12 Replies - 1035 Views - Last Post: 09 August 2009 - 08:13 AM

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

New site layout for my site

Posted 02 August 2009 - 09:53 AM

Hey guys,

I have been working on a new site layout for my site i-Flint Internet as i have been getting slightly bored with the current one.

Currently the new layout is just in fireworks but i thought i would ask your opinions before i started to do all the HTML and CSS.

Attached Image

Cheers,

Tommyflint

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: New site layout for my site

• #include "soul.h"
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: New site layout for my site

Posted 02 August 2009 - 10:48 AM

Hm, it looks very interesting, I would suggest a couple of changes to it.

First off, I love the top light effect you used (if I can ask, how did you create it?). It works out very well and is very eye catching. I think you should capitalize on that throughout your skin.

That being said, I think you should go about adding more lighting effects to the bottom navbar (as a background effect instead of the glow).

Then, with the HRs I would suggest making them more of a rainbox color, or rotating them with a lighting effect (something like so: http://gimp-tutorial...imp-glow-effect )

I don't know what exactly to do here, but the navbar doesn't really seem to fit in with the rest of the skin, so I would suggest changing it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 August 2009 - 11:51 AM

Well i would like to say i created the top light effect but unfortunately you have picked up on the only part i didn't create grrr lol but yes i found it very eye catching thats the reason why i used it.
I have been looking for tuts for the lighting effect as i wanted to create my own, so if your interested here is a good one i came across http://www.blog.spoo...ct-in-photoshop

Cheers for the advice Betawar :)

tommyflint
I shall take a look at the link you provided and see how i can improve the nav bar :)

This post has been edited by tommyflint: 02 August 2009 - 11:52 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 August 2009 - 12:46 PM

I shall post my attempts after i have finished waving the torch around in front of the camera lol :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 August 2009 - 04:52 PM

Still working on the lighting effect but i have made few changes to the layout if you guys wouldn't mind giving your opinions :)

Attached Image

cheers,

Tommyflint
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Tired.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 August 2009 - 05:05 PM

Uhm, ok. That feels kind of like christmas lights. I suggest taking the top left hand corner images to the extreme and allowing that to be your graphic, throw in a man page image that fits your style (makes it feel real and personable) -

Here's an example that I designed for a client that has the same suggested layout (definitely not the same feel):

Attached Image

Hope that helps. Looking good though and thanks for the tut.

--
Greg
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 August 2009 - 05:43 PM

Cheers for the advice greg.... after finishing the nav bar i felt it looked very christmas like aswell but fort i would post it on here anyways to see what your reactions were.
i will work on it again tomorrow basing it around the top left image, maybe i will use my lighting effect i'm working on now as the main page image just slightly make it opaque.

Cheers for the example aswell :)

I will keep you posted

tommyflint
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Tired.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 August 2009 - 09:36 PM

No problem. I love the word cheers, I am going to try to force it into my vocabulary in the coming days, here's hoping.

--

Greg
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 August 2009 - 06:55 AM

lol is cheers not really a word used over in the states?

I have made a few changes to the layout (got rid of the christmas lights, ill maybe use them around christmas time change the theme a little :) ) so yeah have a look and post any feedback :)

Attached Image

cheers,

tommyflint
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• using Caffeine;
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 August 2009 - 07:47 AM

It is looking good. I like the transparency of the page over the background, if you get what I mean. That you can see what I guess you could call ribbons behind the page. You have green in the ribbons, maybe you could try a little green in the nav bar. It is looking good to me.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• #include "soul.h"
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 03 August 2009 - 12:16 PM

Very nice. It is really coming together. As 6 of 11 said I think a little green in the navbar would really pull it all together.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Tired.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 August 2009 - 10:23 PM

When you walk into Armani's to buy a suit, what do you expect the help to be dressed in? A fancy suit, if they came to you in jeans and a t-shirt you would feel out of place.

So in the same manner, when I see your top and bottom and I see beauty and elegance and then some of your fonts look like hand scribblings it just screams, "Something's wrong here."

Please don't take that the wrong way, I am just trying to show you how important font choice is.

It is looking really good though - keep it up.

--

Greg
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 August 2009 - 08:13 AM

Hey guys i have been working on my website recently and have got a live version up and running so if you guys wouldn't mind checking it out then that would be pretty cool :)

http://www.iflintint...cept/index.html

When you walk into Armani's to buy a suit, what do you expect the help to be dressed in? A fancy suit, if they came to you in jeans and a t-shirt you would feel out of place.So in the same manner, when I see your top and bottom and I see beauty and elegance and then some of your fonts look like hand scribblings it just screams, "Something's wrong here."Please don't take that the wrong way, I am just trying to show you how important font choice is.It is looking really good though - keep it u

I can see where your coming from but i personally am reallllly fond on that font i have used but maybe if some other people could give there opinion on it then that would be great :)

cheers,

tommyflint
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1