4 Replies - 1199 Views - Last Post: 11 September 2009 - 11:56 AM

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

SOTW Sig Question

Posted 08 August 2009 - 02:34 PM

Hey this is a question to Greg about his Sig for this weeks SOTW.... i was wondering if you would be willing to create a little tut on how you created the cracked wall effect and the text over the top or if you followed a tut could you link me to it as i'm curious how it was done and wouldn't mind creating the effect myself for my new desktop background

Cheers

tommyflint
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: SOTW Sig Question

• Tired.
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: SOTW Sig Question

Posted 08 August 2009 - 02:58 PM

LOL. That's hilarious - nope no tut, just too many years in slave shops where they whip your mouse hand instead of your back. LOL.

Here you go - first here is the image he is speaking about:
Posted Image

Ok.

First I came up with an idea for the sig of the week and I wanted it to be about Dream in Code in essence. My first though was to have a kid asleep at the keyboard and having the code write itself, but it seemed too obvious and gave the portrayal that the sleeping kid did no work. Then I thought, well when you dream you travel to a different space and time, so I thought of objects you use when traveling. The suitcase was an obvious winner because I liked it's look and feel (I love grunge).

Anyways so we started off with this image:
Posted Image

Then I added in the cracked wall image to end up with this:
Posted Image

To make it look like the cracked wall was a part of the image I double clicked on the cracked wall layer and switched the blending settings from Normal to Multiply.
Posted Image

That gives us a nice blend of the two layers making it look as though the wall has a huge crack in it, but we can still see the hard evidence of the edges of the cracked image. So I clicked my eraser tool, right clicked on the image/canvas to bring up my tool options and set the brush hardness to 0 (gives the brush an intense feather feel) - you can set this in the brush pallet as well.
Posted Image

Then I erased the edges to give it a nice blended feel:
Posted Image

Then I added in my verbiage using Base02 font. To get the letters to look faded I set the layer transparency to 85%, and then I took my eraser and set the opacity of the eraser tool to 25% and only erased the letters where they were inside the cracks.
Posted Image

So there you go. If you have any more questions about any of it I would be more than willing to answer them. Thanks.

--

Greg
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 August 2009 - 03:23 PM

Thank you very much for posting that tut Greg i will now try and incorporate it into my new desktop background

(I love grunge)

I'm also a big fan of the grunge effect... I just don't get to practice the effect enough because how often does someone want something that is all grungy.... although it does look awesome :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Everybody's crazy but me!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 September 2009 - 07:26 PM

Hey Greg, that's pretty cool. Have you submitted it as a tutorial here? :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Tired.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 September 2009 - 11:56 AM

No. It is a tutorial already. LOL. Don't have the time these days. LOL.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1