2 Replies - 639 Views - Last Post: 25 July 2009 - 12:29 PM

• Admiral Fancy Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Tips are appreciated

Posted 21 July 2009 - 01:03 PM

Where you work do you accept tips?

If you don't, how does it make you feel when someone gives you a few extra bucks?

Are you a tipper yourself?

The reason I ask is because this is the 2nd time this week someone has dropped me a few extra dollars, & I'm not really sure how to feel about it.

Normally it's $10 or $20, & it's based on an extreme situation. In the past I've gotten a tip because :

a.) I did an in house service in a blizzard!
b.) Had a computer repair (virus cleaning) turn-around time of a few hours
c.) Fixed 3 laptops in 1 evening for the same customer

Those are expected. So I didn't feel any differently about it. But today I just got $3 for taking a customers computer to her car. I feel bad because I offered because she's a lady, not because I expected any extra out of it. It's like customer service has a price... I just wanted to help her on her way. *shrug* I'm interested in others opinions & unique situations.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Tips are appreciated

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Re: Tips are appreciated

Posted 24 July 2009 - 04:46 PM

America is renowned as a country where tipping is expected. At least that's what some friends have told me after a trip to the States...from cab drivers to hotel porters, waitresses and tour guides, they all seemingly expect to receive a tip. Not so long ago I met a girl from the US who was over here in Belfast (Ireland) and had a part-time job as a waitress in a pub...I think you call them bar-tenders??
Anyway, she was really miffed because she never got any tips at all!! Complained about it no end!
It would appear, no2, that you are an exception to the rule...a very modest guy indeed. If you were here in Belfast you would very rarely receive a tip...it's not that we are an ungrateful people, far from it! It's just not something that is according to our culture, whereas in America it certainly is according to culture. So be thankful my friend, while at the same time maintaining your humble mind about it all. You're a rare breed, no2...but a welcome one at that no doubt. ;)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Tips are appreciated

Posted 25 July 2009 - 12:29 PM

I feel embarrassed when my parents give measly tips. I also feel bad when I do not tip people like pizza delivery (because I could use the tip money for something else).

I don't think you should really be offended by tips, then again.... receiving tips if you're in the higher class society is kind of offensive.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1