• +
  • « First
  • Last »

95 Replies - 10114 Views - Last Post: 29 October 2011 - 05:43 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Kids and Programming

Posted 22 July 2009 - 09:13 PM

I agree with the logic in math classes. Proof writing is VERY helpful to learn as are all sorts of other things. Unfortunately, many of the useful things do not appear until high school or later. But there are wonderful logic games for elementary school!

Computer usage mastery before programming is key. I also find that web design is a good place to start kids off. It is something that can teach them a lot about the internet and really pushes them into everything. Some basic programming should be taught in schools, but frankly, it is the math, logic, and basic computer usage that is important, not the programming itself. We are programmers and thus we are biased, kids need to learn the basics but most of them will not need more than the basics in the future and if they do, they will have to adapt. Teaching anything more is also not as helpful as giving a strong foundation in logic due to the fast-paced nature of the technology industry.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 23 July 2009 - 03:23 AM

These so called 'Computer Kids' are mostly posers, at my current high school I'm the only person there who even know's what Linux is! Let alone compiled gentoo from a stage one tarball and sits down to a nice relaxing book on programming a couple times a day. It's really sad because I was hoping that as I became more and more of a nerd I'd find more and more intelligent friends, but almost 99% of the "Nerds" are only "Geeks" (meaning they play too many video games but don't know squat about computers.) Lol I highly highly doubt you'll have many kids out programming you anytime soon. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 23 July 2009 - 05:27 PM

A 9 year old developed that etch-a-sketch iPhone app called Doodle Kids. When I was 9, I distinctly recall doing nothing more than going to school, hanging out with friends, and playing Nintendo. Ah, those were the days; the days before mainstream cell phones and internet.

I'd rather see a kid program instead of cursing out their parents or acting like Cartman on South Park. Toss in some physical exercise and everything will be fine.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I must break you
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 July 2009 - 07:59 PM

The sooner the better. If its something they take an interest to at a young age its only going to help them out later in life. I wish i would have gotten started a lot sooner then i did. One thing I definitely regret.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 July 2009 - 12:25 PM

I think that internet resources are what really help kids learn at an earlier age.

For instance, I have never taken a computer programming class. All my programming is self taught. My first programming class will be in college this Fall.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 July 2009 - 05:57 PM

I think the concepts of programming are actually pretty basic. (If you clean your room, you get a cookie. Else you get grounded.) It's combining all of them to make something useful that's the hard part. As more bright kids are introduced to programming, we'll see a larger number of children enter the programming community.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Software Engineer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 July 2009 - 06:16 PM

The concepts of programming seem basic when you understand them. I remember trying in vain to get hello world to run.

I think the number of programming kids is increasing merely because of the population. I don't think that technology has a huge influence (The keyword here is huge, Technology is definitely enticing people).

I believe that you either like to write code or you don't.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 July 2009 - 07:27 PM

I started HTML a few years ago.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 30 July 2009 - 09:45 AM

The concepts are easy once you get used to them. In that way, programming is just like learning the basic grammar of a language. When kids learn a language young and use it often, they can become fluent. I see programming the same way. If kids are taught the basic logical structures at a very young age (I am talking before four, by kindergarten and elementary school it is time to gain basic computer proficiency), then they can become programmers more easily. My ideal timeline for computer learning is this:
Under one year: Exposure to computers, watching parents work and having parents go through games on computers that the baby can watch
Under four years: Logic games and puzzles plus probably a few computer games
Early elementary school: Basic proficiency with computers. Graphics programs and games are good for this. Some powerpoint and other programs for use with what is being done in other subjects at school.
Late elementary school: Introduction to typing and learning the core programs for computer use. Flow charts, simulation games, and the all important introduction to the internet. Market the internet as something fun and interesting, not scary and dangerous.
Early middle school: Web design and graphic editing using photoshop or some similar program. HTML and CSS. Introduction to one programming language and the basic logic, perhaps through robotics. More advanced applications in projects for classes.
Late middle school: More advanced programming on the computer. Excel and proficiency in other programs for scientific use. Get a laptop and use it through a school laptop program.
High school: Present opportunities (most likely outside of school due to budget issues) for further computer science education if desired.

The above is what schools should do (or parents at the very beginning). This should be mostly integrated into the other curriculum.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• using System.Linq;
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 July 2009 - 01:47 PM

On a side note, look here to see who is running OmniTechNews (a IT/gadgets news web site). Who would think about that?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 July 2009 - 07:51 PM

Hey, I run several sites but I can never hit the topic just right.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• using System.Linq;
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 July 2009 - 06:50 AM

They run a successful site that is recognized as a trustworthy resource by many people. Plus, all the content on the web site is created by the same kids. Not everyone can do that and it is impressing that kids keep themselves motivated to provide updated content almost daily.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• 4+1=Moo
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 July 2009 - 09:30 AM

View PostCore, on 31 Jul, 2009 - 06:50 AM, said:

They run a successful site that is recognized as a trustworthy resource by many people. Plus, all the content on the web site is created by the same kids. Not everyone can do that and it is impressing that kids keep themselves motivated to provide updated content almost daily.

And thats what brings us here.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 31 July 2009 - 12:54 PM

That is pretty cool about the OmniTechNews writers. Heh, I look up to them as an aspiring blogger myself. It is tough to find the right topic balance and even harder to get an audience.

One of the best things that a kid can do is go out into the internet and create something for the world.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Disassembling...
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 August 2009 - 12:50 AM

View PostShidash, on 31 Jul, 2009 - 11:54 AM, said:

That is pretty cool about the OmniTechNews writers. Heh, I look up to them as an aspiring blogger myself. It is tough to find the right topic balance and even harder to get an audience.

One of the best things that a kid can do is go out into the internet and create something for the world.

I'd do it if I had money for a domain. :(

I am 11. I know tons of languages, many fluently, have 5 thanks and 150 dream kudos. :rolleyes: [/modesty] Mostly because neither of my parents have time for me so I have turned to technology.

What does that say about this generation?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (7 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • Last »