• (2 Pages)
  • +

20 Replies - 2318 Views - Last Post: 28 January 2010 - 07:44 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Online Schools

Posted 10 August 2009 - 11:29 AM

Hey guys,

I started learning C++ on my own as a hobby. Now I am thinking about career change and looking for the best online school to get programming degree (C++). Why online? I have a full time job and four children. Out of 7 hours a day of sleep I can use 1.5 of them to study. 5.5 hours of sleep, shower and a cup of coffee in the morning and I'm good to go..:)

Thank you my friends....

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Online Schools

• Saucy!
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Online Schools

Posted 10 August 2009 - 11:40 AM

Moving to Student Campus.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#3 Guest_Neumann*

Posted 10 August 2009 - 12:03 PM

Check out University of Phoenix - http://aptm.phoenix.edu/
Was This Post Helpful? 0

• you can't fix stupid.

• View blog

Posted 10 August 2009 - 12:11 PM

Do you really need to enroll in a college for that? How about checking the internet for tutorials and stuff, make yourself a portfolio?

Not trying to say there is anything wrong with it, but do you think there are enough benefits to make it worth it? :)
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 10 August 2009 - 12:39 PM

View Postgawdlike, on 10 Aug, 2009 - 11:11 AM, said:

Do you really need to enroll in a college for that? How about checking the internet for tutorials and stuff, make yourself a portfolio?

Not trying to say there is anything wrong with it, but do you think there are enough benefits to make it worth it? :)

I understand you point. At the same time that piece of paper is important I think, especially when getting a job.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• you can't fix stupid.

• View blog

Posted 10 August 2009 - 12:46 PM

Yeah, you're probably right. :)

This post has been edited by gawdlike: 10 August 2009 - 12:46 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Software Engineer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 August 2009 - 07:57 PM

http://www.elearners...programming.htm

There's a link.

All I can say is that you will have one heck of a day.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 18 August 2009 - 01:21 AM

I got to Florida Tech online. I am getting a BA in Computer Information Systems. I am happy with the school and the teachers. Although this website has become a life saver for me with coding problems late at night. The one big bonus to me about this school is the credits you earn are truly transferable to any state school or university. Its just like as if you are going to FIT. I thought was a good idea incase I wanted to further my education once done at a traditional school or if I wanted to go into a tradional school format before finishing through FIT.

www.floridatechonline.com

Hope that helps some :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 24 September 2009 - 09:30 PM

here

www.uc.edu.ph
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 28 September 2009 - 12:00 AM

View Postvwyodapink, on 18 Aug, 2009 - 12:21 AM, said:

I got to Florida Tech online. I am getting a BA in Computer Information Systems. I am happy with the school and the teachers. Although this website has become a life saver for me with coding problems late at night. The one big bonus to me about this school is the credits you earn are truly transferable to any state school or university. Its just like as if you are going to FIT. I thought was a good idea incase I wanted to further my education once done at a traditional school or if I wanted to go into a tradional school format before finishing through FIT.

www.floridatechonline.com

Hope that helps some :)
I am attending Regis University online and frankly it is difficult because if you run into problems they do not haveutoring availiable. How are the teachers and the online format at FIT. I am thinking about switching colleges

This post has been edited by baross: 28 September 2009 - 12:02 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 28 September 2009 - 07:57 AM

MIT opencourseware

pretty nice
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 September 2009 - 01:02 PM

View PostKhaunshar, on 28 Sep, 2009 - 06:57 AM, said:

MIT opencourseware

pretty nice

Yeh, if you've got mula lol...

Beware of Phoenix, I looked into going there and was disappointed to find out half way through the enrollment process that they are nationally accredited, not regionally, which means the degree is not transferable for grad school, which can be a problem. Ensure whatever university you attend is regionally accredited by one of the big 5, and the program suits you well... Most programs are not focused on a specific language though, so you may have a hard time there. My program is on many languages, C#, Java, VB, and electives are available in other languages.

Just beware, many online programs are more difficult because there is 2x more reading than a standard class, and it can be hard to find tutoring if needed. The mindset that online school is simple is baseless, unless you're attending a non-regionally accredited university or papermill. Many are fast paced programs too, so I'd recommend maybe trying out a few online classes offered by say a local community college, before enrolling in a University.

This post has been edited by W3bDev: 30 September 2009 - 01:06 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 September 2009 - 03:13 PM

I go to Baker College and find it to have great teaching and support. They offer associates degrees that can lead into bachelor degrees. I recommend them, I love it there! www.baker.edu
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• g++ jameson.cpp -o beverage
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 October 2009 - 10:21 AM

View PostW3bDev, on 30 Sep, 2009 - 01:02 PM, said:

Beware of Phoenix, I looked into going there and was disappointed to find out half way through the enrollment process that they are nationally accredited, not regionally

That's a good sign to look for if you want to do an online program. Look to see if the school is regionally accredited and has a "brick and mortar" location somewhere. It'll help you avoid diploma mills.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 04 October 2009 - 07:45 PM

I have been learning programming on my own for about 2 years now, with a big break in between. IMHO, I think the one downside to not going to school, other than no degree, is the fact that I had no one to guide me; I jumped from language to language until I settled on java (For Now!) Recently considering a PHP project with some programmers on this site if they will have me, I'm confident I can help them with their database and at the same time meet people of like mind to network with and get my feet wet with PHP.

I have read numerous posts all over the internet that indicate self taught programmers do well as long as they have a good portfolio. That makes sense to me. Even in my current occupation, I hire people not for their talent but for their potential. If they seem sharp, professional attitude ETC... Also other posts saying you actually learn the programming on-the-job. many other confidence building posts from programmers. Check out this thread:

http://www.amazon.co...Tx2GE5FIYS0ALNR

I had planned on attending school one day when time allows, recently I checked out a reputable online school. I was disappointed to learn that the actual programming language part of the curricula is for a lack of better words LAME. for the associates degree anyway. So I feel if I am going to spend $ and 2 years to learn what I already know just to get the paper that says I know it. I may as well just get certifications, if that, save the $ and spend the 2 years helping others on their projects, finishing my own, getting experience and networking. It seems the experience, drive, willingness to learn, and the ability to work on a team is the clincher with allot of employers.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +