11 Replies - 1207 Views - Last Post: 17 August 2009 - 12:52 AM

• Coding is a lifestyle
  • member icon

• View blog

new site design feedback

Posted 14 August 2009 - 09:23 PM

hey everyone,

I'm wondering about some feedback on this new site design I just built today. It's still in photoshop stages but any comment would be greatly appreciated. I'm not too fond on the color's so any help there would be awesome as well.

Cheers

Posted Image
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: new site design feedback

• #include "soul.h"
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: new site design feedback

Posted 14 August 2009 - 10:09 PM

Man, this is a tough call. On one hand I kinda like the simplicity of color, but at the same point it is pretty bland, and doesn't look right...

I think that it should at least be widened before you start coding it (but that may just be me). I would suggest changing the background colors to look better with the yellow, or changing the yellow to look better with the grayscale. I believ ethat lighter blues, greens and reds all look nice on black, and browns, reds, and tans look nice with yellow, so that could be a stepping point for color changes.

One thing you may want to look into is using a blue (to go with the twitter bird) and a complementary color for the main colors of your site (like a #9C6825 or #E8AF66 in conjunction with #35789C could look nice).

The leaf things around the banner image don't really do anythign forme. I think they would look better if incorporated throughout more of the skin. You have some in a grayscale gradient on the background, but those blend in nicely and don't stand out like the ones around the banner do. That makes them look out of place. Maybe try to give them a realistic color and texture and set something up so it looks like a vine is curling up the side of the content area (A repeating background would probably be the easiest way to accomplish this).

The banner appears quite large as well. So I am not sure if it is meant to be that way or if it just turned out that way. I typically say you should keep a banner image to 100 pixels or less in height that way a person on a smaller (height wise) monitor doesn't have to scroll as much to view the content.

This is all just constructive criticim so use it however you wish, and please don't think I am picking on you.

Hope you find this helpful,
BetaWar
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Coding is a lifestyle
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 August 2009 - 10:15 PM

Haha not by any means... i really appreciate the comments. I'm just starting as a web developer so I need as much advice as I can get :D... I'll put your words into practice tomorrow after work and re-post and updated version later tomorrow :D

Thanks again

Cheers
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 August 2009 - 08:11 AM

I agree with BetaWar. The simplicity is similar to sites like Facebook and Twitter. However, the site seems dull.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 August 2009 - 05:41 PM

I, for a fact, quite like it. I would only suggest one thing. Lighten up the color of the body and give it a drop shadow to increase depth.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Coding is a lifestyle
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 August 2009 - 05:56 PM

View Postfirebolt, on 15 Aug, 2009 - 04:41 PM, said:

I, for a fact, quite like it. I would only suggest one thing. Lighten up the color of the body and give it a drop shadow to increase depth.

Interesting! Thanks Firebolt!

Cheers
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 August 2009 - 06:37 PM

No problems. Make sure we see the next version! :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Coding is a lifestyle
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 August 2009 - 08:57 PM

View Postfirebolt, on 15 Aug, 2009 - 05:37 PM, said:

No problems. Make sure we see the next version! :)

Will do, pretty busy with work but i'll upload it when i get a chance sometime this week :D

Cheers
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• human.setType("geek");
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 August 2009 - 01:59 AM

I like the design and layout of the site, especially it's simplicity but I would prefer if there was a little more contrast between the colors, that is a mix of some bright colors for the borders and titles like the blue that is in the twitter bird. Anyways, very nice design keep up the good work and good luck :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Coding is a lifestyle
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 August 2009 - 01:36 PM

Alrighty everyone, thank you again for your comments. Here is version 2, i've added in some of the colors that betawar had suggested and done some other stuff with the background, etc. Let me know what you think of version 2 :D
Posted Image

Cheers

This post has been edited by markhazlett9: 16 August 2009 - 09:29 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• #include "soul.h"
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 August 2009 - 11:47 PM

Ah, much nicer looking :)

My only issue here, which may already be a non-issue, is how are you going to go about the background? Will it be repeating? Or a fixed background?

Looks very nice, I would suggest maybe playing around with the vine/ floral background you had before (on top o/ in conjunction with) the current background, that would add some interesting color dynamics.

Looks nice :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 August 2009 - 12:52 AM

Looks much better now. :) Just one thing, are those two boxes, next to each other, going to be fixed or set so they fit the feed contents?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1