at the same time

• (2 Pages)
  • +

17 Replies - 2451 Views - Last Post: 10 February 2010 - 09:47 PM

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Re: Learning different languages

Posted 08 January 2010 - 10:43 PM

It's been my experience learning spoken languages that if you study two completely disparate languages, you'll still make the mistake of switching a word in one language for a word in the other language, but you will notice that you have done it faster and be able to correct it faster. This is fundamentally why you should only study one language at a time, as a given rule- so that your familiarity with the languages you already speak prevents you from accidentally using those words or sounds.

I'd imagine this would be a pretty straightforward conversion to programming.

Thinking more about this, I should clarify.

if you speak english and then decide to study both german and swedish at the same time, you'll run into problems because those languages are very similar, and you'd make mistakes without realizing it. if, however, you were to study german and japanese at the same time, the languages are different enough that you would be able to recognize if you accidentally substituted a word in one language for a word in the other while talking.

This post has been edited by Choscura: 08 January 2010 - 10:46 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Hater & Lover

• View blog

Posted 09 January 2010 - 09:39 AM

it is different when programming.

much different.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 10 February 2010 - 09:47 PM

Nope. I stay stick to one language and once you mastered it even if its a low programming language like C you now know the syntax of programming and can move on to learn more languages much quicker.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +