• +
  • Last »

78 Replies - 3566 Views - Last Post: 25 December 2009 - 06:21 AM

• Pirate Medic
  • member icon

• View blog

Morality?

Posted 20 July 2009 - 12:36 PM

It seems to me that Morality is just a tool of subjigation and that those that teach what morals they want scociety to live by.... But they dont apply to them.

So what morals do you live by? and do you still live by them even when it seams that you are the only person that does.
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Morality?

• g+ + -o drink whiskey.cpp
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Morality?

Posted 20 July 2009 - 01:06 PM

I actually have very few morals I live by...perhaps a by product of my having been such a wretched human being for so many years :). A few of the ones I do have:

1. I never ask anyone to do anything I'd not be willing to do myself.
2. I will do what I must to protect and provide for my family.
3. I do not keep silent if by doing so the wrong course of action will be taken. I will at least try to right the ship.

As for keeping to them...hard to say. I'll freely admit that I've not been tested in many hardship situations. It's quite easy to stick to my own personal high ground when everything is going my way. I may feel different if I had to go through some really trying times.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 July 2009 - 01:09 PM

my morals = kids are hot and the right to know that they are

thats most of it...oh and help snoop dogg kick bill o'reilly in the shins
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 July 2009 - 02:09 PM

View PostThorian, on 20 Jul, 2009 - 01:36 PM, said:

It seems to me that Morality is just a tool of subjigation and that those that teach what morals they want scociety to live by.... But they dont apply to them.

So what morals do you live by? and do you still live by them even when it seams that you are the only person that does.

That statement dredged up a memory from junior high of a poster saying "What is popular is not always right, and what right is not always popular". I believe it was between the poster of the "kitteh" dangling from a wire with the phrase "hang in there" and some random Garfield poster.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 July 2009 - 02:24 PM

Very interesting topic. For me, I don't parade the high moral ground, but I try to stick to my morals which are:

1- Respect free will & the right to choice. People have the right to choose, and disagree w/others' choices, but not the right to try to force a change. (Examples: Religion, abortion, homosexuality and alternative lifestyles, etc.)

2- Don't be a burden to other people. (I'm still a minor, but I carry my weight as much as is possible w/in my household by trying to save my parents as much money as possible).

3- Beyond the first 2, I'm extremely Machiavellian (ie., Rule like a lion & a fox, the ends justify the means, it is better to be feared than loved but strive for both, the right to retribution || justice).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pirate Medic
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 July 2009 - 07:38 AM

The reason for my question, was that I was thinking that the same people that are dictating how man should live are the ones that are most often doing the things that they are telling you not to do.

For example there was this one Pastor when I was a kid that was always preaching shit about lust and the downfall of man. Turns out he was using the marridge counceling sessions as his own personal brothel with the women that were coming to him for advice.

Then you have all the Catholic Pedophile Priests.

The Politians that are against gay marrage but are soliciting sex in airport bathrooms.

Then you look around at everyone cheating on their mates, Stealing everything that isnt nailed down, and just plain being a dickhead to mankind.

I have never cheated on anyone, and that makes me the extreme minority as everyone else I have ever met has been fucking around. My mom Cheated on my dad my dad cheated on my mom, my father in law cheated on my Mother in law. Grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, friends, coworkers, everyone.

Makes me wonder if im the only fool that still honors their oaths and promices.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 July 2009 - 10:15 AM

Don't screw with other people. Or, do unto others... It's the golden rule, appears in most religions, hard to really are argue with. If everyone followed just this honestly, the world would be a much happier place.

I don't lie. Or, more specifically, I don't try to avoid the repercussions of my actions. I try to never do or say anything that would make me feel like an idiot if caught on tape. Nothing necessarily altruistic here, it just makes life easier.

I never volunteer for something unless I'm absolutely willing to do it. I have nice friends who feel the need to offer themselves even when they don't want to. They often feel like they're being used; they are. The corollary to that is never doing anything with an expectation of reward. Reward is nice, but it's not the best motivation.

In a nutshell, the noble eightfold path seems reasonable to me and I try to follow it.

As to why the proselytizers often seem fail follow their own commandments... It wouldn't really occur to someone who was pure of thought to warn against all manner of atrocity; they wouldn't really consider such actions as options. The ones who protest certain behaviors the loudest are those who contemplate them the most strongly; often to their own self disgust.

Makes me think of the most utterly bizarre rant I've ever seen on gay marriage. Here's a choice quote:

The social history behind this piece is clear: once they've experienced sex with other men, Catullus tells us, men are unsatisfied with what their new wives provide them. Notice that the poet is unconcerned about the husband's dallying with other women -- it's the other men around that threaten the marital union.
-- http://blog.beliefne...y-marriage.html

Yep, not making this up. This guy really needs a boy friend and feels every other guy must feel the same way. I've had a lot of gay friends, never really felt to urge to jump any of them. Well, except the girls; what is it about lesbians... :P
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 July 2009 - 04:02 PM

@Baavgai: If you look back to Greco-Roman times (more Geece than Rome), women were seen as evils and punishments from the gods for Prometheus' action of bringing fire to mortals. So women were used to procreate, and perform household chores, but men were taught to enjoy other men & resist the temptations of women. When the churches came in, they were of course opposed to same-sex unions b/c then no legitimate procreation would occur, and that meant fewer members to pay tithings. I agree with you on lesbians though, as long as they're hot.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 July 2009 - 05:04 PM

View Postmacosxnerd101, on 21 Jul, 2009 - 05:02 PM, said:

If you look back to Greco-Roman times (more Geece than Rome), women were seen as evils and punishments from the gods

You're confusing early Semitics with ancient Greece.

Many of Grecian city states offered women freedoms that were seen very rarely in Western Civilization up until the modern suffrage movements. Sparta was the most notable men for men state and actually had women running the show while men were out kicking, and buggering, ancient butt.

You are referring to myths like Pandora's Box, which can be seen as a precursor to Original Sin. However, the Greeks had an almost alien sense of Fate and pre destiny. The story of Pandora would have been seen an obvious outcome in accordance to nature. It's also notable that the Hope at the bottom of the box is not seen as a blessing, but rather a most significant evil. Hope allows man to defy fate and thus endure more suffering by not following the will of the gods.

Women are often seen as weaker, but not necessarily inferior in the ancient world. Women were sometimes strongly protected, to the point that a man might kill another without legal reprisal to defend his wife, daughter, or mother. The Christian prejudice against women often shades our perception of other cultures. Early cultures often held women in higher regard than some modern historians were willing to see.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Isn't a volcano just an angry hill?
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 July 2009 - 05:54 PM

View PostThorian, on 20 Jul, 2009 - 12:36 PM, said:

Posted Image

Seams like all the misspellings lately have been clothing-related.

This post has been edited by WolfCoder: 22 July 2009 - 05:55 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pirate Medic
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 July 2009 - 07:58 AM

Douche'
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 July 2009 - 04:05 PM

*stabs kanvus*

This post has been edited by WolfCoder: Tomorrow, 09:21 PM
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• g++ jameson.cpp -o beverage
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 July 2009 - 04:07 PM

LOL

I think that's the first time I've seen that.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Isn't a volcano just an angry hill?
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 July 2009 - 09:11 PM

I actually said Douche' before a long long time ago and then everyone started to say it. It was because someone said you had to add the fancy ' at the end of Touche and said Touche', and then I responded with Douche'. It's probably shorthand for "Touche', douche."

This post has been edited by WolfCoder: 23 July 2009 - 09:11 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pirate Medic
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 July 2009 - 10:08 AM

Shit like this is exactly what I am talking about

http://www.google.co...TvKjKAD99KMADO0

The people trusted their holy man for their spiritual advancement and instead just got some pedo jerk bag.

It seems that it is the typical story, guy gets power, guy uses power tells people how to live thier lives and litterally fucked them over. BRING ON THE ANARCHY
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (6 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »