Request a Tutorial

What do YOU want to see?

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »

59 Replies - 38123 Views - Last Post: 02 November 2013 - 10:26 AM Rate Topic: ****- 1 Votes

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Request a Tutorial

Posted 14 August 2009 - 01:09 PM

Do you have a problem? Think others do too? Request a tutorial here and solve the problem!

Be sure to specify the language and give as many details as possible.

When someone makes your tutorial, make another post here with a link so the user can get help.

Template:
[b]Tutorial Title[/b]
[i]Language: [/i]
[i]Subject: [/i]
[i]Purpose: [/i]
[i]Comments: [/i]

This post has been edited by kewlkreator: 14 August 2009 - 03:39 PM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Request a Tutorial

• Google.Sucks.Init(true);
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Request a Tutorial

Posted 14 August 2009 - 01:11 PM

You are correct this forum should have one of these (Good thinking). I'm pinning it so it;s easily found :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#3 BetaWar  Icon User is online

• #include "soul.h"
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 August 2009 - 01:11 PM

Grrr. Psycho beat me to it. :D
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 August 2009 - 03:38 PM

Thanks guys!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#5 NeoTifa  Icon User is online

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 August 2009 - 04:00 PM

I r wantz c0d3z 4 2 b 1337 pr0gr4mmr and maek awesum mmorpg plzkthnxbai.

And maybe something explaining servers or something. I see some of those threads.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Segmentation fault
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 August 2009 - 04:33 PM

Just a thought but could we have fewer threads pinned in Game Programming? There are 10 right now and it seems like a new one gets pinned every few weeks...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Hater & Lover

• View blog

Posted 15 August 2009 - 06:38 PM

You should do a tutorial about how to make an isometric RPG in C#. Not a massive RPG, just something simple to show the "pulp" of the idea if you get what I mean. One with a couple missions and inventory and towns with lttle shops. It would be a big tutorial but I think many people would be pleased to see one made, infact I might make this tutorial!

This post has been edited by Theaegd: 15 August 2009 - 06:39 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• using Caffeine;
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 August 2009 - 07:36 PM

View PostTheaegd, on 15 Aug, 2009 - 07:38 PM, said:

You should do a tutorial about how to make an isometric RPG in C#. Not a massive RPG, just something simple to show the "pulp" of the idea if you get what I mean. One with a couple missions and inventory and towns with lttle shops. It would be a big tutorial but I think many people would be pleased to see one made, infact I might make this tutorial!

I'm in the process of writing a tutorial series on creating an RPG with C#, with XNA 3.0 specifically. I have already 100+ printed pages on the subject and over 2500 lines of code(and line count is everything) and I have only covered a layered tile engine, screen management, a very simple character generator. I haven't covered the character class system, combat, quests, inventory, towns, shops, animating sprites, a collision layer for the tile engine and much more that I plan to add to the game.

Creating an RPG, even a simple one like the one you suggested, takes a lot of code and time to write. Actually writing the tutorials on how to do it takes even more time. Books have been written on the subject. I'm not saying this to discourage you. I'm just trying to be realistic. The amount of work required is more than you might think. If you would like to try then be all means do. It would be a great learning experience and a definite feather in your cap. If you feel you have the time and ability then go a head and do it!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 August 2009 - 06:41 AM

I think a tutorial on showing a background image to the screen with a little bit of collision, and a character or object that can be moved around on the screen would be very helpful. The background doesn't have to scroll or anything, just a single bmp that fits the screen. Maybe the character or object could have one or two different animations. This can be shown using C++ with DirectX.

I feel that it would be very helpful to me, and a lot of other people to be able to see some of these basic concepts of games shown in a tutorial (displaying backgrounds and sprites, collision, animation, keyboard input). Plus I think it would be relatively short, I may be wrong.

I am currently trying to figure these concepts out in a small game, so If there is no tutorial on this when I finish, I may write one myself.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• using System.Linq;
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 August 2009 - 07:01 AM

View PostTom9729, on 14 Aug, 2009 - 06:33 PM, said:

Just a thought but could we have fewer threads pinned in Game Programming? There are 10 right now and it seems like a new one gets pinned every few weeks...

I cleaned up the list of pinned topics. I merged several topics (two created by SixOfEleven and one that is mine) with Martyr2's thread. It is now called Game Development Careers - Tips. There are five pinned as of now and I hope that those ones are providing the most relevant first-hand information on the topic. I also unpinned gabehabe's Want to make a MMO? thread and created a link to it in a permanent announcement in the Game Programming forum.

Hope this will make things a bit more organized.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Segmentation fault
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 August 2009 - 07:11 AM

View PostCore, on 17 Aug, 2009 - 09:01 AM, said:

Hope this will make things a bit more organized.

Much better, thanks!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• using Caffeine;
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 August 2009 - 12:12 PM

The forum looks much better organized. Good job Core. :^:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Hater & Lover

• View blog

Posted 17 August 2009 - 01:17 PM

View PostSixOfEleven, on 15 Aug, 2009 - 06:36 PM, said:

View PostTheaegd, on 15 Aug, 2009 - 07:38 PM, said:

I'm in the process of writing a tutorial series on creating an RPG with C#, with XNA 3.0 specifically. I have already 100+ printed pages on the subject and over 2500 lines of code(and line count is everything) and I have only covered a layered tile engine, screen management, a very simple character generator. I haven't covered the character class system, combat, quests, inventory, towns, shops, animating sprites, a collision layer for the tile engine and much more that I plan to add to the game.

Creating an RPG, even a simple one like the one you suggested, takes a lot of code and time to write. Actually writing the tutorials on how to do it takes even more time. Books have been written on the subject. I'm not saying this to discourage you. I'm just trying to be realistic. The amount of work required is more than you might think. If you would like to try then be all means do. It would be a great learning experience and a definite feather in your cap. If you feel you have the time and ability then go a head and do it!

I totally agree with you on that, and im looking forward to reading your tutorial! I am personally using XNA Game Studio 3.1 and will be submiting one of my own games to Xbox Live Arcade.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• using Caffeine;
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 August 2009 - 03:54 PM

View PostTheaegd, on 17 Aug, 2009 - 02:17 PM, said:

I totally agree with you on that, and im looking forward to reading your tutorial! I am personally using XNA Game Studio 3.1 and will be submiting one of my own games to Xbox Live Arcade.

Good luck with your games. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 19 August 2009 - 03:17 AM

Tutorial Title text-based rpg inventory and/or shop
Language: c++ (i use code::blocks with mingw, if that helps)
Subject: adventure style rpg store and inventory.
Purpose: great to learn for folks like me..?
Comments: i think this will also help people (like me) learn more about structures, as i can't find any relative tutorials out there (meaning structures for rpg stuff) and so forth.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »