10 Replies - 2535 Views - Last Post: 25 August 2009 - 08:07 PM Rate Topic: -----

• LIKE A BOSS
  • member icon

• View blog

Ruby programmers

Posted 13 July 2009 - 11:55 AM

Do we have any? This place seems depressingly dead for such an awesome language. We don't even have a role call!
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Ruby programmers

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Ruby programmers

Posted 13 July 2009 - 12:46 PM

This place seems depressingly dead, cause it's depressingly dead. After initial learning time, no one asks stupid little questions as PHP developers, most of them - failed C programmers. Ruby as a language is very intuitive, clean and easy to learn, and most important : programming in Ruby makes sense, compared to other "web languages" as PHP.

This post has been edited by MitkOK: 13 July 2009 - 12:47 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Saucy!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 July 2009 - 02:06 PM

Wait a minute, who's a failed C programmer? PHP programmers? Ruby? I take exception! I am not failed! :)

In the end, I do whatever pays the bills. My last job was C, PHP, and C# with some VB6 and C++ thrown in just for laughs.

Now I'm doing Ruby, Rails, and C#. Maybe at some point some Erlang, Java, Objective-C, and even Clojure. The Ruby guys I work with here are brilliant, and I hope to learn a lot from them...although, I will say this is some of the least-commented code I've ever seen, and I thought I didn't comment enough!

You've just got to be flexible, baby :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• andydust.com

• View blog

Posted 13 July 2009 - 02:22 PM

I use ruby on rails at work... but usually only when the backend guys are too busy to do something for me :P Mostly I just stick with erb.

This post has been edited by SoLi: 13 July 2009 - 02:28 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 July 2009 - 09:03 AM

View PostJackOfAllTrades, on 13 Jul, 2009 - 01:06 PM, said:

Wait a minute, who's a failed C programmer? PHP programmers? Ruby? I take exception! I am not failed! :)

In the end, I do whatever pays the bills. My last job was C, PHP, and C# with some VB6 and C++ thrown in just for laughs.

Now I'm doing Ruby, Rails, and C#. Maybe at some point some Erlang, Java, Objective-C, and even Clojure. The Ruby guys I work with here are brilliant, and I hope to learn a lot from them...although, I will say this is some of the least-commented code I've ever seen, and I thought I didn't comment enough!

Did I hear someone say... CLOJURE!?!?!?!?!111!1!ONEONE!

Ruby is relatively popular, but not /that/ popular. The most likely issue is that people find most of their answers by googling. Less /new/ developers choose Rewbeh as a first language than they do Java and such. Experienced developers have sense enough to google, whereas most new developers do not.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• LIKE A BOSS
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 July 2009 - 09:13 AM

View PostRaynes, on 20 Jul, 2009 - 12:03 PM, said:

View PostJackOfAllTrades, on 13 Jul, 2009 - 01:06 PM, said:

Did I hear someone say... CLOJURE!?!?!?!?!111!1!ONEONE!

Ruby is relatively popular, but not /that/ popular. The most likely issue is that people find most of their answers by googling. Less /new/ developers choose Rewbeh as a first language than they do Java and such. Experienced developers have sense enough to google, whereas most new developers do not.

Clojure is next on my list, after I a develop more advanced familiarity with Ruby.

This post has been edited by xclite: 20 July 2009 - 09:14 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#7 baavgai  Icon User is online

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 July 2009 - 12:39 PM

Take a look at the massive number of posts at DIC on Python...

Ruby is one of the languages programmers teach themselves for the joy of programming. I recently did a ruby on rails application at work, mostly because I was curious about the language.

It's a neat language, I enjoyed it, I'll need to write a lot more in it before I'd count myself competent. I was surprised, considering the apparent interest, at the poor quality of most of the documentation I found. Rails itself is a moving target, changing drastically with even minor revision numbers.

If someone posts a question, I'm sure we can scrape up an answer. However, the type of person who would learn Ruby is probably also the type who could figure it out on their own. Until it's taught somewhere to unsuspecting victims, expect the forum to maintain it's current serenity. ;)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 06 August 2009 - 10:11 PM

I gave ruby on rails my best shot for a couple months. It was my first attempt at server side scripting. I struggled through nearly every step of the process. When I finally achieved the ability to create an extremely basic e commerce store, I gave up. It was too difficult and something about learning it just didn't feel right. There was no way everyone was doing this and it was as easy as they all were saying.

I turned to PHP. In my mind, PHP offers more instant gratification than Ruby on Rails does. PHP applications run faster, scale easier, and most importantly (for me) they are the easiest thing in the world to deploy.

The reason I had such difficulty with Ruby on Rails was that it took me a very long time before I began to understand why I was doing what I was doing. And I think the reason behind that was because I hadn't ever done server side scripting before.

So, my advice, to anyone who stumbles upon this thread, is do not learn Ruby on Rails as your first server side scripting language (even if you've programmed applications before). It's just not how it's supposed to be done.

This post has been edited by evinrows: 06 August 2009 - 10:12 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 August 2009 - 06:31 AM

Ruby is way too simple than PHP, way to easy to learn, way too easy to write. Rails is not. Some kids enter the world of Rails without learning Ruby, without understanding OOp and MVC, without understanding how internet actually works. And thats the problem you have. I recommend you to use PHP for at least 6 months and take a look back to Ruby and Rails, I guarantee you'll regret you lost your time with PHP.

Rails is complex not because of Ruby, but for the concepts it implements. But these concepts are really great, thats why many PHP frameworks try to copy Rails ( CakePHP for example, which is really bad, etc . ).

The thing about scaling and deploying is pure bulls*it. If you write bad code it doesn't matter what language you use. And I can tell you that I can deploy rails app with less effort than PHP one.

PS: Ruby on Rails is not a scripting language, it's a framework. I guarantee you that you'' say the same thing about CakePHP/CodeIgniter/Symfony if you never touched PHP.

And don't give advices about things that you actually don't know and understand.

This post has been edited by MitkOK: 09 August 2009 - 06:37 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 25 August 2009 - 06:24 PM

Haha, this conversation is pretty interesting... And I'm a new Ruby programmer, by the way.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• LIKE A BOSS
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 August 2009 - 08:07 PM

View PostMarshall.Shen, on 25 Aug, 2009 - 09:24 PM, said:

Haha, this conversation is pretty interesting... And I'm a new Ruby programmer, by the way.

It's pretty much the best.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1