Resources On A Network

Possible failure to completly close excel

Page 1 of 1

2 Replies - 595 Views - Last Post: 03 September 2009 - 02:36 PM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Resources On A Network

Posted 07 August 2009 - 09:03 AM

This is a series of questions based on my own paranoia. I have developed an app and I am using excel to store my information(old VBA programmer so I retreated to what I was comfortable with.) I will convert to SQL someday but I have a hard time understanding how VB and SQL talk. Anyways my Excel storage file lives on a network. When it was on my desktop I had problems with excel sticking around in my task manager and not closing cleanly. I fixed that but since I moved the Excel program out on to network I started to get paranoid that the excel program may be eating network resources and stacking up. Ultimately this fear is derived from my own ignorance as are the majority of my problems. I tried looking around online for the answers I need but don't think I am asking the right questions. When ran from a shared network folder does the excel program use any server resources similar to the memory process used on my desktop. If so how can I tell if the process is clear while on the network and if it is not clearing can I use a marshal process or something to clear it. As a side note I am not a network administrator and the App is rather clandestine until it is completed and I can get it blessed by the administration. I am not favored by the network IT guys in my company and they will move to block me from completing my project if they catch wind it is what I am doing..... rival budgetary projects. Ergo I do not have access to the server per say. I have an ally in their department but I don't want to burn that favor just because I am paranoid. So if I can do this from my work station that would be swell. Thanks for your time.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Resources On A Network

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Re: Resources On A Network

Posted 07 August 2009 - 09:35 AM

I would not run excel from the file server, it will use server resources as it loads and serves the required files to each client.

If the close the process locally the file share will be closed on the server, just like accessing any other file.

When you run Excel locally are you cleaning up the excel object with System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.ReleaseComObject(xl) where xl is an instance of Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel.Application?

This post has been edited by T3hC13h: 07 August 2009 - 09:36 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Resources On A Network

Posted 03 September 2009 - 02:36 PM

View PostT3hC13h, on 7 Aug, 2009 - 08:35 AM, said:

I would not run excel from the file server, it will use server resources as it loads and serves the required files to each client.

If the close the process locally the file share will be closed on the server, just like accessing any other file.

When you run Excel locally are you cleaning up the excel object with System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.ReleaseComObject(xl) where xl is an instance of Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel.Application?

Yes I am cleaning house with a marshal statement.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1