Timekeeping App - Noob needs help

I'm trying to buld a timekeeping app I need lots of help getting s

Page 1 of 1

7 Replies - 1334 Views - Last Post: 08 August 2009 - 01:08 PM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Timekeeping App - Noob needs help

Post icon  Posted 05 August 2009 - 11:36 AM

I'm trying to put together a timekeeping app any help in structuring and hints would be appreciated greatly. I'm doing this as a volunteer service to a local food bank that needs all the IT help it can get. I'm not very well versed in PHP and to remedy that I'll be taking courses this fall. But I'd still like to help out.

This is a volunteer time sheet to keep track of volunteer hours. This will be hosted on the foodbank's public site (I think i need to key this app to a specific IP range too) I'm looking for help getting started, not someone to do the work for me. However, Im kinda lost.

Should I use a framework or should I do this by hand? I'm somewhat interested in codeignighter.

ill have to create a users table I know.
users will have to login to log time
admins will be able to see time sheets and print reports (possible to export to pdf?)
users will not be able to change time stamp, the app must put time in and time out.

We are doing this because its time to digitize everything and our main computers have been stolen 3 times in the last 8 months (its a rough neighborhood).

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Timekeeping App - Noob needs help

• Tired.
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Timekeeping App - Noob needs help

Posted 05 August 2009 - 12:02 PM

Uhm. K. That isn't very much info, is solely time keeping? Because that's simple, you could have on login create a new row with a timestamp, it begins timing and whatever and then upon logout it creates another timestamp.

But, you may wish to have an on/off button that is there when they login, they click the button and a new record is started with a name and description of what they are doing, maybe even coordinate it with a certain job/task.

Give me a little bit more direction and and I can help you out.

--

Greg
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• if($spareTime > 0){ $this->writeCode(); }
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 August 2009 - 12:20 PM

right well you could have a db and have 2 tables

table 1 - list of all the members, their security levels

table 2 - every time a user logs in add a row with, user, level, login time and logoff time

when a user logs in add the same time to both log in and logoff that way when a user wants to look at the times if someone is still working you can parse it to say

(time) - now

then when they log out reset the log out time to the time they logged out and then it will parse as

login - logout

thats the basic premises of it, hope it helps
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 05 August 2009 - 01:39 PM

Ok it will be soley for timekeeping now but I may have to extend it later. I need to be able to have a user login the system keeps a timestamp and before they leave the site they must login again and clock out. I need for my bosses to be able (not very tech savvy) to at a glance tell how many hours a volunteer has done say today, this week, in a month, this year, all time, for all volunteers. (possibly even email reports daily). essentially a time clock that is somewhat tamper resistant.

I was maybe even thinking something like for each usr there would be an hours table that would take the timestamp info and calculate hours in a day that would be stored

| users | timesheets | with userid as the key.
each user has demographic info on the users db

userid
f_name
l_name
address
phone
email
ect

the timesheets table would have ?????

we were using excel tables but that has gotten out of hand.

This post has been edited by jetrois: 05 August 2009 - 01:49 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 August 2009 - 07:31 PM

well im on holiday at the moment but email me at

rugbyismysoulx[at]hotmail.co.uk

i might be able to make something for you which would do what you wanted when i get home.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 06 August 2009 - 09:50 AM

View Postghqwerty, on 5 Aug, 2009 - 08:31 PM, said:

well im on holiday at the moment but email me at

rugbyismysoulx[at]hotmail.co.uk

i might be able to make something for you which would do what you wanted when i get home.

thanx I may email u about it anyway its more of a learning thing at the moment its not a pressing need but I need a mid-range project i can sink my teeth into for the next 4 weeks while Im not in classes I need to be able to do this to help build my skills and cement some of the knowledge that I've gained over the last semester. but any hints and help would be appreciated.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 August 2009 - 10:46 AM

well in that case, first set up your db with i would say the 2 tables i mentioned then you can start setting it up.

once you have your db work out how you are going to display the info, probably a list of all your users which are links, and when you click on them in the new page it loads the last x amount of logins and logouts the length on each one with a totals row at the bottom

the totals row will say how many logins, how many logouts, how long they have worked, how many times theyve worked in ther last x day etc.

also have a 'view all' button which will then load all the logins from the specified user and ammend the total accordingly.

then you could have an 'email this' or a 'print this' button which you can email to your bosses etc.

now up untill now just use arbitrary number for the details and worry about the php later thats how i normally start something when im not sure about it.

then when you have all that done, come back here and i'll be happy to help you again.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 08 August 2009 - 01:08 PM

thanks i've setup some of the db already I jsut got to fill in the timesheet db and get started on the php side of things
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1