Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Recovering D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Morality?

Posted 24 July 2009 - 03:35 PM

I believe in acknowledging that the decisions and actions of others may be a result of circumstances beyond my imagination. I also believe in not using less than perfect personal circumstances as an excuse for my poor actions and judgment.
I suppose that above all, it is none of my business what an adult chooses to think, feel, possess, ingest, wear, say or otherwise do alone or with other consenting adults provided such actions and behaviors are not a direct cause of harm (physical, financial or otherwise) to other living beings or non-living entities (property) they do not possess; except in cases where the defense or proliferation of a life depends on it. I would define 'life' as pertaining to both an actual living organism and the quality of a human life.
For instance, I don't believe in hunting for sport. As a matter of fact, it sickens me that people kill animals solely to mount their heads on a wall. That is an example of an action that harms life and does not defend or proliferate it (neither actual life nor the quality of a life).
Hunting for survival and making use of every part of the animal is an example of an action that harms life, but also defends it.
Such also goes for freedom of speech. You can speak critically of a person and their actions\behaviors in a manner that is acceptable or you can cross the line and speak in a manner that is just plain malicious (slanderous) and could actually interfere with the quality of someones life.

Abortion is a good one. It brings me to the next point I try to live by which is that some things just do not warrant an opinion. Having morals is one thing, and it is great if you actually live by them and they help you in life, but you cannot (should not) use your morals to try and dictate what is right or wrong for every facet of social choice. There are actually cases (I believe) in which we just don't have the right to have an opinion. Abortion is an excellent example of this. I am a male, and I do not believe that men have the right to have an opinion on abortion. If there were ever to be a vote held for instance, all votes from men should be void. We will never be in that kind of position and we can't assume how we would feel or what we would do, it just isn't possible given all the possibilities.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 24 July 2009 - 04:04 PM

I consider myself simplistic with regard to morality. However, I have found that the business world doesn't share this viewpoint. That involves both public and private sectors, and the fields of government, industry, education, and the military. The two core problems that I contend with are entities that exist and are inherently a blank slate with regard to morality, and individuals who act while screening their actions behind these entities.

Yes, I stand by my morals, regardless of the short-term consequences. And I firmly believe that Machiavelli and his followers are in the section provided by Dante - forever pushing their stone.

This post has been edited by sscheider: 24 July 2009 - 04:06 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Isn't a volcano just an angry hill?
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 July 2009 - 09:15 PM

View PostKYA, on 24 Jul, 2009 - 10:18 AM, said:

I enjoy generalizations.

Posted Image
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• It's That Guy
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 August 2009 - 09:20 PM

Wolfcoder: +1

This post has been edited by ccubed: 17 August 2009 - 09:20 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 18 August 2009 - 08:03 AM

View PostKanvus, on 20 Jul, 2009 - 12:09 PM, said:

my morals = kids are hot and the right to know that they are

thats most of it...oh and help snoop dogg kick bill o'reilly in the shins

You know you sound like a pedophile, right?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 September 2009 - 05:36 PM

Hrm... well 'morals' like ethics and various other nonsense topics are indeed simply ideas that people came up with to control others and have no objective logical basis.

That being said, some of my ideas I like to live by are:
1. First and foremost "Don't question me, for I am right" :D j/k
2. Try not to look at things with a biased image. Try to see things from other points of view.
3. Everybody should be bi, or at least keep such a mindset (insofar as they are not sexist or biased towards one over another for any reason)
4. Money is meaningless, it's only necessary at the present time to survive as I don't have my own resources.
5. Only concrete things should be sold. Abstract ideas (pretty much anything that can be digitized) should not be sold as I believe in the free distribution and exchange of ideas. This means I totally support the idea of open-source software and the like. Besides the fact that if you try hard enough pretty much anything digitized can be obtained for free.
6. Do not express aggression towards others unless you are defending yourself.
7. Words are merely symbols not unlike the symbols used in the maths and sciences, therefore words carry no inherent meaning and are open to interpretation. This means that even words such as those that are considered vulgar or profane are only considered that by those who give them such meanings and are only vulgar or profane insofar as those people choose to believe that they are. I don't believe that any word is inherently bad so there is no such things as a vulgar or profane word, they are just symbols of meaning that can differ from one language to another.
8. People are equals. The idea that one person is better than another is ridiculous. Status, class, etc. are all man-made concepts and mean nothing in the grand scheme of things.
9. WAR IS WRONG. PERIOD.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 September 2009 - 03:58 PM

@jaa

Since you seemed to have necroed the gang of threads, and #5 is being taken care elsewhere let me address #7.

