Want a few reviews of my Appliction

Page 1 of 1

6 Replies - 599 Views - Last Post: 22 July 2009 - 09:03 AM

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Grant Application

Post icon  Posted 19 July 2009 - 12:19 PM

I would be thankful for a few reviews of my Grant Appliction. (It's already turned in, the deadline came fast than I thought.)

Throughout my high school life I always thought that I wanted to attend college, maybe a university. Then when reality
hit, I realized that I wanted something "fast and focused." When I visited PTI, it was very obvious that it was the right choice.
PTI seemed to be exactly the school that has the concentrated training I need to prepare me for my future. This education means
everything to me. An education at PTI will give me an opportunity to obtain not only employment but a real career in my field.
However, paying for this education is an issue.

My parents have not been able to save any money for my college education. My family lives on one income since my Mother is
self employed. My Mother's business is only five years old and every penny earned is needed to keep the business running in our
small town. Therefore, my Father is the sole provider for my family. Unfortunately for my Dad, we have been unable to sell our
last home, and have been forced to pay for both homes for the last seven years. To put it simply, my family has absolutely no
"extra" money, or even anything "saved up" to help me out with college expenses.

Over the past few months I have done everything I can to prepare ahead, including learning languages and writing programs.
I want to get to a real job in Computer Programming. I know PTI will get me there. I just need the money to complete my dreams.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Grant Application

#2 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Grant Application

Posted 20 July 2009 - 12:41 PM

It sounds like a need based grant. Your story is good, but you should've had someone proof read way beforehand b/c you could have reworked the wording & grammar a ton. Also, (this may just be my opinion) it's not fair to ask them for money if you can't/won't show you're willing to work or find some way to help pay. Even if it is only a small portion. However, I hope you get your money. Good luck!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 20 July 2009 - 01:18 PM

What kind of grant is it? If it's a merit-based award, then writing a paragraph about how you have no money is a major mistake. Financial needs are never considered in giving academic awards.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 July 2009 - 01:48 PM

View PostSteeeve, on 20 Jul, 2009 - 02:18 PM, said:

What kind of grant is it? If it's a merit-based award, then writing a paragraph about how you have no money is a major mistake. Financial needs are never considered in giving academic awards.

Ehh.. Not never, but rarely. And if they are considered, they aren't the focus of the grant; instead, they are used to weed out students who don't need the money.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 21 July 2009 - 11:41 AM

I would think the ones who dont need the money are the ones who dont bother to apply for a grant.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#6 macosxnerd101  Icon User is online

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 July 2009 - 12:29 PM

View PostSteeeve, on 21 Jul, 2009 - 12:41 PM, said:

I would think the ones who dont need the money are the ones who dont bother to apply for a grant.

Let me rephrase, whose parents make over $xx,xxx.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 July 2009 - 09:03 AM

Yes, it is a need-based grant (I forgot about that, sorry).

I know it needed some rewording, but the deadline came up fast on me because I received it late in the mail :-(

anyway, thanks.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1