2 Replies - 957 Views - Last Post: 19 August 2009 - 09:34 AM

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Control what is listed as the link in the results of a Search Engine

Post icon  Posted 10 August 2009 - 12:59 PM

hello,

i am trying to improve my site's search engine presence now that i have started my beta launch. one thing i notice from many sites, especially many social networking sites, is that the link in the search results show the user's username or name on that site in the link. then, when you click it, you are taken to a preview of that user's profile.

example: if you do a google search for toby jackson (just randomly picked this name, sorry toby). you should see something like this towards the bottom of the first page of results: Toby Jackson | Facebook.

i think i understand why the Toby Jackson | Facebook shows up, they must have something like this in the title tag right?
<?php echo $username;?> | Facebook

my main question is how do they(Facebook in this example) make that link to a preview of Toby Jackson? How are they passing the variables in the link?

thank you!

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Control what is listed as the link in the results of a Search Engine

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Control what is listed as the link in the results of a Search Engine

Posted 18 August 2009 - 02:53 PM

There's a link somewhere that Google saw to that page.

So yes, there is some server-side variable being popped in the title... but there's an actual hyperlink somewhere (probably a list of members) that Google can crawl. Google crawls to that page, indexes it, and boom- listed in the SERPs.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Re: Control what is listed as the link in the results of a Search Engine

Posted 19 August 2009 - 09:34 AM

okay, so what you are saying is that if i want something similar to my example and for google to know the name or posting title of for a product, then i would have one static page with all of that info?
or can i create a dynamic page that is basically selecting all from the user table and product table? if i go with option 2, is that going to bog down my server in any way?

thank you.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1