Sure.. words are symbols and inherently fuzzy, but you ignore any and all history attached to the word or symbol. If you chose to ignore it and bury your head in the sand versus taking the whole view in that is your own fault and enjoy the consequences.

I am reminded of an instance where a friend of mine had a dorm mate who constantly used the term 'boy' when talking to my buddy. This kid's parents used the term constantly when referring to a person of color... he was ignorant of the history of the word and using it to refer to a black person. After some talking and background education he stopped. A positive change.

Clerks 2 had a great sequence about taking "porch monkey back". Sure Randal tried to ignore the history but his friends had to deal with the consequences of that blind eye.

Oh and #7 contradicts with #2.

re: #8 - what grand scheme of things?

re: #9 - not even over resources?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 September 2009 - 03:59 AM

As for the language question, I view communication as defined by the person speaking. They may learn an idea through how it has been used through history, but it's up to the person speaking and the person listening to give their own interpretation to the words. I have my own view of language, so I never mean anything beyond what I'm trying to communicate. This may not be saying a lot, but it means something to me. :D
I do not feel it contradicts #2 because as I said, it's up to both the speaker and listener as to how they want to interpret the idea, but most of the time I just don't really care how the listener interprets it unless I feel it is important enough to care about. That doesn't mean I don't consider it, else even the latter case wouldn't apply :D
#8 grand scheme of things in this case just being a filler term for "in general" or "at all"
#9 WAR IS WRONG. PERIOD. I don't care if you need resources, if you can't get along and share them with somebody else, then you don't deserve them. If there is not enough to go around, then figure out something amicably. If this is not possible then SOL.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 September 2009 - 09:45 AM

So if you lived in a country with dwindling resources and you had people starving in the streets and the neighboring country would not help you, you wouldn't go to war with them?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 September 2009 - 11:34 AM

Well first of all, I don't believe in the concept of "other countries" so that's kind of a moot point. But if that were the case then one could still obtain them by any means possible without resorting to violence.

(btw, personally, how can you be a linux supporter but still prefer xbox?)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#27 NeoTifa  Icon User is online

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 September 2009 - 11:38 AM

View Postmodi123_1, on 20 Jul, 2009 - 01:09 PM, said:

View PostThorian, on 20 Jul, 2009 - 01:36 PM, said:

It seems to me that Morality is just a tool of subjigation and that those that teach what morals they want scociety to live by.... But they dont apply to them.

So what morals do you live by? and do you still live by them even when it seams that you are the only person that does.

That statement dredged up a memory from junior high of a poster saying "What is popular is not always right, and what right is not always popular". I believe it was between the poster of the "kitteh" dangling from a wire with the phrase "hang in there" and some random Garfield poster.

Lol the Garfield poster was of him barking and it said something along the lines of "It's always nice to try something different" or something. Lol

My morals? I believe in Karma, so what you do comes back 3 fold. I try to respect peoples cultures and religious beliefs, I'm against racism, and I don't like lying. Despite the fact that I'm a compulsive liar, I only lie a little to make stories slightly more interesting :) But I never cheat (DAMN IT I HATE CHEATERS!!!!), I'm extremely loyal, and would do almost anything to help someone in need (unless they've abused that).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• LIKE A BOSS
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 September 2009 - 11:41 AM

View PostJaakuuta, on 20 Sep, 2009 - 02:34 PM, said:

Well first of all, I don't believe in the concept of "other countries" so that's kind of a moot point. But if that were the case then one could still obtain them by any means possible without resorting to violence.

Unfortunately, there are countries. They exist. War isn't necessary, England and France definitely did well with appeasement.

Show me a Linux-based or open-source console that can even compete with the GameCube.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 September 2009 - 01:42 PM

View PostJaakuuta, on 20 Sep, 2009 - 10:34 AM, said:

What is the problem with countries?

I never stated why I support linux so you're just making assumptions.
Plus my brother bought an xbox and it happens to have bad ass games. :D

This post has been edited by syfran: 21 September 2009 - 01:42 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• g++ jameson.cpp -o beverage
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 September 2009 - 01:43 PM

...you don't "believe in other countries?" HAHAHAHA
Was This Post Helpful? 0