Text Editor vs. IDE

Best beginner coding practice

Page 1 of 1

5 Replies - 2783 Views - Last Post: 14 July 2009 - 03:46 PM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Text Editor vs. IDE

Posted 14 July 2009 - 09:41 AM

Hi folks! I was recently reading a book on software objects and I came across a line that stated that learning how to code using text editors makes better programmers than using an IDE.

Frankly speaking, I belong in the category of the latter(IDE, that is) and this has sent me wondering that they might just have a point! IDEs get to do a lot of stuff for you thereby making one a little bit relaxed where as building applications from ground up with a text editor will make you want to go back and truly look into the documentation of types you intend using. Though, in a working environment where time matters a lot IDEs are a better choice.

What's your take on these?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Text Editor vs. IDE

• Google.Sucks.Init(true);
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Text Editor vs. IDE

Posted 14 July 2009 - 09:44 AM

For me it really depends, for doing HTML or CSS I suggest something like Notepad++. WYSIWYG Editors not only make you lazy they also put out horrible code, so in that case a text editor is the way to go.

As for software, I do my programming in Visual Studio, which is an IDE. I have done C# in Notepad (then compiled from command line) but for me that's a true pain and I'll use my IDE over a text editor any day.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• g++ jameson.cpp -o beverage
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 July 2009 - 09:46 AM

I think it would be worth (for experience's sake) to do a little notepad programming, but after you understand the notion, I'd move to an IDE ASAP. I am also against visual designers and would rather do it by hand if feasible.

There's some other threads on this for more elaboration.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 July 2009 - 10:07 AM

PsychoCoder said:

WYSIWYG Editors not only make you lazy they also put out horrible code, so in that case a text editor is the way to go.

WYSIWYG's can also produce a horrible output, regardless of what browser you are using x__X.

I believe that if you can program in notepad and compile via command line later, then you are a very good programmer, because you are not having the IDE's aid, however, IDE's are just wonderful tools we have for programming, and they can help you make development faster, and make life easier when debugging.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 July 2009 - 10:15 AM

I use Emacs for virtually all my development. I don't have anything against using an IDE, I just don't need an IDE, and I'm already proficient in Emacs. As a beginner, I used IDEs. Didn't harm me any, but it's still good to use a text editor so you don't get too used to the IDE's babying.

This post has been edited by Raynes: 14 July 2009 - 10:16 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Resident Curmudgeon

• View blog

Posted 14 July 2009 - 03:46 PM

View PostKYA, on 14 Jul, 2009 - 10:46 AM, said:

I think it would be worth (for experience's sake) to do a little notepad programming

As in Windows Notepad? I don't think so. Only masochists program in Notepad. I'm all for text editors, but coding in Notepad is just making things harder than they need to be.

I certainly agree that knowing how to work with a text editor is a very good thing. Too often you see beginners who are completely unable to function if they're not working in their favorite IDE. In fact, sometimes you even see that from "professionals", and that's just sad. It's always good to know enough about your language and environment that you can get by without any fancy IDE or point-and-click GUI tools.

Once you've reached that point, though, it's all just a matter of taste. Personally, I usually prefer an IDE or feature-heavy text editor, but I've worked with people who are very productive with nothing but a console window and Vim. The secret is in knowing how to use your chosen tools.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1