2 Replies - 1789 Views - Last Post: 18 July 2009 - 08:00 AM

• using System.Linq;
  • member icon

• View blog

Sun Acquisition By Oracle Approved

Post icon  Posted 17 July 2009 - 02:42 PM

The process of acquiring Sun Microsystems by Oracle is now completed. The deal ended with Oracle purchasing the Sun stock at a price of $9.50 a share ($7.4 billion total). The US Department of Justice still analyzes the deal to comply with all the antitrust policies, but it seems like the deal is sealed and now it is only a question of time.

Source: CNET

I'm just curious - how do you guys, Java developers, feel about this? How do you think, to which extent will this deal influence the future development and growth of Java?

Another interesting moment would be the next steps about MySQL. Sun acquired it not long ago, so now, if Oracle will own Sun's software line, Oracle will also inherit MySQL. What do you guys think about the evolution and development of this product? Is there a chance of it merging with Oracle or will it exist as a separate RDBMS branch?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Sun Acquisition By Oracle Approved

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Sun Acquisition By Oracle Approved

Posted 18 July 2009 - 07:17 AM

Let's think...

Whether Oracle replaces Sun with Oracle, or if they indeed stay Sun, it doesn't matter. In any case, I think it'll help since developers can have access to multiple programs to work on one project (look at Adobe and Macromedia).

As for the MySQL, I'd hope they would maintain it as a seperate entity in the years ahead (e.g. Oracle: This is what we do *list*, oh and there is also MySQL which we do... all the way over here *puts arm out like a side hug*).

ORACLE
   |____________
   |            |
  JAVA        MySQL

This post has been edited by Quin: 18 July 2009 - 07:21 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Sun Acquisition By Oracle Approved

Posted 18 July 2009 - 08:00 AM

I also think it would be interesting to see what Oracle has in plan for Solaris. I could see them launching a "ready to go" solaris server with the goodies set to be finished up by the onsite tech. So hopefully this will provided some great benefits to both of the companies in this. Also on a off topic note any more news on intel purchasing wind river?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1