What will i need to learn to work in freelancing

Page 1 of 1

7 Replies - 1405 Views - Last Post: 05 March 2010 - 09:04 PM

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

What do I need to know?

Posted 05 August 2009 - 04:26 PM

I'm 15, and I've been programming in C++ for about a year. My idea is to learn as much as I can while I'm still in high school that way, I'll be able to get some odd jobs as I'm studying in college. I was wondering what is generally required to get simple freelancing jobs? By simple, I mean, something that wouldn't require a degree (if possible)

I already/I'm learning know:
C/C++
Gtk+
Win32
DirectX
Cairo Graphics Library

What else could I learn to add to my resume?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: What do I need to know?

• GAME OVER. NERD WINS.
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: What do I need to know?

Posted 05 August 2009 - 05:13 PM

it depends who you're working for. I've found web-dev stuff, like html can be good for just little odd jobs, because tons of people have a web site, but not everybody wants a program written for them. I've updated my friends and teachers sites a couple of times. I didn't get paid for it, but I'm sure you can find people who will pay you.

As to what to learn, it just depends on what you want to do. Do you know places that'll need directX experience? Do you think you'll be able to find some? My advice is learn everything you can about everything when you're young. I've tackled several languages, and each one teaches you something and will make you a better programmer/more employable.

I'm 15 too, and it would be great to get some jobs in college. :D
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• you can't fix stupid.

• View blog

Posted 07 August 2009 - 03:59 AM

Look around the internet for freelancing sites, bid on real simple jobs, like changing bg colors in photoshop and stuff like that. Don't worry about how little money you make when you start out, make sure you get good ratings and you will be able to charge more money later.

This is how I did it anyway, and now I am making quite a lot just doing simple jobs for way too much money because of my ratings.

Have fun with it, and yeah, html/css/javascript/php/mysql are quite good to know.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 05 January 2010 - 05:38 AM

Hi Iphoneorange,

Im sure youll get best freelancing jobs due to your programming skills. Below are some freelancing benefits:
- Increase your programming skills
- Flexible timings
- Very low investment
Mostly freelancers require some experience to get work. Servana (signature) could help in finding some good quality freelance work with no experience required.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 January 2010 - 01:54 PM

16 here, been programming for about 3 years I guess.

I would say C++ is the best language to learn for freelancing, mainly because it will run right out of the box. People like things that just work, they don't want frameworks or updates.

Especially now, see if you know anybody in healthcare. The industry is switching from primarily paper records to EMR (Electronic Medical Records), and this will require some simple electronic forms, probably in dialogs. That's what I've been doing for cash, but I started in VB, and that came with the .NET framework of course. It was a hassle getting the framework installed on all of their computers, but it turned out well. In retrospect I definitely would have done it in C++, but I didn't have the necessary skills at the time (especially file management).

EMR should give you a good headstart into the industry, but you will need someone on the inside who knows and trusts you xD. Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately :)) not many people trust teenagers with such sensitive software.

That being said, don't mess up. You will lose your job, your friend might lose theirs, and you might be sued depending on the consequences of your faulty software...
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Google.Sucks.Init(true);
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 January 2010 - 02:11 PM

Sorry but there is no best language to know for freelancing. Since it's 2010 Windows comes with the .Net Framework installed (it's actually required for some of the system components) so there's nothing that needs to be installed before an application programmed in any .Net language will work.

The best language for freelancing is whatever language the client wants used for their software. athlon32 you're on the right track, keep going down that path, though I would recommend looking into C# as there are tons of requests for it nowadays. It's a powerful language, with the C++/Java syntax and tons of companies are now using it.

Just my 2 (Except the no perfect freelancing language, that part os just common sense)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 January 2010 - 11:05 PM

This is certainly true. In the end, the client has ultimate control over what you do. And certainly if you are developing for Windows, the .NET framework would be the easier, quicker choice, but, being native, C++ is closer to the operating system and is inherently faster. No framework of any kind can compete with that xD
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 05 March 2010 - 09:04 PM

Get well known. Don't do it too young [Or make a higher age at least] that way people will trust you with doing the work on time.
Also focus on one language, that way more people of that language will come to you for focus.
If your going to be a 'Jack-of-all Trades' kinda guy then don't be surprised if not very many people come to you. I do freelancing for a side job, and quite frankly it gets me an good income. Right now I'm coming in with a second laungage now.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1