Another way to link to Access data on Web page

Page 1 of 1

5 Replies - 1002 Views - Last Post: 13 August 2009 - 02:47 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Data Access Pages no longer supported

Posted 12 August 2009 - 07:46 AM

Hi,

I was using Access 2003 and created an access data page on my company's Intranet site. All I do is update my Access database and it automatically populates the Data Access Page on the Intranet. I created a search button on the Page so users can search for a particular word.

Our Department recently converted to Access 2007 and data pages are no longer available. I can still keep the Access Data Page on the Intranet and continue to use it, but I cannot open the page itself and edit it in anyway. For example, I need to update broken links that are on the page and add another Search button. I cannot open the page in Access or in Publisher. I can't even fix the broken links in Notepad.

Does anyone know of another tool I can use to achieve the same type of results, which is an HTML Page linked to an Access Data base.

I know HTML and a little Javascript.

Thank you.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Data Access Pages no longer supported

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Data Access Pages no longer supported

Posted 13 August 2009 - 06:53 AM

If you learn some ASP or ASP.NET you can build a custom HTML page that simply pulls data from Access. Thus, you wouldn't edit the code for the page through Access but rather through a web-editor of some kind (like Visual Web Developer).

I don't know much about Access other than it's a database, but you'll benefit from the experience of learning .NET so I'd recommend going that route.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 13 August 2009 - 08:22 AM

I would enjoy learning ASP. How can I tell if my company has an ASP supported server?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 13 August 2009 - 08:59 AM

If you're running a Windows server, you're supporting ASP/.NET. Otherwise, your server doesn't support it.

I should clarify - you simply need to learn ANY server-side language so that you can pull the raw data from Access. The server side language you use will depend on what server you're using. I assumed Windows because you're using Access.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 13 August 2009 - 11:00 AM

I tried a simple test ASP, but the server where my Web pages reside does not have IIS and cannot display the page. Is that something that needs to be installed on the Network or local to my computer?

HTTP Error 404 - File or directory not found.
Internet Information Services (IIS)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Tired.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 August 2009 - 02:47 PM

YES!!! I don't think it's necassary - but I do think it is for the .net framework, as well as any frontpage extension.

--

Greg
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1