Status: "Google Chrome OS? Intriguing.... I am tempted for I already love the browser..." If she had any idea what she was saying, she wouldn't have said that. She is an art major after all.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 July 2009 - 05:45 PM

My Ex-Girl friends Facebook Status:

Facebook stalker :P

I think Google will probably make some cool features for this Chrome OS, which co-incidentally Windows will announce very similar 'new' features for their next attempt at an operating system :D
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 July 2009 - 09:02 PM

I liked the idea of a Google OS better when they were working with Sun Microsystems.

Isn't it funny how Microsoft, an OS manufacture is now working to catch up with Google's search Engine, & Google is now tackling an OS Giant. Kind of seems like Microsoft is heading in the wrong direction, & Google is stepping up to the plate. Just my perception.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Disassembling...
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 July 2009 - 12:20 AM

View Postno2pencil, on 9 Jul, 2009 - 08:02 PM, said:

I liked the idea of a Google OS better when they were working with Sun Microsystems.

Isn't it funny how Microsoft, an OS manufacture is now working to catch up with Google's search Engine, & Google is now tackling an OS Giant. Kind of seems like Microsoft is heading in the wrong direction, & Google is stepping up to the plate. Just my perception.

+1 :^:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 26 July 2009 - 12:19 PM

If applications where on the internet and all we had on our computers was a browser, it would make things much more universal and a lot faster (computer at home wise).

If that is the idea they are going for I'm up for it, I like the idea of a 3 second boot time and not having to pick between OS's because of program compatibility issues!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Segmentation fault
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 July 2009 - 10:05 AM

It should be pointed out that this isn't supposed to be "Just Another Linux Distro". It probably won't even run any Linux software (no X11).

For a lot of people computers are just gateways to the internet. If 99% of the stuff you do is online then what's the point in using a conventional OS? Yes, storing all of your data on remote servers is scary at best but there's no reason devices running Chrome couldn't have something as simple as removable storage.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 10 September 2009 - 12:50 PM

I like the sound of the google chrome OS but I don't think I will be switching anytime soon how ever I will give it a go once I get a new netbook as I will probley be able to afford a netbook when the have released the google chrome OS 2020 lol
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 September 2009 - 02:11 PM

View PostNickDMax, on 8 Jul, 2009 - 06:53 AM, said:

GMail is still in beta. Google does not finish things, and by "finish" I mean complete the details, polish the parts no one looks at, oil all the parts, etc. they don't take the extra steps to ensure they have a finished product -- the quality control is just not there.

Hehe you spoke just a few weeks too soon huh? After years in beta their finally off! But you can still enable that little beta graphic if you wish (Google's little sense of humor).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• What did you call me?
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 September 2009 - 02:02 AM

Google does always have some good ideas, and with the new android out I may have to give this chrome OS a good look.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1