Linux makes you a better coder?

• (2 Pages)
  • +

16 Replies - 1540 Views - Last Post: 24 July 2009 - 02:27 PM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Linux makes you a better coder?

Posted 23 July 2009 - 06:42 PM

I heard from a friend that uses Linux that using it will make you a better coder... something to do with using commands a lot or something. I'm not a big Linux user, but I'm interested because my eee pc could use a different operating system. Any thoughts?
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Linux makes you a better coder?

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Linux makes you a better coder?

Posted 23 July 2009 - 06:45 PM

This idea is entirely dependent on the attitude of the coder.

How would coding for Linux make a Windows Dot Net developer any better? It's just silly.

Now if the coder is going to take into consideration what OS someone develops for as any sort of detail to a level of ability, then to them maybe coding for Linux somehow makes them better, but I wouldn't agree. A coder is only as good as the code they produce, regardless of what platform or OS that it's for.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• g++ jameson.cpp -o beverage
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 July 2009 - 06:46 PM

:lol:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Black Hatter

• View blog

Posted 23 July 2009 - 07:10 PM

:)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 23 July 2009 - 07:30 PM

Woah, woah! Alright close thread, save nugget's face.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Isn't a volcano just an angry hill?
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 July 2009 - 09:20 PM

Linux can make you a worse programmer for a sensible user-friendly program if you're not careful and should realize that end-users' first thought at the mention of the word "terminal" is that huge annoying place with tons of crowds and people that probe you with little wands and the walls are covered with half-broken LED signs. And there's that even smellier version of a fast food chain you've heard about.

First things that go through my mind when coming up with some new code is:

- What am I doing and why am I doing it? (a given)
- How is it going to look to other people?

Whether I write paragraph inserts of comments, pages of documentation and guides, or designing a GUI or control scheme that makes sense, I also make sure that other people can at least attempt to understand the insanity I write >.<

This post has been edited by WolfCoder: 23 July 2009 - 09:24 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Algorithmi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 July 2009 - 10:30 PM

nah, i dont think using any operating system would make you a better programmer..it all depends on how hard you work. even though linux may be useful to you and help you on the way if you want to make some customizations to some of the programes since they are all open source or if you want to do some linux kernel programming, maybe that could add to your programming arsenal.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• A$$hole Extraordinaire.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 July 2009 - 01:32 AM

To login, you have to write a new Boolean search function, and it can't match any of the previous 10 you've used.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 July 2009 - 03:55 AM

No, not really.

You could make a case that it will make you more proficient at the command line and shell scripting, but that doesn't really count as coder. Also, Microsoft's PowerShell is essentially bash.NET; so CLI types can now get their fix in Windows.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 July 2009 - 10:51 AM

It might make you a more productive coder, if you learn to use Linux efficiently. It wont make you a better coder however.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• LIKE A BOSS
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 July 2009 - 10:57 AM

No, but it does make you a better person.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• g++ jameson.cpp -o beverage
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 July 2009 - 11:13 AM

Damn, this got moved to the cube. Now I look like a troller. :angry:

On topic comment:

No, the OS only provides an environment. I can do things easier in a GUI environment as opposed to a CLI one (broad generalization). I like to work with what is easier/more familiar to me if it a personal project/choice. Other wise i work in whatever I'm told to.

This post has been edited by KYA: 24 July 2009 - 11:13 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• .. does not guess solutions
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 July 2009 - 11:20 AM

It actually depends, dealing with gcc/gplusplus will probably piss you off so much that you'll start writing code "better", although it's really just to g++'s implementation.

When I was forced *shudder* to work with Linux I reimplemented some of the Visual C++ Runtime functions because they are awesome and I do not like change. Also, ELF is a pain in the arse, having to work with it/reverse the format made me want to get a better understanding for linux and the way it works - But in the end, it just boiled down to it pissing me off again. I never used linux again after writing that one piece of software (serious).

God damn word filter stopped me posting argggggggh!!!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• sudo apt-get install brain
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 July 2009 - 01:27 PM

View PostMageUK, on 24 Jul, 2009 - 10:20 AM, said:

It actually depends, dealing with gcc/gplusplus will probably piss you off so much that you'll start writing code "better", although it's really just to g++'s implementation.

When I was forced *shudder* to work with Linux I reimplemented some of the Visual C++ Runtime functions because they are awesome and I do not like change. Also, ELF is a pain in the arse, having to work with it/reverse the format made me want to get a better understanding for linux and the way it works - But in the end, it just boiled down to it pissing me off again. I never used linux again after writing that one piece of software (serious).

God damn word filter stopped me posting argggggggh!!!

That's a little stupid. Why would you have expected that your Linux desktop would act like your Windows? Never expect things to be easy on Linux but that isn't necessarily a bad thing. Linux has a pretty big learning curve all together especially if your a programmer. You'll have to learn how to correct problems, configure things and most importantly, have the patience. But really man, did you expect everything to be fine and dandy straight off? Linux is hard, but Linux is powerful, fast and supports some of the most powerful features around. If you don't wanna put in the necessary effort, that's fine but don't label something you haven't experienced fully as a pile of shit.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• .. does not guess solutions
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 July 2009 - 01:46 PM

View Postabgorn, on 24 Jul, 2009 - 12:27 PM, said:

That's a little stupid. Why would you have expected that your Linux desktop would act like your Windows? Never expect things to be easy on Linux but that isn't necessarily a bad thing. Linux has a pretty big learning curve all together especially if your a programmer. You'll have to learn how to correct problems, configure things and most importantly, have the patience. But really man, did you expect everything to be fine and dandy straight off? Linux is hard, but Linux is powerful, fast and supports some of the most powerful features around. If you don't wanna put in the necessary effort, that's fine but don't label something you haven't experienced fully as a pile of shit.

Linux desktop acting like Windows desktop?? Did I mention anything to do with that??

If I didn't have the patience nor be willing to give it the necessary effort, I wouldn't have created this after several hours of research into the ELF format.

All I said is that it's going to piss you off, and that it may make you a better programmer due to it's serious lack of useful APIs, which is completely true. I've not seen any area of linux that is faster nor more powerful than Windows.

I have, sadly, "experienced" linux fully, and furthermore, I never called it a "pile of shit".

This post has been edited by MageUK: 24 July 2009 - 01:49 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +