Request a Tutorial

What do YOU want to see?

• (4 Pages)
  • +

59 Replies - 38338 Views - Last Post: 02 November 2013 - 10:26 AM Rate Topic: ****- 1 Votes

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Request a Tutorial

Posted 06 March 2010 - 07:50 PM

Hello iv been working on a text based game for some time now, It's more of a choice an battle type game, but i wanna make one like zork. So i think it would fall under text parser or natural language processing but im really stumped on learning it. So a tutorial for that would be nice. Thanks
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 19 March 2010 - 02:00 AM

Um guys, I am new here, and have no experience in programming language, but, i want to start from scratch
So, please give me tutorial about:
Flash Based Games : ActionScript 3.0
Game Type : MMO Tactic Game (Quite Same like Final Fantasy Tactics)
What i want is the basics of Making Battlefield, Character abilities, and other basics
If it is incomplete, please PM me
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 18 October 2010 - 06:02 AM

Implementing Quests.
Language: C++ (but just a generic written explanation may suffice?)
Subject: Creating and managing simple quests in a simple 2d game (that's my aim)
Purpose: It's a subject I really want to learn about.
Comments: Something I've been trying to look into for quite a while now is how to implement quests in a simple RPG type game (e.g. Go talk to an NPC, kill the random number of specified enemies he tells you to and go back to him for some monies). I'm not going to lie, after my failed attempts at researching into this, I still have no clue how to even start.

I've seen a lot of people suggesting to others to use existing scripting languages as it does mostly everything for you and makes it easier. That is NOT what I'm after. I want to know how to actually implement my own quest manager (perhaps make my OWN scripting language, eventually).

I was hoping someone could give me some information to at least get me started, I seriously have no idea where to begin.

Thanks to anyone who can provide help.

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 26 November 2010 - 04:23 PM

I use C++ and DirectX extensively for creating games on Windows for home projects, so will be sure to put some tutorials up on this when I get the time. I'm also becoming familiar with developing games for Linux, so am looking into SDL and have already written games using OpenGL. It will be sometime before I put up anything for this particular aspect. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Indie Game Developer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 January 2011 - 07:10 AM

View Postthegodgame, on 19 March 2010 - 02:00 AM, said:

Um guys, I am new here, and have no experience in programming language, but, i want to start from scratch
So, please give me tutorial about:
Flash Based Games : ActionScript 3.0
Game Type : MMO Tactic Game (Quite Same like Final Fantasy Tactics)
What i want is the basics of Making Battlefield, Character abilities, and other basics
If it is incomplete, please PM me

Just in case you want to start off with a simple Actionscript 3.0 game, heres a step by step tutorial :
Flash Game Tutorial
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 22 February 2011 - 03:13 PM

View Postjaimcm, on 18 October 2010 - 06:02 AM, said:

Implementing Quests.
Language: C++ (but just a generic written explanation may suffice?)
Subject: Creating and managing simple quests in a simple 2d game (that's my aim)
Purpose: It's a subject I really want to learn about.
Comments: Something I've been trying to look into for quite a while now is how to implement quests in a simple RPG type game (e.g. Go talk to an NPC, kill the random number of specified enemies he tells you to and go back to him for some monies). I'm not going to lie, after my failed attempts at researching into this, I still have no clue how to even start.

I've seen a lot of people suggesting to others to use existing scripting languages as it does mostly everything for you and makes it easier. That is NOT what I'm after. I want to know how to actually implement my own quest manager (perhaps make my OWN scripting language, eventually).

I was hoping someone could give me some information to at least get me started, I seriously have no idea where to begin.

Thanks to anyone who can provide help.

That's a pretty tough one, but I suppose I would probably set up an XML file and then read it in. The file could contain the name of the quest, and a way to rank the quest (like if it's a 1 you have to finish it to get somewhere in the story, if it's a 2 it'll help you in some way, and if it's a 3 maybe you get some XP).

The XML file could include any necessary dialogue, choices, locations, and any required order.

The best place to start is to think through how you want a quest to be formatted i.e. what needs to be done, and what data you need to convey to your game, in what order...etc. Implement this into an XML file (which as it turns out is dynamic metatada...perfect IMO)and then, if you're writing in C++ you just need a good way to open and parse XML (probably just find a library) and use the data you've read in to get the quest loaded into your game.

You could probably take this quest data and attach it to some kind of quest queue to your hero/avatar/player object and check to see if they have a complete (boolean value true\false) and if they require completion (again true\false).

I've never done anything like that before but maybe that'll get you started. It's certainly not the only way to do something but it's what I could think of off the top of my head.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 14 March 2011 - 10:48 AM

View Postkewlkreator, on 14 August 2009 - 01:09 PM, said:

Do you have a problem? Think others do too? Request a tutorial here and solve the problem!

Be sure to specify the language and give as many details as possible.

Hi id really love to see a step by step tutorial for a text based RPG style game in Java using Netbeans. Ive been trying to follow one i found on another site but it was done as an applet and while i have tried to convert it myself into netbeans it hasn really worked out for me! Iv got my GUI how i want it but a tutorial on how to actually implement the game in so far as [a] a starting location [b] the obstacles or challenges along the way [c] how to move around the game world. if anyone would be interested in helping me out it would be absolutely great!

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 01 June 2011 - 04:59 AM

Hi guys, does anyone know where some tutorials are for the newest version of XNA? Preferably, like, from the ground up if you get what I mean. Cheers.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 June 2011 - 05:41 AM

Make sure to check out the Game Programming Tutorials section.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 03 June 2011 - 05:36 AM

Gameboy Color Development
Language: C
Subject: Gameboy Color Game Development
Purpose: Hobby
Comments: I've found some useful links which I'll post

http://www.loirak.co...eboy/gbprog.php
http://individual.ut...a/rezalotun/gw/

I know this is probably an odd request, but I think it'd be really interesting to get into this. So much of the content I've found has been 10 years old so a few links are broken / abandoned which obscures my chances for understanding this.

If someone could just kindly point me in the right direction, preferably to a complete tutorial if one exists?

Thanks
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 19 November 2011 - 03:28 AM

A step by step tutorial on how to make a Tetris game using Java. Purpose is to help me pass my programming class, also to learn more about the programming language.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 December 2011 - 11:48 PM

Hey, I was just wondering, is it ok for anyone in DIC to submit a series of tutorials that shows how to make a game using game making tools instead of programming, such as using Game Maker or AGS or SEUCK?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 27 January 2012 - 03:06 PM

It would be nice to get an updated version of RevTorA's excellent tutorial series on making a 2d Tile Engine using SFML. As I mentioned in this post, changes have since been made to SFML 2 which breaks the current tutorial, which is one of the few available on the net right now for this specific task.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 17 March 2012 - 12:21 AM

Tutorial Title : Catapult Simulation in Unity3D
Language: Unity Javascript
Subject: Catapult Physics Simulation
Purpose: i need it for core script
Comments: i think this is easy, but i can't figure it out how.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 July 2012 - 11:28 AM

I would really like a tutorial on using OpenGL in Python - one that teaches how OpenGL works, but in Python instead of C++. Not someting I really need, I can always just go learn it in C++... but it would be kinda cool :P
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (4 Pages)
  • +