• (2 Pages)
  • +

21 Replies - 4618 Views - Last Post: 27 July 2009 - 10:22 AM

• using System.Linq;
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Microsoft Contributes Code To The Linux Kernel

Posted 21 July 2009 - 02:37 PM

To be exact on what code was released, it was representing the Hyper-V Linux Integration Components.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 21 July 2009 - 03:53 PM

I may sound paranoid, but I don't trust Microsoft. They spent years calling the GPL a virus and making threats about suing companies using Linux and not paying royalties; which they acted upon with TomTom. If Microsoft would sue over a frivolous patent like FAT, what's to stop them from suing over something more complex like .NET? Microsoft has a long history of abusing their monopoly. I could easily see Microsoft taking companies to court over this or Mono claiming that "well you see judge, this piece doesn't apply to the community promise" and try to find a way to weasel around their prior commitments.

It's not that I'm anti-MS. I've used Windows for years and some of their products like Office and .NET are amazing software. I don't hate Microsoft, but that doesn't mean I want them to be a monopoly and trample Linux. I just want them to play fair. If these contributions are genuine, then I'd welcome it. But given how they just sued TomTom, I find that hard to believe. You can't say you'll play nice with open source companies one day and then sue them the next.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 July 2009 - 11:30 PM

For all the times I've had to use Linux to mount Vista to make it stop crashing or recover important data I would see it as a smart move on their part too. But yeah, I would be suspicious of Microsoft editing Linux's source code. Whether or not you love or hate them, if you heard Coke had started editing Pepsi's recipe what would you think? What do they have to gain. But there are review committees that review and test code before it is allowed to be put in the kernel. Linus wasn't dumb :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Segmentation fault
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 July 2009 - 11:57 AM

Please don't bring Mono into this, and please don't turn this into a Windows vs Linux thread.

The code Microsoft submitted in this case helps Linux perform better on Microsoft's Hyper-V product.

I'm as paranoid as anyone, but Microsoft would be stupid to sue over something like this considering that they contributed it and considering that it encourages people to ultimately go with a Microsoft solution even if they are using Linux...

This post has been edited by Tom9729: 22 July 2009 - 11:58 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• g+ + -o drink whiskey.cpp
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 July 2009 - 09:21 AM

While the value of the contribution cannot be disputed, there now appears to be some question as to the driving motivations behind the decision.

If what is stated is correct, MS had used GPL governed open source code in the drivers initially - obligating them to release under the GPL as well, or risk litigation.

Frankly, I'm more interested in the result as opposed to the motivation (meaning I see the release as a good thing despite the reasoning) - although it may not foster that 'warm and fuzzy' trust feeling. ;)

http://www.osnews.co...f_GPL_Violation

http://www.theregist..._gpl_violation/

I caught the story on /. here:

http://news.slashdot...o-GPL-Violation

where (predictably) it is fostering some interesting tinfoil hat viewpoints. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 23 July 2009 - 06:51 PM

View PostPsychoCoder, on 20 Jul, 2009 - 12:16 PM, said:

Microsoft never ceases to amaze me, first they start releasing source code, then the Community Promise Patenting to C# and CLI, now code for the Linux kernel. Maybe they're really trying to finally open up to the open source community (it's about damn time if you ask me)

You need to read up on Spec Ops tactics...also you need to read about USA foreign policy.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Real Skynet
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 July 2009 - 10:22 AM

Barring the GPL violation point, it could well be they're trying to increase use of Hyper-V. I represented my company at one of their Partner meetings here in town (got a free copy of Vista Ultimate for my trouble, along with other nifty software), and they were selling Hyper-V hard. Apparently they're pushing for improved virtualization due to its spike in use in recent years, and are probably doing this, as was said earlier, so users will be more inclined to use Microsoft's solution as opposed to someone else's. This way, even on Linux machines, Microsoft is still getting "airtime". They probably figure if folks like Hyper-V enough, they'll be more inclined to check out its other software.

In short, probably just advertising if they're not just dodging lawsuits again.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +