5 Replies - 13971 Views - Last Post: 15 July 2009 - 05:59 AM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

how to make setup file for asp.net project

Post icon  Posted 14 July 2009 - 07:47 AM

:D hello sir, i dont how to make a setup file or exe file for my asp.net project. please help me?
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: how to make setup file for asp.net project

• Google.Sucks.Init(true);
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: how to make setup file for asp.net project

Posted 14 July 2009 - 07:54 AM

You cannot make an ASP.NET application into an EXE file, web applications are ran on IIS and cannot be installed like an application.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Student of Life
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 July 2009 - 07:57 AM

ASP.NET does not create EXE or install files. You need to manually deploy your web application to your server or use the Publish (on Build menu) feature in Visual Studio.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 14 July 2009 - 12:33 PM

That is not entirely true that there is no installer. You can have VS make an msi file that is the installer. But this takes some different steps than you probably took... But I will give the steps anyways starting with creating the project.

1. Click File->New Project
2. Click the [+] next to Visual Basic and click web in the sub category.
3. The default should be ASP.NET Web Application, click on that (name it as you normally would), no check boxes are necessary.
4. When the new solution opens click File->Add->New Project.
5. Look down the list to the left and click the [+] next to Other Project Types.
6. Select Setup and Deployment and name it as you see fit (for example when you install it the name will appear in your address bar http://localhost/(se...)/default.aspx).
7. Now a setup file should be in your Solution Explorer (ctrl+alt+l is the key combination to make it appear). Right click on it and click Add->Project Output.
8. Ctrl click Primary Output and Content Files. Both of those should be everything that your website accesses. But feel free to select any combination of the others.
9. Then once your website is ready for deployment just right click on the setup file and click build (or rebuild). That will package all your files into 1 msi file.
10. From there (if you should choose) you can install it right from Visual Studio right onto your local machine (you need IIS installed though) or else you can take the msi (NOT THE EXE) to any computer with IIS installed (the actual location is C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\(installer Name)).

If you just created a website by clicking File->New Web Site or any other way to create a website then you need to import everything a Web Application. Post back of you need help with the import. Happy coding!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Student of Life
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 July 2009 - 05:14 PM

While that certainly would work. That is a lot of extra work, in addition to configuring IIS.

It makes more sense just to copy the files to the server and then configure IIS.

2 steps vs 11 steps. But to each, his own.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 15 July 2009 - 05:59 AM

True, that is a lot of work. But all the files are compressed and easy to move. For example, my website by itself is 33.1 MB, the msi (installer file) is only 18.2 MB. And that is configurable to be smaller if needed. Anyways (not to sound like I am trying to say I am right) but the post I made earlier answered the question of the post.

And there is no actual configuration to IIS. I was just stating that IIS needs to be installed, if it already is then yes the drag and drop method will still work as well as the msi installer.

Happy coding.

This post has been edited by s_kucksdorf: 15 July 2009 - 06:01 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1