• (2 Pages)
  • +

24 Replies - 4561 Views - Last Post: 12 August 2009 - 03:40 PM

• using System.Linq;
  • member icon

• View blog

Windows 7 - Now RTM

Post icon  Posted 22 July 2009 - 02:56 PM

According to the Windows Team Blog, Windows 7 has officially entered the RTM stage. The build completed, all the validation checks have passed and now it's ready. Is it available to the open public yet? Nope, not yet. But the dates when it will be available for the specific groups of customers are also known.

ISV (Independent software vendor) and IHV (Independent hardware vendor) Partners: (through Microsoft Connect or MSDN) - August 6th, 2009
Microsoft Partner Program Gold/Certified Members: (through Microsoft Partner Network (MPN) Portal) - August 16th, 2009
Microsoft Action Pack Subscribers: August 23th, 2009
OEMs: Approximately 2 days after we officially RTM (~ July 24, 2009)
Volume License (VL) customer with an existing Software Assurance (SA): (through Volume License Service Center (VLSC)) - August 6th, 2009
Volume License customers without a SA license: September 1st, 2009
IT Professionals with TechNet Subscriptions: August 6th, 2009
Developers with MSDN Subscriptions: August 6th, 2009
Other customers (retail): October 22nd, 2009

It is definitely a great operating system and I can't wait to make the switch and take advantage of the new features (especially Windows 7 API). What about you?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Windows 7 - Now RTM

• Google.Sucks.Init(true);
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Windows 7 - Now RTM

Posted 22 July 2009 - 03:08 PM

Excellent, I've been waiting for this! I really like Windows 7. One thing I loved about Vista was the GUI, Windows 7 has that GUI but it's much faster and doesn't require as many resource to run.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• g++ jameson.cpp -o beverage
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 July 2009 - 06:08 PM

Hooray! I've been looking forward to this since I procrastinated so long on Vista...heh.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Isn't a volcano just an angry hill?
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 July 2009 - 08:01 PM

View PostPsychoCoder, on 22 Jul, 2009 - 03:08 PM, said:

...Windows 7 has that GUI but it's much faster and doesn't require as many resource to run.

More like it isn't HORRIBLE like Vista. Or at least it wasn't when I beta'd it. It actually made me like Windows again. But it all depends on what changes they made to the final Windows 7. If Windows 7 is great, then the operating system right after it in the Microsoft line will be horrible like Vista... Vista was bad...

Well, I have to kind of give some credit to Vista. It did make me discover Linux. I don't mind a closed source operating system as long as it isn't horrible like Vista. Did I say Vista was horrible? As for the GUI, Vista was hit and miss with me but Windows 7 was just perfect.

I'm actually pretty sure Windows 7 will be just as good as it was when I used it and Vista will be just another bad nightmare like ME. At least ME was somewhat kawaii.

This post has been edited by WolfCoder: 22 July 2009 - 08:01 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 23 July 2009 - 02:06 AM

Does anyone know if the RTM will be available to MSDN-AA members?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• .. does not guess solutions
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 July 2009 - 02:53 AM

August 6th here we come <3

@WolfCoder Microsoft openly admitted at their partner conference that Vista "sucked", basically.

Although I've always had a different view, used it since Longhorn 4074 (when it was still pretty much XP with a (crappy) sidebar!) and watched it progress... Was all go until Beta 2 when it started using a heap of resources. But I've always had a good machine so that wasn't an issue, Vista FTW :D
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• using System.Linq;
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 July 2009 - 03:01 AM

Does anyone know if the RTM will be available to MSDN-AA members?

Since the Release Candidate, as well as the Beta versions of Windows 7 were available through MSDNAA, I would expect the RTM to be available there too, however, a bit later.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 23 July 2009 - 08:44 AM

I can't believe how quick they got Windows 7 off the ground - I guess the fact that even the general public were really vocal about Vista's problems, coupled with the growing popularity of Linux has scared them a bit - they did start practicality throwing cheap copies of XP at OEM's after all.

I can't wait to give the final version a try - I've got fully DirectX 10 compliant hardware in my desktop machine, but I'm still running XP Pro at the moment. Will be nice to see what it is actually capable of :)

Microsoft seems to be on a bit of a role where generating a buzz about new products is concerned, I just feel it's a bit of a shame that the people behind the various Linux distro's didn't really manage to capitalise on the opportunity that Vista presented, because we're not likely to see another one in the near future.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 23 July 2009 - 05:32 PM

View Postnumeric, on 23 Jul, 2009 - 07:44 AM, said:

I can't believe how quick they got Windows 7 off the ground - I guess the fact that even the general public were really vocal about Vista's problems, coupled with the growing popularity of Linux has scared them a bit - they did start practicality throwing cheap copies of XP at OEM's after all.

Lets clarify, Microsoft is not afraid of Linux. Maybe the idea of Linux, but not Linux itself.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 July 2009 - 06:36 PM

Goodbye Vista, Helloooo Windows 7.

Cant wait, vista's just yuck.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 July 2009 - 09:39 AM

I can't wait until windows 7 comes out.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• LIKE A BOSS
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 July 2009 - 10:31 AM

Been in the beta since it started - I love it. I didn't mind Vista, but the hardware requirements screwed a lot of people over. They'd throw Vista on a Celeron with 512. If you're the kind of person who buys a Celeron (probably not a huge computer person), you're going to be the most confused when it sucks. 7 runs on netbooks very well, so it's a nice change of post. I'll probably dual-boot it with Mint once it's officially released.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Isn't a volcano just an angry hill?
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 July 2009 - 11:16 PM

View Postfremgenc, on 23 Jul, 2009 - 05:32 PM, said:

View Postnumeric, on 23 Jul, 2009 - 07:44 AM, said:

Lets clarify, Microsoft is not afraid of Linux. Maybe the idea of Linux, but not Linux itself.

Actually they're kind of afraid. I hope they're going to try and compete with Macs ease of use and stability and Linux's speed. That was my guess because Windows 7 started faster than XP on my machine, and shuts down almost instantly just like Ubuntu 9. Vista really hurt them bad, even normal people who don't use computers that often usually tell me horrible things about Vista.

Granted it might be due to the crappy company that loaded all their crap on it (HP I'm glaring at you) but when people do that it hurts Vista's already horrible performance giving it a bad name. However I'm sure Microsoft is going to take back ground with Windows 7.

But...

You know, for some reason I feel plenty of doubt. For some reason the thought of buying and using Windows 7 makes me sick a little even though it seemed a pretty well performing operating system with a good GUI. It's as though the battle between Linux and Windows is being waged inside me. However, I like Windows, but hate hate hate Microsoft. For some reason it just feels like two different things even though it's Microsoft's key product.

Perhaps I'll feel better if I develop open-source software more diligently if I move to Windows 7. Kind of even out me using a closed operating system.

This post has been edited by WolfCoder: 26 July 2009 - 11:16 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Recovering D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 July 2009 - 11:25 PM

If only I had waited a few more months before I bought this computer.
Didn't they like give away Vista to people who had bought computers with XP installed months prior to it's release?

I am a bit sicker after reading that article. Corporations and capital strife collective human advancements and the improvement of the global human condition, period.

This post has been edited by LoveIsNull: 26 July 2009 - 11:35 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 27 July 2009 - 04:04 PM

Well, I've been thinking for a while now that Microsoft should just make a gaming OS. This obviously wouldn't be it, but I guess if you stripped windows 7, you could get something decent. The resource requirements of XP with the powerful DX10 and 64bit capabilities...that's what I want. Definitely going to test W7 and benchmark it soon, will post results! :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +