language use reasons

y?

  • (2 Pages)
  • +
  • 1
  • 2

15 Replies - 1680 Views - Last Post: 18 June 2011 - 07:34 PM

#1 Jaakuuta  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Head
  • member icon

Reputation: 1
  • View blog
  • Posts: 163
  • Joined: 02-July 09

language use reasons

Posted 22 July 2009 - 03:04 PM

I was wondering what do you use your languages for?
How are they normally used?
If you use any as a hobby, please elaborate.

Since I've not yet completed my CS degree, I am not using programming in my career. Therefore, all of my languages are hobby languages at this point.

However, I do use them for particular tasks.
C: fun with raw programming... I like the OOP in C tutorial, that kind of stuff is neat in a language that's not meant for it :pirate:
C++: I've made some cool little text-based games in C++ as I'm not used to using graphics engines yet. I've done little RPGs, a blackjack game, and even made a semi-graphical picross game. Oddly enough, I've simulated a graphing calculator using ascii art before too... :blink:
C#: I've made maybe one or two programs in it before... seems like microsoft's cheap ripoff of Java... :rolleyes:
Java: The language I'm learning in school. Starting to learn to work with widgets and file io. Already learned how to handle exceptions and the like.
Scheme/Common LISP: LISP dialects that are fun to play around with and make neat recursive formulas. I generally do similar stuff in these that I do in Python.
Python: I like to use this language to do research for my mathematical studies... I have projects that I'm working on and the semi-functional nature of Python with list comprehensions and everything makes this task a breeze.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: language use reasons

#2 NeoTifa  Icon User is offline

  • Whorediot
  • member icon





Reputation: 2700
  • View blog
  • Posts: 15,742
  • Joined: 24-September 08

Re: language use reasons

Posted 22 July 2009 - 07:17 PM

I mainly only use Java, so... everything. Lol.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#3 Raynes  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

Reputation: 611
  • View blog
  • Posts: 2,815
  • Joined: 05-January 09

Re: language use reasons

Posted 24 July 2009 - 10:59 AM

I'm one of the people who see more potential in Lisp than just "playing around with it". I use Clojure for pretty much everything. I've always loved Lisp, and Clojure allows me to use Lisp and actually have the resources available to make useful things without writing everything myself.

My "playing around with" language is Factor. It has potential to be pretty nice in the future. The only thing I can see it's missing right now is a decent GUI library. It does /have/ a GUI library available, but it's basically worthless. Someone is writing QT bindings, and GTK is not far around the corner. Once bindings to a decent GUI library are out, I'll use Factor a lot more for real things.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 Jaakuuta  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Head
  • member icon

Reputation: 1
  • View blog
  • Posts: 163
  • Joined: 02-July 09

Re: language use reasons

Posted 24 July 2009 - 02:08 PM

I have been trying to learn more about Clojure lately, from what I've seen of it, it looks like a neat language... I don't know enough about LISP yet to officially make it one of my "used for everything" languages, but I'm working on it...
I'm not too familiar with Factor though... I'll have to read up on it again later...
Lately, I've been trying to study Forth and Joy... I really like Joy at this point and I hope that it, or something like it, would be more popular because I think it's a really neat language...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#5 Crimson Wings  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Head
  • member icon

Reputation: 13
  • View blog
  • Posts: 215
  • Joined: 11-July 09

Re: language use reasons

Posted 24 July 2009 - 02:10 PM

PHP: For interactive websites. I use it because it is free and more widely used than ASP.net or others.
C++: Learning it. Its just too powerful x_X.
C#: Quick programs. Same with Visual Basic.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#6 Raynes  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

Reputation: 611
  • View blog
  • Posts: 2,815
  • Joined: 05-January 09

Re: language use reasons

Posted 24 July 2009 - 02:51 PM

View PostJaakuuta, on 24 Jul, 2009 - 01:08 PM, said:

I have been trying to learn more about Clojure lately, from what I've seen of it, it looks like a neat language... I don't know enough about LISP yet to officially make it one of my "used for everything" languages, but I'm working on it...
I'm not too familiar with Factor though... I'll have to read up on it again later...
Lately, I've been trying to study Forth and Joy... I really like Joy at this point and I hope that it, or something like it, would be more popular because I think it's a really neat language...


Factor borrows heavily from Joy and Forth. If you like Forth and Joy, you're going to flip shit over Factor. Factor is an amazing language, and I really hope it gains popularity in coming years. Moar libraries!!!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#7 sscheider  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Head

Reputation: 9
  • View blog
  • Posts: 55
  • Joined: 14-May 09

Re: language use reasons

Posted 24 July 2009 - 03:32 PM

I've programmed in many languages over the years. It really comes down to support. I learned Algol the year before it was displaced by Pascal at CMU in 1976-78. Then, I learned Pascal. Quite often, the end user will want some capability that is most easily exposed by one language moreso than another. With MS, the gaps have closed considerably, though I personally wouldn't want to program the win32 SDK through visual basic .NET. Is it do-able? Yes.
My profound belief is that the C lexicon and grammer will generally dominate for the forseeable future. I also believe that some of the "best practices" from software engineering will find their way back into this language. I'm not limiting that thought to object libraries, which MS floods the market with, but also base capability. For instance, during the software development lifecycle, most of the manpower is spent in repairs after testing and support corrections. I really think that testing needs to be an inherent part of the language, we just haven't defined that part as yet. Librarians for code re-use are another target. Using XML tags is a kludge, but at least it's something.
my $0.02
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#8 Jaakuuta  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Head
  • member icon

Reputation: 1
  • View blog
  • Posts: 163
  • Joined: 02-July 09

Re: language use reasons

Posted 24 July 2009 - 10:30 PM

View PostRaynes, on 24 Jul, 2009 - 01:51 PM, said:

View PostJaakuuta, on 24 Jul, 2009 - 01:08 PM, said:

I have been trying to learn more about Clojure lately, from what I've seen of it, it looks like a neat language... I don't know enough about LISP yet to officially make it one of my "used for everything" languages, but I'm working on it...
I'm not too familiar with Factor though... I'll have to read up on it again later...
Lately, I've been trying to study Forth and Joy... I really like Joy at this point and I hope that it, or something like it, would be more popular because I think it's a really neat language...


Factor borrows heavily from Joy and Forth. If you like Forth and Joy, you're going to flip shit over Factor. Factor is an amazing language, and I really hope it gains popularity in coming years. Moar libraries!!!


I've been trying to find some information about Factor, but it's scanty at best... I was trying to look up one of the sites listed and the link for it doesn't even work... I'll keep trying, I think I like this language Cat too... You should make a tutorial for Clojure or something, that would be neat...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#9 Raynes  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

Reputation: 611
  • View blog
  • Posts: 2,815
  • Joined: 05-January 09

Re: language use reasons

Posted 25 July 2009 - 01:26 PM

View PostJaakuuta, on 24 Jul, 2009 - 09:30 PM, said:

View PostRaynes, on 24 Jul, 2009 - 01:51 PM, said:

View PostJaakuuta, on 24 Jul, 2009 - 01:08 PM, said:

I have been trying to learn more about Clojure lately, from what I've seen of it, it looks like a neat language... I don't know enough about LISP yet to officially make it one of my "used for everything" languages, but I'm working on it...
I'm not too familiar with Factor though... I'll have to read up on it again later...
Lately, I've been trying to study Forth and Joy... I really like Joy at this point and I hope that it, or something like it, would be more popular because I think it's a really neat language...


Factor borrows heavily from Joy and Forth. If you like Forth and Joy, you're going to flip shit over Factor. Factor is an amazing language, and I really hope it gains popularity in coming years. Moar libraries!!!


I've been trying to find some information about Factor, but it's scanty at best... I was trying to look up one of the sites listed and the link for it doesn't even work... I'll keep trying, I think I like this language Cat too... You should make a tutorial for Clojure or something, that would be neat...


That's the other problem with Factor. As of right now, there are /no/ step by step, comprehensive tutorials available. No books, no nothing. However, the language is heavily documented. Almost every feature, function, and library is documented at docs.factorcode.org. To get started learning the language, you are encouraged to read through the "Write your first program." and then "The Factor cookbook.". The language is extremely simple (reminiscent of Lisp), and not very hard to learn. Slava says that a book wont be written about Factor until 1.0 is released because Factor is too much of a moving target right now.

And actually, I've been putting together ideas for a Clojure tutorial for a while. Look for one from me in the future.

Also, for Clojure, if you're looking to read up about it, I recommend the book Programming Clojure from pragprog. It's a very good book, totally worth the money. There is also a comprehensive Clojure intro/tutorial located here http://jnb.ociweb.co...jnbMar2009.html

It's also relevant to mention that the name Clojure was choosen, in part, because of all the available googlespace. If you search for something related to Clojure, you'll find stuff related to Clojure. This is a big plus when looking for stuff about it.

Have fun!
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#10 mikelash  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Head

Reputation: 0
  • View blog
  • Posts: 94
  • Joined: 17-June 11

Re: language use reasons

Posted 18 June 2011 - 11:33 AM

i started using Qbasic and i still acasinaly do when ever i need some easy programming to be done
i have been really getting into php latly for my supernetwork site www.saintmonopoly.com
and i use visual basic for my more complex programs
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#11 creativecoding  Icon User is offline

  • Hash != Encryption
  • member icon


Reputation: 926
  • View blog
  • Posts: 3,205
  • Joined: 19-January 10

Re: language use reasons

Posted 18 June 2011 - 12:39 PM

PHP: Just about everything online. Hell, I'd rather make some desktop apps into online apps if it means I can use PHP.

Java: Used for Android. Sort of fun, but I'm still getting the hang of it.

C#: Used when I make desktop apps. I never make good high-quality stuff but I have made a few nifty tools just for myself. So, mainly just for making tools not created already.

"The best part of being a programmer is if you need a program that does not exists, you have the ability to create it."
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#12 ishkabible  Icon User is offline

  • spelling expret
  • member icon




Reputation: 1622
  • View blog
  • Posts: 5,709
  • Joined: 03-August 09

Re: language use reasons

Posted 18 June 2011 - 12:41 PM

i use a combination of Lua and C++ mostly. basically where it is unruly to use a large compile language like C++ i use Lua. where i want to make something large, fast and beefy i use C++. i have been known to use python where it was better suited however.

for fun i use almost anything. i am learning Haskell and Common Lisp right now. i like to dabble in x86 sometimes as well. i have programed in a bunch of different languages but C++ and Lua are my main languages. i know Lua in more depth than most(i am familiar with some implementation details) and C++ was my first language.

edit:

Quote

"The best part of being a programmer is if you need a program that does not exists, you have the ability to create it."

ya i made a file chooser in Lua and Python so i didn't have to pick which movie to watch. instead it just picks one at random for me :)

This post has been edited by ishkabible: 18 June 2011 - 12:45 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#13 DivideByZero  Icon User is offline

  • D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

Reputation: 238
  • View blog
  • Posts: 551
  • Joined: 02-December 10

Re: language use reasons

Posted 18 June 2011 - 02:09 PM

C# - My work place uses this language.

C++ - My course uses this language.

Java - What I'm teaching myself in my spare time so that I have another language to fall back on.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#14 SixOfEleven  Icon User is offline

  • using Caffeine;
  • member icon

Reputation: 945
  • View blog
  • Posts: 6,342
  • Joined: 18-October 08

Re: language use reasons

Posted 18 June 2011 - 02:24 PM

C# is my poison of choice and has been for several years now. I've been known to use VB.NET when it comes to working with databases. Not sure why that is though, just tends to be my preference when doing anything with SQL. In the past my goto language was just plain C. I've been meaning to get more into Java but with everything on my plate I just haven't.

Why is C# my language of choice? The style of my first favorite language, C, and all of the wonderful abstractions using a higher level language. Second reason, XNA of course. I probably would work more with C++ if XNA wasn't around as primarily I'm a game programmer.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

#15 ishkabible  Icon User is offline

  • spelling expret
  • member icon




Reputation: 1622
  • View blog
  • Posts: 5,709
  • Joined: 03-August 09

Re: language use reasons

Posted 18 June 2011 - 06:27 PM

i use Lua for game dev :) i haven't done much with 3D stuff however :/
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

  • (2 Pages)
  • +
  • 1
  • 2