How to build software for linux?

Page 1 of 1

9 Replies - 1092 Views - Last Post: 13 August 2009 - 08:01 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Software For Linux

Post icon  Posted 13 August 2009 - 03:06 AM

Hello everyone,

I was a Windows user and currently using Ubuntu since last year. I'm good in Java and Python programming. Before this I used either languages to develop program and for sure, those softwares are compatible with Windows. As usual, those softwares must have either .exe or dll files which make them able to run on windows. However, those extensions mean nothing for Linux unless I use Wine. If I want to build a osftware which is compatible with Linux, what should I do or have? I know the system on how Ubuntu install a software. How to make my software in .deb extension or be listed in Add/Remove program? Can anyone explain this to me. I did search through Google but I get nothing for this. Maybe, i miss a few keywords. Pls yeah... :blink:

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Software For Linux

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Software For Linux

Posted 13 August 2009 - 05:25 AM

i think, there should be programmers among you guys who are well in this issue.

com'on tux... help me on this... :P
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Untitled
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 August 2009 - 05:53 AM

i am not Linux user neither JAVA but i searched google {JAVA Compiler for Linux}
and found this site http://java.sun.com/javase/

From Google
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Gentleman of Leisure
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 August 2009 - 06:25 AM

I mean what is the actual question.

IDLE is a good IDE for Python
Eclipse or Netbeans are both good for Java
Code::Blocks for C/C++
Geany & Blufish are both good general Editors. I wrote several smaller Java apps and compiled in Geany but for Web Development I lean towards Bluefish.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 13 August 2009 - 06:33 AM

View Postnoorahmad, on 13 Aug, 2009 - 04:53 AM, said:

i am not Linux user neither JAVA but i searched google {JAVA Compiler for Linux}
and found this site http://java.sun.com/javase/

From Google

do u mean, there is a different java compiler for Linux? i thought the only different is between JDK for J2ME and J2EE...

View PostNykc, on 13 Aug, 2009 - 05:25 AM, said:

I mean what is the actual question.

IDLE is a good IDE for Python
Eclipse or Netbeans are both good for Java
Code::Blocks for C/C++
Geany & Blufish are both good general Editors. I wrote several smaller Java apps and compiled in Geany but for Web Development I lean towards Bluefish.

what I mean is, in windows; we're going to compile our system and make them in .exe for example, rite? how about in Linux?

as i know, there is .deb... how to get to there? i know, for java; i can use .jar... however, there are several programs not written in java. what they did on their program to make them able to run on Linux. :)

This post has been edited by malaya: 13 August 2009 - 06:34 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Gentleman of Leisure
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 August 2009 - 06:48 AM

I think you will find this link beneficial.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Segmentation fault
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 August 2009 - 07:16 AM

I think you guys are way off track. It sounds like malaya is asking how to package up his software in a .deb package.

http://www.google.co...g+a+deb+package

A .deb package is basically a zip file with some instructions on where to put certain files, and some metadata (eg. version #, description, category, dependencies).

If you want your package to show up in Add/Remove Programs you either need to create your own repository, or get it accepted in one of the official repositories (not an easy task). Please note however that people can still install your package if it is not in a repo.

http://mentors.debia...cgi-bin/welcome (for Debian, unsure if Ubuntu has something similar)

Edit: If you are using Java you can always just distribute your program as a .jar file which is sort of like an .exe (for Java). :)

This post has been edited by Tom9729: 13 August 2009 - 07:18 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 13 August 2009 - 07:36 AM

wooOOooo... thanks a lot Debian Ninja.. and also to you guys! :)

ps: i hope my english is not too bad. :P

View PostTom9729, on 13 Aug, 2009 - 06:16 AM, said:

I think you guys are way off track. It sounds like malaya is asking how to package up his software in a .deb package.

http://www.google.co...g+a+deb+package

A .deb package is basically a zip file with some instructions on where to put certain files, and some metadata (eg. version #, description, category, dependencies).

If you want your package to show up in Add/Remove Programs you either need to create your own repository, or get it accepted in one of the official repositories (not an easy task). Please note however that people can still install your package if it is not in a repo.

http://mentors.debia...cgi-bin/welcome (for Debian, unsure if Ubuntu has something similar)

Edit: If you are using Java you can always just distribute your program as a .jar file which is sort of like an .exe (for Java). :)

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Gentleman of Leisure
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 August 2009 - 07:43 AM

Make sure you read over that link I sent you as it encompasses all the different ways to package Linux programs.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Segmentation fault
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 August 2009 - 08:01 AM

View PostNykc, on 13 Aug, 2009 - 09:43 AM, said:

Make sure you read over that link I sent you as it encompasses all the different ways to package Linux programs.

Oops sorry, I admit I did not read your link (just did now though).

That looks like a good overview of Linux packaging, but it seems very user oriented and a little outdated.

I think it's also worth pointing out that even though a lot of distros may use the same package management system (eg. RPM), packages made for one system are *generally* not compatible with the others.

Edit: By this I mean using (for example) Fedora packages on a OpenSuse system is a recipe for disaster even though both use RPM.

---

This actually just came to mind. It's a little outdated but it's pretty close to the typical Windows installer (InstallShield?). I'd like to point out that using the system's package manager is definitely preferable to this.

---

Basically minimal effort approach...

If you are writing a closed source application bundle all of the libraries your program needs and don't worry too much about packaging.

If you are writing an open source application just provide the source code in a convenient format (.tar.gz) and people who want it packaged will package it.

This post has been edited by Tom9729: 13 August 2009 - 11:30 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1