2 Replies - 1755 Views - Last Post: 12 July 2009 - 02:07 PM

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Mobile phone app idea

Posted 12 July 2009 - 11:37 AM

So I'm trying to figure out something to do for the BlackBerry contest. I've come up with an idea that I don't think would be do-able before the deadline, so I'm throwing it out here to see what thoughts you might have on it.

Since you carry your mobile/smart phone with you everywhere, wouldn't it be cool if you could use your phone as a credit card. What I mean, you could have an image generated by your credit card provider that you could scan on your grocery store's scanner to automatically charge your payment. This would eliminate the need for carrying cards and cash.

Face it, your phone is pretty much indispensible, and if you could have your phone do the work of a check, credit card, etc, it would be all you need (not including a power cord to keep your purse/wallet charged). I realize this would take a lot of collaboration and time to implement. You would have to have card companies and banks sign up for it, plus you would have to have the ability in stores to scan such image or signal. Also, depending on the actual interface involved, there might be some hardware to add to the blackberry. Also, and it goes without saying, it would have to be secure, highly secure. You wouldn't want somebody to be able to scan your device and copy your image or signal or whatever.

So, anybody have any ideas how this could work?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Mobile phone app idea

• Barbarbar
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Mobile phone app idea

Posted 12 July 2009 - 01:02 PM

This is a neat idea, and I've actually seen something similar for the iPhone - it's called Cardstar, and the idea is that it stores the barcodes for all your loyalty cards so you don't have to carry them around.

There's a bit of a physical problem, though - at least where I am, credit cards are swiped, whereas loyalty cards are scanned - the difference is important. It's the magnetic stripe on the credit card that's doing the work(someone who knows more can correct me if I'm wrong), so there isn't really a way for someone to scan your phone and use it as your credit card - at least, not without some sort of intermediary process(like a barcode on your phone and a custom program on their end).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Re: Mobile phone app idea

Posted 12 July 2009 - 02:07 PM

View Postgirasquid, on 12 Jul, 2009 - 02:02 PM, said:

There's a bit of a physical problem, though - at least where I am, credit cards are swiped, whereas loyalty cards are scanned - the difference is important. It's the magnetic stripe on the credit card that's doing the work(someone who knows more can correct me if I'm wrong), so there isn't really a way for someone to scan your phone and use it as your credit card - at least, not without some sort of intermediary process(like a barcode on your phone and a custom program on their end).

That's why I suggested some sort of image for the scanner to scan, instead of swiping. The card company would be responsible for creating the image. The scanner would have to have a high definition scanner to read all the pixels in your image. Each pixel would hold like a byte or a bit or something, and all the bytes or bits would be your credit card authorization, so to speak. You put in your pin# or something to authorize it, the card company sends the image, the scanner reads the image, and your transaction is validated, verified, and, providing you have the needed funds, the transaction is approved.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1