VB.NET

What's the difference between VB.NET & VS.NET

Page 1 of 1

4 Replies - 1834 Views - Last Post: 22 July 2009 - 06:44 PM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

VB.NET

Post icon  Posted 22 July 2009 - 04:57 PM

What is the difference between Visusal Basic.Net and Visual Studio.NET.?
I am using this as a means to practice doing C++ Programing and hope to eventually move on to doing some .NET work & VB programing. Can it just be used as a C++ Compiler a dose Visual Basic uses the C++ standard library? I'm confused. Why is Microsoft so Confusing?
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: VB.NET

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: VB.NET

Posted 22 July 2009 - 05:19 PM

VB.NET (or Visual Basic.NET) is part of Visual Studio.NET package.

http://en.wikipedia....t_Visual_Studio.

This post has been edited by PDUNZ: 22 July 2009 - 05:21 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 22 July 2009 - 05:30 PM

vs - visual studio - which contains visual basic, c++, c# and more

vb - visual basic - could be part of vs, and could not be...

vs.net and vb.net - .NET Framework (Not sure about this one)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 July 2009 - 06:24 PM

Visual Studio takes VB, C# and C++ and targets them to the CLR (Common Language Runtime) - the same support libraries. It also uses CIL (Common Intermediate Language) as the universal assembler behind all these languages. CIL is very close to Java bytecodes as stored in Java .class files. (The inventor is formerly from Sun) The CIL is compiled at runtime to target the native processor and OS, so like Java, it is somewhat of a memory hog. Unlike Java, CIL is not designed to be interpreted, only compiled. It also has some extensions that support the "Unsafe" things you can do with C++ (and other languages that have compilers targetting CIL). The compiler, a JIT (Just In Time compiler) can do better than an offline compiler/linker suite as found in older IDEs. The reason is that it can adapt to the actual execution of the code. e.g. The runtime detects that a certain subroutine/function in a Class is executing frequently (as determined by sampling the Program Counter). It will instrument the class to gather execution statistics and paths and use this to re-compile the class to improve the execution for the next next call. The big problem (I know it is being worked on) is that this optimization information is lost between runs of the application.

Oh, by the way, the CIL is a stack based representation of the code (shades of Forth) with the concept of two collections of registers for subroutine parameters and subroutine local variables. You can read up on it for more details, but it is not likely to be more than intellectual curiousity for most people.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Recovering D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 July 2009 - 06:44 PM

Visual Studio is the integrated development environment for all of the languages that the .Net Framework targets like VB.Net, C#, C++\CLI and a dozen other useless languages MS invented that all do the same thing. (Exaggeration but there are quite a few of them). Another common denominator between them all is that they are all managed languages. Memory management is handled by the CLR.
In Visual Studio you can also develop with the Compact .Net Framework, for mobile applications. You can also still develop with un-managed C++ using MFC and all that good stuff.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1