How to become an Expert in C++

what text book helped u what online tutorial made u an A+ in C++

Page 1 of 1

8 Replies - 12236 Views - Last Post: 05 August 2009 - 10:02 PM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

How to become an Expert in C++

Post icon  Posted 04 August 2009 - 06:23 PM

what text book helped u what online tutorial made u an A+ in C++

can any one direct me to a downloadable C++ video im currently doing a first year degree in computing science and electronic engineering.........

and i really cant understand my lecturer coz his English is very hard to digest...........Even when he says Good morning...its like......GOO....MAULLING....

uuhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!

last semester i downloaded video lectures from MIT.....physics....DAM MIT lectures are 100% too good.............

I wish we had lectures like that here in the pacific...........

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: How to become an Expert in C++

• Saucy!
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: How to become an Expert in C++

Posted 04 August 2009 - 06:44 PM

Go search YouTube, there are a couple of C++ channels where people are walking newcomers through C++.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Can grep dead trees!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 August 2009 - 08:55 PM

Do it.

Program. Use the language. Experience. Be interested in new techniques. Browse, read about techniques and technologies, use what you learn -- write programs.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 August 2009 - 10:19 PM

Contrary to popular belief (by some students) one does not become an expert by getting an A+ in a c++ class. College will only give you the tools you need to become a professional IT person, its not an end by itself. You become a c++ expert through real-world experience, which you is what you can not get in college. You become a c++ expert only after several years of coding, trial, error, fixing other people's bugs, and more coding. After 10-20 years of that you too can call yourself an expert.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 August 2009 - 05:47 AM

FoodTV is a very popular cable channel. People watch it and think they're experts on cooking. You can watch all the videos, read all the books, arm chair surf all possible material. Until you actually do it, you're just a voyeur.

You want to be a cook, crack an egg. Have a few fires, screw up a lot, in time experience will lessen the screw ups and you will be perceived as competent, maybe even expert.

You want to be an expert programmer, write code. You've read about code, now write it on your own. You'll screw up, at first. Expert means you have experience and no one can give you that, you have to earn it.

Edit: Right, what NickDMax said, only longer. :P

This post has been edited by baavgai: 05 August 2009 - 05:48 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 August 2009 - 06:32 AM

The only true ingredient to become an expert is experience.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 05 August 2009 - 07:49 AM

I think he knows that he wont be an expert in his 1st year at university.
I believe you think you need to be self taught because your teacher sucks because of his / her english.

Your teacher will only show you some syntax but you have to code it yourself.

Try this site its very good
http://xoax.net/comp...nsole/index.php

use
cpluplus for reference

Hope this is what you need
Kevin
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 05 August 2009 - 09:52 PM

Well, I am far from even being considered a programmer by any stretch of the imagination. I'll only be in my last year of high school, but what has worked for me thus far has been a combination of books and analyzing different tutorial programs in the compiler, and picking at it.

Many people recommend C++ Primer Plus, which is an excellent book(I don't know what your professor has you using). It's ~1200 Pages in physical size which can be a little daunting. This was quite a step up from "C++ for Dummies", which helped with a basic understanding of the language in general. He will explain an idea, such as the "sizeof" operator, he then presents some code, and will go through and re-digest the entire program with you, explaining and re-explaining the purpose of the included header files, the naming of variables and so on.

What keeps me motivated to learn the mundane and simple programs is toying around with more complex things such as the DirectX SDK on VS2008. It's great to see the guts of something that's so powerful and be able to break it down and start to understand whats going on in each line.

I'm actually looking at the same combination of studies as you--so best of luck to the both of us.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 August 2009 - 10:02 PM

C++ by Savitch is a very intuitive book on the language. It covers inheritance, recursion, header files, linked lists, arrays, classes, friends, overloaded operators, sort algorithms, and the standard template library to name a few.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1