8 Replies - 860 Views - Last Post: 14 August 2009 - 09:55 AM

• Tired.
  • member icon

• View blog

Site Design WIP

Posted 11 August 2009 - 09:20 PM

Ok Guys,

I have started redesigning my wife and I's website where we sell her art and my photography. It will have a full store with multiple images and details. So here is V2, it is missing the nav and the main things that we have settled on our the logo placement/main image area and background. I am completely open to criticism and I understand there not being too much as the painter is still painting, but I labeled this a work in progress.

The image quality is at about 50% so some of the text is a little hard to read but that will be fixed since none of the text currently except for the logo will actually be an image come development time. Thanks for the thoughts.

Posted Image
--

Greg

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Site Design WIP

• #include "soul.h"
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Site Design WIP

Posted 11 August 2009 - 11:36 PM

Well, it looks pretty nice. It is clean, professional and all.

I have a few possible suggestions, first off, maybe try fading the background image(turtle) to the background color all the way instead of letting it drop off. That would make for a smoother transition. Second, possibly hae more information on the sides of the image (like you have the "New Original" portion at the moment. Try having it show the most recent article (if you are going to post articles on the site), if you are just doing it for a store, then maybe the best selling product, or newest one.

I would like to see how the navbar will fit into it, but I think if you were to stretch it about 80% of the way across the background image (turtle) it would look pretty cool, something like the "New Original" section, but smaller and wider.

I am very interested in seeing how this looks once it is done!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• i am colt mccoy
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 August 2009 - 11:40 PM

yep, ditch the font, tis my only criticism at the moment. :)

like the rest
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Tired.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 August 2009 - 06:16 AM

yep, ditch the font, tis my only criticism at the moment.

Well the logo one will stay as it is our brand font, no exceptions. The other two are georgia and times - are the those the ones that you were referring to - or the logo one?

--

Greg
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• blub

• View blog

Posted 13 August 2009 - 07:59 AM

I'd say he ment the Welcome bit...
because thats the only thing that i dont like at the moment :D
rest is just "almost" perfect
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Tired.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 August 2009 - 08:07 AM

rest is just "almost" perfect

That's awesome - I'm using that somewhere in my work emails today.

Anyways, what do you guys suggest in changing. The font style, or the large first letter. It is currently Georgia.

--

Greg

This post has been edited by gregwhitworth: 13 August 2009 - 08:07 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• i am colt mccoy
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 August 2009 - 06:58 PM

both .

and here is the deal : i'm an absolute stickler about fonts so what i see as a problem many people won't mind at all so if you like it don't worry about it.

but i think its rare, i hate to say rare, but less likely that a serif font looks good on the web, and by web i mean body text - the logo is fine. serifs were invented to be easier to read on paper, but they aren't easier to read via glowing pixels, mostly because anti-aliasing still sucks on that scale.

as a header font, or a title or something i think they can be worked correctly, but not as a body font. just my 2 cents
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• blub

• View blog

Posted 14 August 2009 - 12:10 AM

i have to agree with what capty said.
its just something there, that is in the way, but you just dont see/notice/or-whatever it

This post has been edited by Toxicterror: 14 August 2009 - 12:10 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Tired.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 August 2009 - 09:55 AM

both .

and here is the deal : i'm an absolute stickler about fonts so what i see as a problem many people won't mind at all so if you like it don't worry about it.

but i think its rare, i hate to say rare, but less likely that a serif font looks good on the web, and by web i mean body text - the logo is fine. serifs were invented to be easier to read on paper, but they aren't easier to read via glowing pixels, mostly because anti-aliasing still sucks on that scale.

as a header font, or a title or something i think they can be worked correctly, but not as a body font. just my 2 cents

Good input - and duly noted - I will try to find a font that is sans serif that is somewhat elegant that fits within the 6-10 fonts web developers are allowed to use. Thanks for the guidance guys.

--
Greg
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1