• +

24 Replies - 26207 Views - Last Post: 31 January 2010 - 02:33 AM

Replies To: Cloud Computing with C#

• Google.Sucks.Init(true);
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Cloud Computing with C#

Post icon  Posted 31 July 2009 - 03:15 PM

Anyone out there getting into Cloud Computing yet? I recently began looking at it and what it can do, that's when I found Windows Azure, one of Microsoft's tools for Cloud Computing. It looks promising as far as what it offers, and cannot wait to dig a little deeper into this and see how far down the rabbit hole goes.

Anyone else playing around with Cloud Computing with C#?

EDIT: By the way, you need Windows Server 2008 SP1 or Windows Vista SP1 to be able to install and use any of the Azure SDK's
Was This Post Helpful? 1

• using System.Linq;
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 July 2009 - 03:20 PM

This is exactly what I am looking for. Currently working on a project that requires a centralized storage/service system, so I am currently studying how cloud computing works and how I can implement my solution to use it to the fullest.

As far as I know, Azure currently is in the CTP stage and you have to get an invitation (you can easily get it by registering online) to use Windows Azure, however, you can instantly access the Azure .NET Services.

Interesting how it all works. I downloaded the SDK and will install it now.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 July 2009 - 03:23 PM

You're right about the CTP (Should have mentioned that in the post, sorry for that) but I want to get the word out about it so all C# people will know by the time it goes RTM.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• using System.Linq;
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 July 2009 - 03:26 PM

It's a nice platform, I must say. The possibility to remotely host services and applications and supply them on-demand to the end-users is an idea that was already tried a while ago (good old client computers connected to big centralized terminals) but seems to get a new improved image and offer more possiblities. Did you get the SDK for Azure?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 July 2009 - 03:39 PM

Of course I got it (DUH :P) I think this will do nothing but help C# (and VB.NET) expand as far as what the possibilities are with the language (That sounded a lot better in my head, it really did). I too signed up for the CTP for the service, I really want to get further into Cloud Computing with C#, to see what is possible.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• using Caffeine;
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 July 2009 - 03:41 PM

I have been wanting to try Cloud computing for some time now. I was hoping it would help with a peer-to-peer application that I want to write. Thanks for sharing the link. :^:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 July 2009 - 05:02 PM

Check out this article on using Azure and Cloud Computing in C#, rather interesting
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• using System.Linq;
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 August 2009 - 01:53 AM

Cloud storage is the topic that interests me as of now, because my project is based on remote data storage, and the article gives an inside look on that.

I look forward using the SQL Azure Database, but it seems like this project is still in its development stage and is not available to public.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 01 August 2009 - 06:02 AM

I'm absolutely loving Windows Azure right now. I'm in between projects and I am quite impressed at the extensibility of the platform. I think considering it's leveraging a familiar framework it might give Amazon a run for it's money.

edit: darn typos

This post has been edited by christinahelton: 01 August 2009 - 06:02 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Jawsome++;
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 August 2009 - 08:28 AM

I've actually been doing research in cloud computing at my school, I really enjoy the freedom I have been given to explore and experiment with this fascinating topic. I'd be more than happy to help in any efforts for projects involving this.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 August 2009 - 10:16 AM

I find it a bit funny you guys are talking like Windows Azure is a brand new thought. Remember, Microsoft has very few original thoughts these days. Google has had App Engine going for some time. Not only that, Google appears to do it cheaper. I have found a nice little comparison table for the two in case you were interested.

Price comparison between Windows Azure and Google App Engine

:)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• .. does not guess solutions
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 August 2009 - 06:58 AM

Difference is though, this is a Microsoft Service. Watch the WPC09 Keynotes about Azure and you'll see just how awesome it is, and how Google Apps stuff is just blown out of the water.

Furthermore, Azure's free to developers for early adoption up until November.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 03 August 2009 - 11:23 AM

I have been doing a research project over the summer at the University of South Florida working with the Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud (EC2).

The aim of the project is to develop a testing platform for web applications that utilizes cloud resources to perform load testing on web apps. It's really rough right now; but, I'd be happy to share insight if anyone has anyone has any questions.

I have a C# app (client control panel) that I run on my personal work station that connects to Amazon via an API. It is able to manage AMI's (Amazon Machine Images) which are essentially virtual servers. They run Windows Server 2003. I run web services on my AMI's and the client control panel connects out to them and provides data such as scripted http requests and user data. The AMI's then simulate some number of users and validate the responses and measure response times. This performance data is sent back to the client control panel for analysis.

Still a work in progress though as I said.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• using System.Linq;
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 August 2009 - 12:34 PM

@tree6014 I was just curious - when you connect to Amazon via an API - are you using REST and XML output to interact with the client application or there is an application-specific API?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 03 August 2009 - 03:21 PM

Amazon provides an open source API that returns XML responses which are then parsed by the client app.

The API can be found here http://developer.ama...externalID=1673

A client demo can be found here http://developer.ama...;categoryID=187

The demo uses an old version of the API though which will no longer be supported later this year. It also doesn't really demonstrate all of the necessary functionality; but, it gives a rough idea of how it works. I believe you have to do a RSA decryption implementation in order to obtain the admin password for an AMI via a client app. That isn't demonstrated... However, you can download the ElasticFox plugin for Firefox. That has everything of importance implemented.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +