7 Replies - 583 Views - Last Post: 07 August 2009 - 11:11 AM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

What do I do with the things I've learned?

Posted 03 August 2009 - 02:35 PM

Title pretty much says it. I don't know how I can get people to have trust in me, being that I'm 17. I do PHP, HTML, CSS, Flash, Photoshop, JQuery, and a little Ruby on Rails. I spend so much time learning technologies and I don't seem to have anything to show for it. What can I do with these skills? I've even tried rentacoder.com where I've only received one job in a months time that payed only $3 for 4 hours worth of work.

Any ideas?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: What do I do with the things I've learned?

• .. does not guess solutions
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: What do I do with the things I've learned?

Posted 03 August 2009 - 03:58 PM

Have you considered trying to get a job..??

We'll be hiring more web developers on an (almost) freelance basis to assist our other developers in taking over my role in web/software development... Feel free to submit an informal application over at this link if you want. Leave "Position" as "Please Choose..." and just put in the "How did you hear about this opening?" box that you're fashionnugget.

I'm only 18 and more than encourage young people to get into the business early; Thus would be more than happy to assist you in building your "reputation" and experience (also portfolio where available, however most of our work is done under strict NDA...).

This post has been edited by MageUK: 03 August 2009 - 03:59 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Gentleman of Leisure
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 August 2009 - 08:35 AM

You can also build an online portfolio to showcase your skills.
Create some fictitious websites that demonstrate certain techniques. Think of this as an online resume.

Network, network, network. Get involved in projects, make contact with other developers and attend conferences etc..
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Tired.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 August 2009 - 06:13 PM

Question. Have you learned it all? Probably not, and while you have the oppurtunity to question what should I do, take this time to say what can I do beyond what I can do (sorry for that mouthful - that's what she said [sorry, I just heard michael of the office saying that when I wrote it]). Anyways, what I mean by that is - if you have lurned HTML, then conquer CSS, then Javascript, then move on to PHP,ASP,JSP.

I would suggest looking at your life and saying - I hate to do 'X' - and then create an application that allows you to simplify 'X'.

Never stop learning.

--

Greg
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#5 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 August 2009 - 06:16 PM

I find a hard time believing that you can't find work on Rent A Coder with the skillset of PHP, HTML, CSS, Flash, Photoshop, JQuery, and a little Ruby on Rails.

I see Flash jobs on there all the time, & I myself have taken on a few PHP/Html jobs.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Tired.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 August 2009 - 06:20 PM

I find a hard time believing that you can't find work on Rent A Coder

Yeah - our company uses them quite often when our staff gets bogged down.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 August 2009 - 07:57 PM

You could always try to find an internship with a company that specializes in what you know the most.

~Camo
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 07 August 2009 - 11:11 AM

I'm guessing that your age has a little bit to do with it, and it may get better once you're an "adult" at 18.

Still, the best two things you can do is to build a professional portfolio of work, as it's not enough to just know the languages, you need to show that you can use them in the implementation of solutions. The second part is networking. Try getting in on team projects. You might get stuck with boring, repetitive hand coding, but you'll likely meet (and gain the trust of) a developer that been in this line of work for a while. As with many jobs (regardless of industry), once you get an in, you can impress and grow from there.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1