Which language will work best?

For a simple web-based price quote generator..

Page 1 of 1

7 Replies - 1270 Views - Last Post: 02 September 2009 - 03:02 PM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Which language will work best?

Posted 11 August 2009 - 03:26 PM

Hi all, please mind the nubility of this question, but I would like to create an easy-to-use web app which allows potential clients to generate an estimated quote for a print shop (Similar to this one, but with less text fields and more radio buttons/drop-downs). Also, because several options will be confusing to non-industry folks, it will need to be simple enough for anyone to use (I plan on using pop-out boxes to show examples of binding, finishing, packaging, etc.)

I know it is possible create a Windows app in VB, but it has been a long time since I've used it and am afraid my skills are far-outdated. Also, my ignorance prevents me from fore-seeing any problems which may arise in the future when it comes to developing/testing this app live on the web.

Again, I apologize for how basic this question is, but any leads you can give me will be extremely helpful and appreciated! Sorry for the lack of code, but I am really in the plan/design stages, and haven't considered attempting the dive into the abyss of development/implementation just yet, and will update as the project comes along!

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Which language will work best?

• GAME OVER. NERD WINS.
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Which language will work best?

Posted 11 August 2009 - 06:19 PM

you probably want to ask this in the corner cubicial, not a language specific forum. :D
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 11 August 2009 - 08:12 PM

Hi all, please mind the nubility of this question, but I would like to create an easy-to-use web app which allows potential clients to generate an estimated quote for a print shop (Similar to this one, but with less text fields and more radio buttons/drop-downs). Also, because several options will be confusing to non-industry folks, it will need to be simple enough for anyone to use (I plan on using pop-out boxes to show examples of binding, finishing, packaging, etc.)

I know it is possible create a Windows app in VB, but it has been a long time since I've used it and am afraid my skills are far-outdated. Also, my ignorance prevents me from fore-seeing any problems which may arise in the future when it comes to developing/testing this app live on the web. And now that I'm thinking more about it, I think it is possible to run entirely with Javascript.

Again, I apologize for how basic this question is, but any leads you can give me will be extremely helpful and appreciated! Sorry for the lack of code, but I am really in the plan/design stages, and haven't considered attempting the dive into the abyss of development/implementation just yet, and will update as the project comes along!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 11 August 2009 - 08:44 PM

View Postcrazyjugglerdrummer, on 11 Aug, 2009 - 05:19 PM, said:

you probably want to ask this in the corner cubicial, not a language specific forum. :D

Will do! Thanks for helpin' the new guy..
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 14 August 2009 - 07:38 AM

Possibly PHP, MySQL and front-end with HTML, CSS.

Or if you are used to VS, you can always use C# in the .Net framework to use SQL and also create the front-end.

This post has been edited by redkid: 14 August 2009 - 07:40 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 14 August 2009 - 07:58 AM

If this is a web app, you may not want to use pop-ups but instead have a link they can click to see an example which would open a new mini-window with your example.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 14 August 2009 - 03:12 PM

Well lets break it down in to the general web app components; database, server/client side language, markup/stylesheet.

Database - If the method your using to calculate the estimate is fairly simple and doesn't need too much changing then you probably don't need database interaction.

Server/Client Side Language - You'll need one of these to process the clients input. Depending on what's available to you I'd recommend ASP (if your on a Windows environment), PHP (if your on a *nix environment.) Then, if you want a more responsive app I'd recommend a client side language like Javascript.

Markup/Stylesheet - Obviously XHTML/HTML & CSS.

If your not familiar with these techniques then I recommend for ease of use look up how to process user input with PHP (http://apptools.com/phptools/forms/) and how to display forms in HTML/CSS (http://www.w3schools.../html_forms.asp). The general idea being you have the user fill out the form, then use PHP to parse the input on the server side and return the output you want.

Hope that helps,

~ Craig
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 02 September 2009 - 03:02 PM

Thanks guys! This project seems a bit beyond my capabilities, but I will pass it along to someone with more skills/time.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1