• (2 Pages)
  • +

16 Replies - 1147 Views - Last Post: 19 August 2009 - 11:02 PM

• GAME OVER. NERD WINS.
  • member icon

• View blog

Allow users on the site to nominate users for expert or mentor badges

Posted 06 August 2009 - 05:18 PM

I'm just throwing this out as a suggestion to see what the response is. It would be interesting to have a forum where we could nominate people for badges. The mods do a good job of looking through users and seeing who's doing a good job, but I think this would be kind of cool and might make it easier. :D
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Allow users on the site to nominate users for expert or mentor badges

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Allow users on the site to nominate users for expert or mentor badges

Posted 06 August 2009 - 11:23 PM

Voted no.

Have a think about it... a forum dedicated to who you want for a mod. Even a thread would get out of hand... let alone the amount of bias that would go into it. In actual fact, we have actually quite a few mods. Global mods and Mentors (forum mods).

I don't really think it would make it easier. Just a mess and then, more mods would be needed to fix it up.

But, thats just my opinion. I'm sure many will agree, though. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#3 BetaWar  Icon User is online

• #include "soul.h"
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 August 2009 - 11:53 PM

I am not going to give a definite answer on whether or not we will implement this, but I just wanted to state you can always recommend someone for a position by PMing a moderator or admin.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 August 2009 - 11:57 PM

Is there a reason why you are not going to give a definite answer on whether or not we will implement this?

I mean, its a forum on opinions. (not trying to have a go at you, crazyjugglerdrummer)

I think we could start with just one thread, if its taken into consideration.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#5 BetaWar  Icon User is online

• #include "soul.h"
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 August 2009 - 12:01 AM

Is there a reason why you are not going to give a definite answer on whether or not we will implement this?

Mostly because I am weighing the sdes o the suggestion. I am not sure my answer would be satisfactor, nor am I positive that it would be the same answer the rest of the team decides on, so I don't wnat to give a definite.

There are pros and cons to the suggestion, I just need to decide if the pros outweigh the cons before I can personally come up with a decision.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 August 2009 - 12:04 AM

Fair enough, but I don't think your opinion should be discouraged by the rest of the team.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#7 BetaWar  Icon User is online

• #include "soul.h"
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 August 2009 - 12:14 AM

I don't think your opinion should be discouraged by the rest of the team

It isn't, I just don't have the authority to make a decision like this (given that I am not an admin - though even then I would talk with the team before making a final decision).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 August 2009 - 05:18 AM

Here's an idea, you could formulate a list of the nominees and make a poll. That way people can't try to nominate themselves and it also gives users a chance to feel like they helped. Whoever got the most votes didn't necessarily become an Expert/Mentor, it just allows you to narrow down your choices since the team has the final say in who gets it or not.

~Camo
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 August 2009 - 05:24 AM

So where are we going to put this in, if its going to be accepted?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Head DIC Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 August 2009 - 06:05 AM

I've considered creating a method for allowing members to nominate other members for "Expert" and other types of badges, but worry it would simply be a popularity contest, or abused.

Short of that, the new forums have some interesting features that may let us almost automate the process based on a number of criteria.

Good suggestion. I think you'll see this whole system evolve with the new forums when we finally get them upgraded (we're getting closer, but not quite there yet)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• GAME OVER. NERD WINS.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 August 2009 - 05:51 AM

@skyhawk Cool, I've been waiting for these new forums, when exactly are they going to come out? :D

I definitely agree with CamoDeveloper's suggestion of making a poll. It would be more controlled, and I agree we don't need to start off with an entire forum.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Everybody's crazy but me!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 August 2009 - 08:21 AM

View Postskyhawk133, on 7 Aug, 2009 - 08:05 AM, said:

I've considered creating a method for allowing members to nominate other members for "Expert" and other types of badges, but worry it would simply be a popularity contest, or abused.

I agree.

I don't think it is a good idea to choose experts based on public opinion. Sure, there are plenty of people at this site who know what they're doing, but there are also plenty who don't. An 'expert' to me may be entirely different than what it means to you. I think it would end up being more of a hassle than anything. N00bs or semi-n00bs could nominate someone for a badge (who may not deserve it) just because they answered one simple question. And people may end up getting their feelings hurt because of it. "I was nominated, why wasn't I chosen?" Then you'd have to explain..."because, you suck!" :P

The current system seems to work well. Why mess with it?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• No idea why my code works
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 August 2009 - 07:02 AM

I dont think we need a full time thread dedicated to this, for one it would be the same user being nominated, or people placing themselves up (unqualified).

Also I've helped a bunch of ppl on the C# forums, that lets say these forums were up they all might nominate me, now I know my way around C# but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be called an expert. Mod probably. But it wouldn't be fair to the mods of that forum to have to continually sift through nomination of users like me, who while are extremely helpful and people will vote for me, its just not going to happen.

Now if you did this as a one time competition, with strict admission qualifications, i think that would be a great way for the community to cast a vote for someone who they think is deserving. Possibly have a nomination week/or two, then have a polled thread with top 5 eligible candidates to vote on.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#14 Guest_Neumann*

Posted 19 August 2009 - 10:02 AM

View PostSwiftStriker00, on 19 Aug, 2009 - 06:02 AM, said:

Also I've helped a bunch of ppl on the C# forums, that lets say these forums were up they all might nominate me, now I know my way around C# but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be called an expert.

Heh, you think that people with the "Expert" badge here are actually.... experts? Some of them are not even remotely close to being called "Intermediate". This badge is nothing but a token of appreciation that you're helping people here, that's all.
Was This Post Helpful? 0

• using System.Linq;
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 August 2009 - 11:58 AM

Heh, you think that people with the "Expert" badge here are actually.... experts? Some of them are not even remotely close to being called "Intermediate". This badge is nothing but a token of appreciation that you're helping people here, that's all.

We assign the expert badge to people who are really at a high level of knowledge on a specific topic. If you take a close look at the people with the expert badge, you will see that they are not experts in everything - they have their own domain of expertise. You may consider it a token of appreciation, but it also shows that the person in case has deep knowledge on the subject.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +