• +
  • Last »

95 Replies - 10109 Views - Last Post: 29 October 2011 - 05:43 PM

• 4+1=Moo
  • member icon

• View blog

Kids and Programming

Posted 10 July 2009 - 05:12 AM

Hey everyone, I've recently just sat down and though about the fact that kids are getting better at computers at younger ages, faster. And I just wanted to know your opinions on it. I believe soon we will have 4yrs out programming us, lol :D

This post has been edited by Amrykid: 10 July 2009 - 05:14 AM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 1
  • +

Replies To: Kids and Programming

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Re: Kids and Programming

Posted 10 July 2009 - 05:17 AM

Am I one of those young ones? I'm 15 and I can VB6 pretty O.K. but I haven't done any programming in a few months. :(
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• 4+1=Moo
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 July 2009 - 05:30 AM

View PostMonkeyBoy2194, on 10 Jul, 2009 - 05:17 AM, said:

Am I one of those young ones? I'm 15 and I can VB6 pretty O.K. but I haven't done any programming in a few months. :(

yes, these day, were getting younger and younger... I just replied to a codeproject thread about a guy is gonna teach his daughters (11yr and 8yr) to program.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 July 2009 - 05:30 AM

With VB* being shoved in their face, it's no wonder they can learn to program. It's whether they can learn something other than VB*, and manage to not have their minds mutilated by VB* that I wonder about.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 10 July 2009 - 05:33 AM

I haven't tried any other programmes yet. But how hard are other ones? Especially C++ that seems like a popular programme.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• 4+1=Moo
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 July 2009 - 05:36 AM

View PostRaynes, on 10 Jul, 2009 - 05:30 AM, said:

With VB* being shoved in their face, it's no wonder they can learn to program. It's whether they can learn something other than VB*, and manage to not have their minds mutilated by VB* that I wonder about.

Whats wrong with VB? I think its a great way for a kid to start programming with. Thats the language I started with.

This post has been edited by Amrykid: 10 July 2009 - 05:37 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• using System.Linq;
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 July 2009 - 05:37 AM

In the modern era of highly-developed information technology, it is getting cheaper, therefore more accessible to various people. The great opportunities a computer brings in a family are so many, that kids even at an early age start to learn how to use these high-tech products -- simply because it is impossible to ignore the advances.

Probably there are still not as many kids that learn pogramming at an early age (compared to the number of kids that use the computer), however the numbers are increasing very fast. Many kids are curious - they tend to think about how something works, therefore, for example, playing some video games makes some kids think - "Hey! I want to do one like this!" This leads them to development communities, books and other stuff that can actually boost their knowledge in the domain. This is not everyone's case, but this tends to be the most widespread situation.

Whats wrong with VB? I think its a great way for a kid to start programming with. Thats the language I started with.

There is nothing wrong with VB, especially if it is the .NET version. Indeed, it is a very powerful language that gives you the possiblity to build professional applications. The argument that VB is a "toy language" is completely irrelevant. Visual Basic .NET is based on the same class libraries as C#, therefore giving the same possibilities. Syntax is the only difference and I don't know of such a program that would be possible to create in C# and not in VB.NET. It's the question of personal choice - if you like VB.NET syntax better than C#, then go with it. If you can achieve a goal more efficiently by using VB.NET - then again, go for it.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• 4+1=Moo
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 July 2009 - 05:41 AM

View PostCore, on 10 Jul, 2009 - 05:37 AM, said:

In the modern era of highly-developed information technology, it is getting cheaper, therefore more accessible to various people. The great opportunities a computer brings in a family are so many, that kids even at an early age start to learn how to use these high-tech products -- simply because it is impossible to ignore the advances.

Probably there are still not as many kids that laearn pogramming at an early age (compared to the number of kids that use the computer), however the numbers are increasing very fast. Many kids are curious - they tend to think about how something works, therefore, for example, playing some video games makes some kids think - "Hey! I want to do one like this!" This leads them to development communities, books and other stuff that can actually boost their knowledge in the domain. This is not everyone's case, but this tends to be the most widespread situation.

There is nothing wrong with VB, especially if it is the .NET version. Indeed, it is a very powerful language that gives you the possiblity to build professional applications. The argument that VB is a "toy language" is completely irrelevant. Visual Basic .NET is based on the same class libraries as C#, therefore giving the same possibilities. Syntax is the only difference and I don't know of such a program that would be possible to create in C# and not in VB.NET.

That was deep :^:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 July 2009 - 05:41 AM

View PostAmrykid, on 10 Jul, 2009 - 04:36 AM, said:

View PostRaynes, on 10 Jul, 2009 - 05:30 AM, said:

If you ever read any of Baavgai's posts about VB, you'll know why I don't care for it. I don't think it's a very good language to start with. It doesn't exactly teach you wonderful practices. There are plenty things wrong with VB.

I'd rather not turn this into another "VB IS NOT BAD!" thread, so let's leave it at this. Pwetty pwease. :P

Maybe Baavgai will have something to say about it.

This post has been edited by Raynes: 10 July 2009 - 05:42 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 10 July 2009 - 05:42 AM

@Core, are you a professional programmer, cos from that message it looks like you know a lot about programming.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• .. does not guess solutions
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 July 2009 - 05:45 AM

View PostCore, on 10 Jul, 2009 - 04:37 AM, said:

There is nothing wrong with VB, especially if it is the .NET version. Indeed, it is a very powerful language that gives you the possiblity to build professional applications. The argument that VB is a "toy language" is completely irrelevant. Visual Basic .NET is based on the same class libraries as C#, therefore giving the same possibilities. Syntax is the only difference and I don't know of such a program that would be possible to create in C# and not in VB.NET. It's the question of personal choice - if you like VB.NET syntax better than C#, then go with it. If you can achieve a goal more efficiently by using VB.NET - then again, go for it.

Actually, VB.NET lacks several features that C# has.

Anonymous methods being a very important one.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 July 2009 - 05:45 AM

He is a professional, but writing a verbose post with lots of big words doesn't mean you know a lot about programming. :P

Just because you can write a program in C#, and then the same program in Assembly doesn't mean Assembly is a very pragmatic option. On a personal preference note, VB's syntax really irks the hell out of me, but that's irrelevant.

This post has been edited by Raynes: 10 July 2009 - 05:50 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 10 July 2009 - 05:48 AM

View PostRaynes, on 10 Jul, 2009 - 11:45 AM, said:

He is a professional, but writing a verbose post with lots of big words doesn't mean you know a lot about programming. :P

It does to me. :D
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• 4+1=Moo
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 July 2009 - 05:49 AM

View PostRaynes, on 10 Jul, 2009 - 05:45 AM, said:

Back to the topic, if this keeps up, we will loss our jobs to 5yr olds with over-active imaginations creating apps that we've never though off.

This post has been edited by Amrykid: 10 July 2009 - 05:50 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• using System.Linq;
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 July 2009 - 05:56 AM

Back to the topic, if this keeps up, we will loss our jobs to 5yr olds with over-active imaginations creating apps that we've never though off.

Well this is probably not going to happen very soon as there is still a high percentage of those who start at young age, and later abandon the idea of learning programming (when they encounter tasks they cannot achieve - for example by trying to develop something very big without any experience). Speaking about hiring young people, the story of Tom Williams hired by Apple at the age of 14 comes to mind (link here).
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• (7 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »