Not Worth it to learn ColdFusion?

Many programmers say that... why?

Page 1 of 1

6 Replies - 4164 Views - Last Post: 18 October 2009 - 08:28 PM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Not Worth it to learn ColdFusion?

Posted 10 August 2009 - 10:48 AM

I am now very successfully starting to develop my knowledge in ColfFusion programming, so I started a few post here and there. I must say I like it a lot. More than I liked PHP. When I mention ColdFusion many people doesn't seem to like it at all. Some of them just say it is not OK, but on the other hand they don't give me the reasons why they thinnk CF is bad. I understand, it is not free like PHP, but to be honest I find it much easier and funny to code. I don't say CF is better than any other languages, because I am still not on that level maybe.

Also I am pretty much sure that if you know basics of programming, you can program in any language you want. My opinion about CF is that it is pretty easy to get along and it has some quite interesting tools. For now what cought my eye as a beginner in CF is variables dumping, easy MySQL querying, easy function building and the fact that it runs on JVM. also I like very much the component part and the way of calling / invoking functions and so on and so on.

When it comes to web developing I only tried PHP and ColFusion (if I don't count the obvious HTML, XML, CSS, Javascript...).

Anyways, I would like to read your opinions about CF. Do you think CF doesn't have any carachteristic that puts it over some other platform?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Not Worth it to learn ColdFusion?

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Not Worth it to learn ColdFusion?

Posted 10 August 2009 - 11:43 AM

View PostComboAlex, on 10 Aug, 2009 - 09:48 AM, said:

I am now very successfully starting to develop my knowledge in ColfFusion programming, so I started a few post here and there. I must say I like it a lot. More than I liked PHP. When I mention ColdFusion many people doesn't seem to like it at all. Some of them just say it is not OK, but on the other hand they don't give me the reasons why they thinnk CF is bad. I understand, it is not free like PHP, but to be honest I find it much easier and funny to code. I don't say CF is better than any other languages, because I am still not on that level maybe.

Also I am pretty much sure that if you know basics of programming, you can program in any language you want. My opinion about CF is that it is pretty easy to get along and it has some quite interesting tools. For now what cought my eye as a beginner in CF is variables dumping, easy MySQL querying, easy function building and the fact that it runs on JVM. also I like very much the component part and the way of calling / invoking functions and so on and so on.

When it comes to web developing I only tried PHP and ColFusion (if I don't count the obvious HTML, XML, CSS, Javascript...).

Anyways, I would like to read your opinions about CF. Do you think CF doesn't have any carachteristic that puts it over some other platform?

I have just landed a position as a ColdFusion Developer and I have done asp.net and php in the past. I am still learning the Company's system and coding style but I like the language thus far. The "variables dumping, easy MySQL querying" are what I like as well.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 02 October 2009 - 03:13 PM

I have found ColdFusion to have a nice easy learning curve compared to PHP, and it has some very powerful features, especially when integrating with PDF docs and Flash. Probably the biggest reason developers shy away from it is when you pitch to the client or boss and they scratch their heads at the price tag of the software or hosting environment. "You can get PHP on a $5/month hosting plan, why pay $500/mo for a good CF plan?" Well, if budget isn't as big of a concern, I say CF is more developer-friendly once you've learned it.

But then again, it's just opinion, not trying to start a flame war here!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 October 2009 - 08:02 AM

I think one of the biggest issues with ColdFusion lately is that it was popular long ago (before ASP and PHP were popular, when Allare developed ColdFusion), but when Allare went under ColdFusion fell out of the picture and ASP and PHP took over. Since Adobe picked it up it has been gaining some popularity, but there are so few ColdFusion developers now (compared to ASP/PHP developers).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 14 October 2009 - 01:02 PM

Hello,

You probably get that response because of CF's spotted history. There was a time when CFML didn't have cfc's or run on a JVM... not the good ol' days.

If cost is an issue, there are free CFML parsers. Try Railo (pronounced Ray-Low). I actually like it a little better as features seem to get added here before they make it into Adobe's ColdFusion...

Railo

Also I am pretty much sure that if you know basics of programming, you can program in any language you want.

This is a great attitude. You are light years ahead of other developers that are stuck programming in their niche.

If you like to code in it, that is all that really matters. Have Fun!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I make this look good
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 October 2009 - 01:55 PM

Well, one thing you can always say for CF: if you know what you're doing (basically, not a beginner) you can do identical work in about 1/3 the time it would take you to do it in PHP or ASP or other such competing languages. If you're paying a guy $50/hr to code your site, that kind of time savings adds up. It also means you can go from concept to finished site much faster. Debugging and maintenance is also tons easier.

The cost of the server used to be the biggest impediment but there are free CF engines out there (OpenBD comes to mind) and Railo is inexpensive. CF hosting plans aren't $500 (never has been as far as I can recall) and are just a little more per month than comparable PHP or ASP hosting plans. I think GoDaddy, for instance, offers CF sites for like $8-10/mo.

This post has been edited by Craig328: 14 October 2009 - 01:55 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 18 October 2009 - 08:28 PM

My brother is a PHP developer and I have only ever really done ColdFusion and VB development, so whenever we get together we joke a lot about the war between PHP and ColdFusion. He says that really the only reason PHP developers hate ColdFusion is because they are to poor to actually afford a license of a production server. If his company had ColdFusion he would go for it all the way. Most PHP developers don't like ColdFusion because it is a different language, and a lot of ColdFusion developers don't like PHP because it is a different language.

Anyways I love ColdFusion. It is extremely easy to learn, and very fast to build applications. I was able to come from only ever working with HTML & CSS to having a very good working knowledge of ColdFusion in a matter of 6 months. As someone said it ease of dumping variables. Also ColdFusion, although is an expensive server to buy if you plan to host your own stuff, can have a huge return.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1