8 Replies - 769 Views - Last Post: 14 August 2009 - 02:52 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Getting a job in Information Technology

Post icon  Posted 28 July 2009 - 01:52 AM

I'm about to graduate college with a bachelor's degree in Information Technology. And I know most companies want the most experienced person in Information Technology. What programs will I need to get in order for me to practice my skills so I can get an IT job?

By the way, these are the skills I've learned:

Java Programming
C and C++ programming
Unix
SQL Database
MS Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Access, Outlook, and Visio

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Getting a job in Information Technology

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Getting a job in Information Technology

Posted 28 July 2009 - 05:59 AM

You'll need experience.

What I would have done is look for internship during my later years or try to get a part time job related to my studies.

Try to join an open source project and add functionality to give you a feel with working with other peoples code (and not starting from scratch, as such is the case in school).

Most of the time you aren't going to be writing fresh code.... but I am not speaking from experience as I have yet to finish college.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• go sabres

• View blog

Posted 28 July 2009 - 08:39 AM

get an internship. Your college will most likely have a student center for helping you finds jobs or internships to apply to.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 13 August 2009 - 12:22 PM

I have yet to graduate, but like the others said internship is like tripping a domino. It's opened me up a lot, and more jobs become available to you.

But be prepared for frustration. Happened to me, it sucks!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 14 August 2009 - 01:23 PM

The biggest disadvantage to you as a graduate is that you most likely don't have 'real world experience'. What I mean by that is you wont know much about version/source control, coordinating code amongst a team (with varying levels of expertise), interacting with business/pr people and other such real problems you don't have in the class room with other students.

The industry is a backwards place ruled by business decisions and it's not too rare to find the most frustrating of things that just don't seem to make sense as a developer. You'll also probably find it extremely hard getting used to a system that is already up and running and not having the start to end/maintenance experience that you've had at college.

Perhaps the biggest piece of advise I can give you is to just give it a go, things are hard at start and the wage may not be good but you need to divine what you can and get the experience and practical skills that will help you get another - better paid - job in future. This is of course null/void if you have an internship program available to you at college, they're generally better quality than graduate (and no prior experience) jobs as they're screened by your college.

Remember, the technical skills are easily learned (languages, platforms etc), its the theory, design skills and experience that's truly invaluable as they tend to be much longer lasting.

Hope that helps some. In the end you have to just suck up the bad jobs and put a spin on what you learn for your next jobs application,

~ Craig

This post has been edited by Mangotastic: 14 August 2009 - 01:32 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 14 August 2009 - 02:09 PM

View PostMangotastic, on 14 Aug, 2009 - 12:23 PM, said:

The biggest disadvantage to you as a graduate is that you most likely don't have 'real world experience'. What I mean by that is you wont know much about version/source control, coordinating code amongst a team (with varying levels of expertise), interacting with business/pr people and other such real problems you don't have in the class room with other students.

The industry is a backwards place ruled by business decisions and it's not too rare to find the most frustrating of things that just don't seem to make sense as a developer. You'll also probably find it extremely hard getting used to a system that is already up and running and not having the start to end/maintenance experience that you've had at college.

Perhaps the biggest piece of advise I can give you is to just give it a go, things are hard at start and the wage may not be good but you need to divine what you can and get the experience and practical skills that will help you get another - better paid - job in future. This is of course null/void if you have an internship program available to you at college, they're generally better quality than graduate (and no prior experience) jobs as they're screened by your college.

Remember, the technical skills are easily learned (languages, platforms etc), its the theory, design skills and experience that's truly invaluable as they tend to be much longer lasting.

Hope that helps some. In the end you have to just suck up the bad jobs and put a spin on what you learn for your next jobs application,

~ Craig

I have general, entry level knowledge in languages and platforms. But some of these companies are asking for 7+ years experience and I started school in 2004. Now I don't mind taking the temp or part time IT jobs, but will future employers take it into consideration?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 14 August 2009 - 02:21 PM

View PostPhillyDiva1982, on 14 Aug, 2009 - 08:09 PM, said:

I have general, entry level knowledge in languages and platforms. But some of these companies are asking for 7+ years experience and I started school in 2004. Now I don't mind taking the temp or part time IT jobs, but will future employers take it into consideration?

I get a ride to my current job with a team leader at my company and he has a big roll in hiring new developers. In his words it's a case of "not the job you're in but the things you can gain and learn from the job." If you can get jobs where you're able to learn the skills other - better - jobs are looking for, then they will definitely take that in to consideration. The experience and the skills gained from even a temp job or community project will help put you ahead just that little bit more. Going above and beyond by working on projects in your own time also helps impress potential employers when your just leaving college.

Just make sure that you're challenging yourself with things new to you, think of yourself as a product for sale, the more features you have, the better an offer you present.

~ Craig

This post has been edited by Mangotastic: 14 August 2009 - 02:24 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 14 August 2009 - 02:34 PM

View PostMangotastic, on 14 Aug, 2009 - 01:21 PM, said:

View PostPhillyDiva1982, on 14 Aug, 2009 - 08:09 PM, said:

I get a ride to my current job with a team leader at my company and he has a big roll in hiring new developers. In his words it's a case of "not the job you're in but the things you can gain and learn from the job." If you can get jobs where you're able to learn the skills other - better - jobs are looking for, then they will definitely take that in to consideration. The experience and the skills gained from even a temp job or community project will help put you ahead just that little bit more. Going above and beyond by working on projects in your own time also helps impress potential employers when your just leaving college.

Just make sure that you're challenging yourself with things new to you, think of yourself as a product for sale, the more features you have, the better an offer you present.

~ Craig

Alright, I'll try that.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 14 August 2009 - 02:52 PM

Good luck! Aim as high as you can and get the best job you can with your current skills, we all have to start somewhere :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1