6 Replies - 928 Views - Last Post: 12 August 2009 - 06:15 AM

• Admiral Fancy Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Source Forge is getting worse

Posted 19 July 2009 - 02:13 AM

Is it just me, or has anyone else had it up to here with all of the changes at source forge? I can't even navigate my own projects anymore, because the stupid website is all web 2.0 looking & so convienient that I have no idea, or desire to understand where everything is moved to.

It worked fine the way it was & then they go & change it.

Today I sign in, & I can't even LOAD my projects, because I'm on a Windows PC, so by default it won't show Linux projects.

WTF? Are software developers THIS stupid, that we need someone to auto detect our OS now too? Seriously.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Source Forge is getting worse

• using System.Linq;
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Source Forge is getting worse

Posted 19 July 2009 - 04:31 AM

I haven't used SourceForge for a while (maybe since 2006) but I remember it was quite normally designed at that time.

s of now, I can see both positive and negative elements in the new design. I like the way top applications for the system you are using are displayed. However, I find it rather non-efficient when it comes to search - I typed "notepad" as the keyword and it did not find anything (hey, what about Notepad++ I was looking for?). The new interface for displaying information about various projects is a bit confusing at the beginning but probably it is just a matter of time to get used to this.

Anyway, I am using CodePlex instead, since I find it more efficient and reliable.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• sudo apt-get install brain
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 July 2009 - 06:32 AM

It's been increasingly hard to do simple/common tasks on SourceForge with all its "improvements". It just ridiculous when you can't even upload the file on it and update you project!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 July 2009 - 10:11 AM

When SF first started, they were amazing. They offered what no one else did, they actually had a usable interface (see a web archive of their 2000 interface), and really, they had momentum.

Their most visible flaw right now is the usability disaster. Seriously, they should revert to the design from 9 years ago, which was actually usable. Even the one from 2001 is better than this mess. I didn't like their second design revision, which I thought looked ugly, but at least it was still usable.

Their initial service offering was pretty amazing. Shell access, compile farm, free disk space, etc. Free code hosting services now don't even match that. But SF have scaled back their services.

Getting worse? They stagnated in 2001 itself. I think they are a dotcom era company that hasn't gone bust simply because of how much is dependent on their existence. They have scaled back several services, but the only major new service they have offered since 2000 is SVN repos...

If SF wants to revitalize itself, they need to do three things. They need to shed load, now. Ditch the CVS service, the webpage offerings, etc. Seriously cut off inactive projects. They need to get a lean and simple site redesign. It'll tick off everyone who is suffering through their attempts at a flashy design, but if they hire someone who can come up with a basic usable design, they are on their way. Then find a revenue model. Their last attempt to get revenues was a paid subscription, and it looks like that hasn't panned out well.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• MrCupOfT
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 July 2009 - 10:17 AM

Why don't you try CodePlex?

This post has been edited by AdamSpeight2008: 19 July 2009 - 11:01 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 July 2009 - 10:51 AM

Just as long as you remember your comments about SourceForge when developing your own applications.

Any of us Seasoned programmers know that there is a point of efficiency where it actually becomes less user friendly. They evidently only tested the new interface with programmers that our seriously intense in thought, instead of us programmers that handle a Life, Real Work Projects, and Hobby Projects. We literally want to browse through our projects like a Dummy, Point & Click and BAMMM there is my information. Not, Point & Click, Point & Click, Point & Click, and then Point & Click & "Loading...." & partials Information.

Make sure this complaining keeps your eyes open to the 170 degree viewport that we all have.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Segmentation fault
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 August 2009 - 06:15 AM

All I can say is, it seems like every time I actually have a need to go to the sourceforge web page it has a different interface. :)

I like the different version control options, I like the web page hosting, I like the shell access. I don't know of any other project hosting sites that have all of these things.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1