2 Replies - 834 Views - Last Post: 20 July 2009 - 07:33 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

ROR vs J2EE in a serious web app

Posted 19 July 2009 - 03:38 PM

Hello! I'm a developer experienced in .NET, c++, Java, etc, trying to build a complicated web app for organizing contests & stuff, dedicated especially to students. The application will run on a public server and I want to be faster and well optimized because the app is supposed to maintain simultaneous contests and a lot of users. My first choice for development platform was J2EE: 3 tier web app, Hibernate for persistence layer, Spring for business layer and JSF + RichFaces for presentation layer. I learned basic J2EE(servlets, jsf & stuff). I have been learning Spring, Hibernate, JSF, etc and I realized J2EE it's complicated and I am supposed to write a lot of code and XML even for simple things. I still have things to learn, especially in JSF and Richfaces. If I choose J2EE as development platform I think I will finish the app in at least an year. But this is not what I want, I need to finish the app faster. So, I read about Ruby on Rails, a new web app development platform which simplifies code and somehow "fixes" all disadvantages of other platforms. The web app I want to build is meant participating at different programming contests for high-schools and universities (I'm 16 years old) and if I have success with it I want to take it one step further and make it public. I'm thinking about changing to Rails, since it is easier, it has a faster development time and so on, but in the same time I'm not sure about it's performance compared to Java. My app is somehow an enterprise app and J2ee is best choice for enterprise app. I also think j2ee is more mature and will impress a jury more than Rails. So, can someone help me with some advices?

This post has been edited by AnduA: 19 July 2009 - 03:39 PM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: ROR vs J2EE in a serious web app

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: ROR vs J2EE in a serious web app

Posted 19 July 2009 - 11:11 PM

You'll probably take more time using Rails than Java, because you don't know it.

Maybe the jury would be more impressed if you could build a good app in Rails than Java.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: ROR vs J2EE in a serious web app

Posted 20 July 2009 - 07:33 AM

Ruby and Rails are not so hard to learn. I made some simple apps in Ruby and considering I know programming very well I don't think it will take much time learning it. Regarding Rails, I have some step-by-step books that will help me a lot. (I already know stuff about MVC pattern and web app arhitecture).
I said a J2ee will impress a jury more because when it comes to web apps, students choose popular platforms like PHP or ASP.NET and they don't care so much about architecture and standards. A well designed web app build on a mature platform will impress the jury and also will run faster, will be more secure, etc.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1