5 Replies - 2510 Views - Last Post: 04 August 2009 - 11:32 AM

• using System.Linq;
  • member icon

• View blog

What mobile development framework are you using?

Post icon  Posted 30 July 2009 - 02:03 AM

I know that we have some developers on Dream.In.Code who create various applications for mobile platforms. Currently, there are many mobile development frameworks, SDKs and several programming languages (like C#, Java and Objective-C). So, if you are a mobile applications developer, what framework/SDK/language are you using and why?

Just to give an advice for the beginner users who want to start mobile application development, share your experiences with that specific progrmming element - what are the pros and cons, what problems you encountered whil learning and applying the toolset.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: What mobile development framework are you using?

• Coding is a lifestyle
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: What mobile development framework are you using?

Posted 30 July 2009 - 09:32 PM

using Objective-C with the Iphone OS, and just starting on Android platform as well using java. Bother are relatively good. I like the ability to use Xcode with Objective-C. Also if you've developed for Mac OS X before then the API is really easy to understand.

cons: I found Interface builder a bit hard to learn off the bat but once I got the hang of it, it's not too bad after all.

Android cons: Nothing bad to say about it thus far :D

Hope this helps

Cheers
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Google.Sucks.Init(true);
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 July 2009 - 10:22 PM

While I wouldn't call myself a "mobile developer", I have been messing around with the Microsoft Micro Framework, designed for developing applications for smart devices. They could use some help with the documentation a little, but all in all pretty easy to maneuver
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• using System.Linq;
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 July 2009 - 07:16 AM

Well that's some neat stuff. I used .NET Compact Framework to develop solutions for portable .NET-compatible devices. One major benefit is that I can use VB.NET or C# for these apps and if you are quite familiar with .NET then you will not get into too much trouble figuring out how it works. Same, I started right off the bat and learned it by myself (with the help of MSDN). As of cons, can't really say anything.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• printf("I'm a %XR",195936478);
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 July 2009 - 11:38 PM

I use the J2ME SDK simply because almost every mobile phone supports it.
There are many limitations and constraints in J2ME but there are many workarounds so it's still possible to get the job done.
Many classes aren't available in J2ME and it's a pain to rewrite your own versions when you need them so it's pretty useful to use third-party libraries to cut down on the development time.

The use the Nokia UI Library from time to time and I'm currently creating a more thorough version of the Date and Calendar classes for J2ME.

Pros:
  • Easy to Learn as you write your code in Java.
  • The application will run on almost every phone.
Cons:
  • Phones may have different JSR packages, so J2ME's feature-set is actually phone dependent.
  • You usually reinvent the wheel and might have to write your own code to do simple things.

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 August 2009 - 11:32 AM

I wrote a number of programs for Symbols and Intermec handheld barcode scanning devices (computers really). These scanners are normally used for inventory control. The most recent ones ran Mobile 5.0 operating systems, and I used Microsoft VC++ 5.0 as the programming environment with MFC. Also used eVC++ 3.0 and eVC++ 4.0 on the older platforms.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1