Best Communication From Desktop to Online Data

What are the best practices to communicating with online data

Page 1 of 1

1 Replies - 722 Views - Last Post: 07 August 2009 - 11:10 AM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Best Communication From Desktop to Online Data

Posted 07 August 2009 - 09:54 AM

So I'm developing a desktop application that needs to communicate with online data (database) from my website. I am looking for a fast reliable way to communicate with that website. There's two options I can think of which are:

(1) I just communicate with an intermediate web page using WebClient to pass data to and from website. I know how to do this, but is this scalable? If let's say 10,000 people are doing this... will this be ok on the website itself?

(2) Somehow establish communication with the database itself that is located on website. I don't know how to do this... and this would be probably slow.

(3) Keep all database records to XML and some how communicate with the xml file.

(4) Other way I don't know of?

If anyone has any thoughts of the matter, I would so appreciate their input. The only option I know of and know will work is #1 but I want it to be fast communication between a desktop application and online database/xml file.

- Stan

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Best Communication From Desktop to Online Data

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Best Communication From Desktop to Online Data

Posted 07 August 2009 - 11:10 AM

For databasing through a network, I always build a client-server using sockets. Just send requests to the server (which should always be on the local machine as the DB) and have the server process requests and send results back to the client.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1