4 Replies - 869 Views - Last Post: 14 August 2009 - 06:57 AM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Express Your Cover Letter

Posted 13 August 2009 - 02:48 AM

Hi, We had a thread that asked to share your resume. Now I think we should ask and see, what others write in a cover time, when we attach the resume. Do you guys mention the skills in cover letter or write some professional and impressive words, so that your resume gets definitely viewed.
Share Your Thoughts about what to write in a cover letter

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Express Your Cover Letter

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Express Your Cover Letter

Posted 13 August 2009 - 02:52 AM

This could be all said in just one post.

- - - - - -
A cover letter should demonstrate to the reader that you have read the job ad carefully and that you are truly interested in that particular job.

The cover letter should:
  • Introduce yourself
  • Be to the point.
  • Be no more than three to four paragraphs long.
  • Be positive and upbeat.
The cover letter should not:
  • Be a summary or repeat of your resume.
  • Be a uniform letter you send with all job applications.

This post has been edited by firebolt: 13 August 2009 - 02:53 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 August 2009 - 03:20 AM

What about, for example the position needs you to have SQL and data base experience or knowledge? Should you, when applying for the position, state your other programming experiences, which would already be listed in your CV, in a bit more detail, or for a particular position, would you just go into detail your experience of SQL and databases, and maybe list a few projects done relating to that experience.

With regards to introducing yourself, some job ads state that the ideal candidate should have certain characteristics, should you list your characteristics, not just repeating what they have listed, but wording it differently?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 August 2009 - 12:33 PM

Your cover letter is not a resume. It should thank the reader for taking the time out of their busy schedules to read it, how much interest you have in their company, why you are interested, contact information, and some more ass-kissing thanks. 2-3 should be fine. I'd attach a copy of an old one of mine, but I don't remember which computer it's on :\
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 14 August 2009 - 06:57 AM

I always touch on one or two skills they mention and how I match that. I also ask them for an interview basically saying ("I'd like to take some time to talk to you a little more in depth about the position and how I'd be a good fit.") or some such malarkey.

Firebolt is right, each cover letter should be catered to the job of which you are applying. You should find out who to send the cover letter to and address it to that person instead of the generic "Dear Sir/Madam" and if it is not possible then using something more professional like "Dear Hiring Manager."
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1