• (3 Pages)
  • +

36 Replies - 3949 Views - Last Post: 16 September 2009 - 04:47 PM

• 4+1=Moo
  • member icon

• View blog

Kids and Programming pt2: Jobs

Posted 31 July 2009 - 09:20 AM

Ok, lets say, hypothetically speaking, you owned a Huge Software Company. And lets say, a kid (for example, me) asked to join your company as a lead developer of your Company's Biggest/Expensive project. You and your company has invested a lot into this project. Now, lets say, the kids statistics were these (These are mine as of now).
Programming Languages: .NET(C#,VB.NET, ASP.NET), C++(QT toolkit), and a bit of other things.
Years: 3-4 Years or so.
Thinking Ability: Able to solve programming problems.
Now, that sounds a little to simple, but don't really use me as a example, just, think, would you hire a kid as a lead programmer (he/she is very talented at programming).
Would you need he/she to take some kind of test or so? Let me know what all of you think :P
DONT LET ME STATS EFFECT YOUR RESPONSE, I KNOW THERE NOT GOOD! :D

This post has been edited by Amrykid: 01 August 2009 - 08:09 AM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Kids and Programming pt2: Jobs

• Google.Sucks.Init(true);
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Kids and Programming pt2: Jobs

Posted 31 July 2009 - 09:23 AM

I'm moving this to Corner Cubical as the Lounge is for opp-topic (i.e; non-industry related) conversations :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• 4+1=Moo
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 July 2009 - 09:25 AM

View PostPsychoCoder, on 31 Jul, 2009 - 09:23 AM, said:

I'm moving this to Corner Cubical as the Lounge is for opp-topic (i.e; non-industry related) conversations :)

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• g+ + -o drink whiskey.cpp
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 July 2009 - 09:31 AM

I hire programers all the time. I'll be frank...I would not hire a kid with the experience you're describing, and certainly not in a lead position. Finally, I surely would not make that person a lead on one of the flagship products/projects...so I guess the answer is no to all of your questions. Happy to discuss the reasons why if you'd like, although they should be pretty self evident.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• 4+1=Moo
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 July 2009 - 09:39 AM

View PostAmadeus, on 31 Jul, 2009 - 09:31 AM, said:

I hire programers all the time. I'll be frank...I would not hire a kid with the experience you're describing, and certainly not in a lead position. Finally, I surely would not make that person a lead on one of the flagship products/projects...so I guess the answer is no to all of your questions. Happy to discuss the reasons why if you'd like, although they should be pretty self evident.

But if a kid (not using me as a example again :P ) wanted to provide to you somehow that they could do it, what would you have them do?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Head DIC Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 July 2009 - 09:48 AM

If you were to hire someone young with little experience and no degree, no matter their abilities, they would be placed in a position where they could prove themselves. This is how business works. You climb the ladder.

A lead programmer position is much more than knowing how to program. It's about managing assets and resources, mainly people. Lead programmers not only program, but they often play the role of project manager, analyst, and mediator. A lead programmer is partially a management position so having a solid understanding of good management practices, and of course project management is extremely important.

A good programmer in a good organization could easily climb the ladder though within a few years.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• 4+1=Moo
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 July 2009 - 09:54 AM

View Postskyhawk133, on 31 Jul, 2009 - 09:48 AM, said:

If you were to hire someone young with little experience and no degree, no matter their abilities, they would be placed in a position where they could prove themselves. This is how business works. You climb the ladder.

A lead programmer position is much more than knowing how to program. It's about managing assets and resources, mainly people. Lead programmers not only program, but they often play the role of project manager, analyst, and mediator. A lead programmer is partially a management position so having a solid understanding of good management practices, and of course project management is extremely important.

A good programmer in a good organization could easily climb the ladder though within a few years.

Thank you for your feedback :^:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 July 2009 - 10:48 AM

Hey! I'm 13 and I'm a mod of gdart.forumotion.net! :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 31 July 2009 - 12:48 PM

Being a forum mod is not a real job and rarely counts for experience. Age doesn't matter. If the kid has experience, then let them prove their experience just like anyone else. And I am talking real work experience, work in a company, not years programming.

Also, I highly suggest finishing school to any kid. College at the very least. It is possible to drop out of high school and go to college if one wants to. These days, employers also look for a good education.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Google.Sucks.Init(true);
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 July 2009 - 12:53 PM

For a position of Lead Developer, and especially for a companies flagship product, I wouldn't even consider hiring a kid for that position. In fact, if the person didn't have at least 5 years professional programming experience (real world experience, not school years) then I probably wouldn't even consider them for the position. For a position like that the person would have to have lots of experience, both with programming, and with handling people & resources, not something I would consider handing off to someone with no real world experience and no lead experience.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 July 2009 - 05:06 PM

View PostAmrykid, on 31 Jul, 2009 - 08:20 AM, said:

Ok, lets say, hypothetically speaking, you owned a Huge Software Company. And lets say, a kid (for example, me) asked to join your company as a lead developer of your Company's Biggest/Expensive project. You and your company has invested a lot into this project. Now, lets say, the kids statistics were these (These are mine as of now).
Programming Languages: .NET(C#,VB.NET, ASP.NET), C++(QT toolkit), and a bit of other things.
Years: 3-4 Years or so.
Thinking Ability: Able to solve programming problems.
Now, that sounds a little to simple, but don't really use me as a example, just, think, would you hire a kid as a lead programmer (he/she is very talented at programming).
Would you need he/she to take some kind of test or so? Let me know what all of you think :P

I honestly don't see much qualification to be hired even for an entry-level programmer.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 July 2009 - 08:23 PM

View PostShidash, on 31 Jul, 2009 - 11:48 AM, said:

Being a forum mod is not a real job and rarely counts for experience. Age doesn't matter. If the kid has experience, then let them prove their experience just like anyone else. And I am talking real work experience, work in a company, not years programming.

Also, I highly suggest finishing school to any kid. College at the very least. It is possible to drop out of high school and go to college if one wants to. These days, employers also look for a good education.

I know... :blush:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Sarcasm Extraordinaire!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 July 2009 - 08:25 PM

View Postskyhawk133, on 31 Jul, 2009 - 10:48 AM, said:

return this;
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 August 2009 - 04:46 AM

No, I doubt I would hire you, to be honest. But, that doesn't mean much coming from me. And it has nothing to do with the programmer being a "kid". Those skills aren't "very talented programmer" material.

This post has been edited by Raynes: 01 August 2009 - 04:50 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• 4+1=Moo
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 August 2009 - 08:07 AM

View PostRaynes, on 1 Aug, 2009 - 04:46 AM, said:

No, I doubt I would hire you, to be honest. But, that doesn't mean much coming from me. And it has nothing to do with the programmer being a "kid". Those skills aren't "very talented programmer" material.

What i said was a example, i meant someone who is really good...Has done alot of projects in a lot of different languages.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (3 Pages)
  • +