To get the latest assembly version dynamically

Page 1 of 1

3 Replies - 1067 Views - Last Post: 25 July 2009 - 12:29 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

assembly version

Posted 24 July 2009 - 01:24 AM

hi,

I would like to get latest version of the assembly. how?
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: assembly version

• Admiral Fancy Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: assembly version

Posted 24 July 2009 - 01:26 AM

** Moved to Assembly **

Can you be a little more clear on what you are looking for?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 25 July 2009 - 01:12 AM

Assembly doesn't really have a "version" I don't think. Like pencil said, be a bit more specific.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 25 July 2009 - 12:29 PM

View Postgeethaganesh, on 24 Jul, 2009 - 12:24 AM, said:

hi,

I would like to get latest version of the assembly. how?

Assembly is not a program like VS, Dev, or Eclipse. It's a programming language, just a lower-level programming language, where lower refers to how similar it is to the .obj file generated. So, there isn't a latest version of assembly. As a matter of fact, Asm differs from one memory brand to another, as it is, excluding directives, almost a "literal translation" of the binary files the computer can read.

If you want an assembly (x86 Intel chips, which are the most common) program, try one of these 2:
-MASM, as usual, Microsoft has the best products for some reason. In addition to normal assembly, it contains a lot of macros to help with some common tasks. Although it USED TO be commercial, a GUI version which is graphically well-designed is distributed in some package. I can't remember the like masm32.com, or something of that sor... Why did they invent Google?
-NASM - The Network ASseMbler is an open source assembler. So, if your budget is limited, this is your best choice. And if it is not, it's still worth it. This is the one I use although I have the MASM32 package.*

Those are assemblers, not IDE's. You create the code file in Notepad, Ultraedit, or any other plain-text editor, and they just convert it into a .obj file. If you want an IDE (which still isn't graphical like Microsoft's VS or Borland's DS), try Nasm-IDE, which, as its name implies, works best with NASM. I found a GUI version on SourceForge, but it's in Portuguese! The DOS version seems to be better equibed, and that's the one I use when I create assembly files.

Check out Jeff Duntemann's site.

* No one follows the standards set by Intel, so... what you build and link in one of them without encountering any problems, could display 1001 error messages in the other one.

Since this was posted on the VB.Net form:
If you mean the Assembly NAME of the program in VB.Net, that's how you get it
WhereToPutIt = My.Application.Info.AssemblyName

If you mean the latest assembled version of the program (The one you would display on a splash screen):
WhereToPutIt = My.Application.Info.Version.toString

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1