5 Replies - 1094 Views - Last Post: 02 January 2011 - 09:47 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Geeks In A Flash

Post icon  Posted 19 July 2009 - 06:33 PM

A few weeks ago, I responded to an ad on Craigs List that lead to me getting a response from a company called 'Geeks In A Flash'. It looks like a basic IT outsourcing firm, but the need for me to purchase $1 Million of liability insurance for myself makes me wonder about the legitimacy of this firm.

Has anyone ever heard of this agency/firm? How'd it go, were you able to get enough work?
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Geeks In A Flash

#2 Martyr2  Icon User is online

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Geeks In A Flash

Posted 19 July 2009 - 07:30 PM

Well they look legit (that isn't saying much though) but the liability insurance would have me wondering too. Frankly I wouldn't do it and forget all about them. There is no reason to take on the liability insurance because any job you get the liability falls on the shoulders of your employer. No where have I heard that a company would require liability insurance prior to placement with an employer. Only time I can think of you might need that is if you were an independent contractor working on large computer systems.

:blink:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Still the sexiest mofo.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 December 2010 - 03:58 AM

you dont need it unless youre working on a big project or youre careless and someone sues you for a careless act. if youre looking for ic work, check onforce, servicelive and nexicore. where you located? im an onforce pro supervisor looking to expand my area.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 31 December 2010 - 08:39 AM

View PostMartyr2, on 19 July 2009 - 06:30 PM, said:

Well they look legit (that isn't saying much though) but the liability insurance would have me wondering too. Frankly I wouldn't do it and forget all about them. There is no reason to take on the liability insurance because any job you get the liability falls on the shoulders of your employer. No where have I heard that a company would require liability insurance prior to placement with an employer. Only time I can think of you might need that is if you were an independent contractor working on large computer systems.

:blink:

Not always true. There's situations where the employee is indeed the liable party, or at the very least both the employee (for their negligent actions) and the employer are both considered liable. It's very common place for lawyer firms to require their employees to have a large personal liability policy - your home/renters/car/whatever insurance company probably offers umbrella insurance for this sort of thing. From my experience (I work in insurance), the only people who tend to have umbrella policies usually do potentially dangerous work, make a lot of money, have a highly visible profession, or have a lot of money/assets.

I have a very hard time understanding why an IT company would require you to have a $1,000,000 liability policy, though. This is certainly a red flag, and if you proceed do so with caution. Unless you're being promoted to an executive position at a large location, I'd personally avoid an IT post that thinks it's in your best interest to carry that kind of insurance.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I'm a cheeseburger
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 December 2010 - 11:22 AM

The only time I ever needed liability insurance in that amount... I was driving tractor trailer. This of course was sub contracted work. The times I wasn't an independent contractor, the employer supplied the liability insurance.

Is this sub contracted work? How much do they pay? What does the job consist of?

See in a truck the reason is because it's a dangerous job, and you have the property of private customers (we hauled private units) that were very valuable (mostly luxury vehicles).

But this "Geeks in a Flash" company looks like a basic consumer IT service. Like "Geek Squad" from Best Buy (which are crap none the less). I haven't met anyone from "Geeks in a Flash", but the "Geek Squad" guys I know certainly weren't required to have this kind of insurance.

The only reason I could see it being required is that the company is sub contracting you and then in case of problems they are pushing the liability onto you. And unless you're making big bucks, there is no reason to accept such a condition. For instance when driving truck sub contracted you're liable yourself and the fault comes on you in case of damages, etc. BUT you get a much larger piece of the pie (75 - 85%)... and you usually have to pay your own fuel as well.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 02 January 2011 - 09:47 AM

Ah - I'm guilty of not looking up the IT firm at all. If it's a $1M personal auto liability policy for yourself while on business, then this makes sense. I didn't realize it was similar to Geek Squad (where you'll be travelling on the job). The need for this coverage would be legit then - it seems unlikely, but one bad crash and a $1,000,000 might not even be enough, and that unlikely-but-possible scenario could absolutely ruin a person or a small business. I still find it odd that YOU have to get it instead of the firm having their own policy for their employees.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1