2 Replies - 1023 Views - Last Post: 18 August 2009 - 07:31 AM

• Gentleman of Leisure
  • member icon

• View blog

Google Voice

Posted 16 August 2009 - 08:23 PM

Just set up my account and was playing with it. Seems really sweet so far, I am a bit confused on the whole free SMS bit but if this works out I can save money on my T-Mobile bill by atleast $10 a month or whatever the text messaging fee is.

Has anyone had any experience using Google Voice yet?

Discuss....

here is a link if no one is familiar with it yet
http://www.google.co...oice/about.html

edit - well I set up the initial forwarding my number to my cell phone and instantly my contacts were imported. (Scary)
Now I am debating on whether or not to add additional numbers as forwards. This new number will come in handy for using as a possible business line as well.

While both fun and scary I can't help wonder about the security implementations in place here. You have the option to record all calls, voicemails, sms, etc.., I kinda think I am going to hang around in the kiddie pool until I am comfortable enough to do a cannonball in the deep end.

This post has been edited by Nykc: 16 August 2009 - 08:32 PM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Google Voice

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Google Voice

Posted 16 August 2009 - 09:43 PM

I've pretty much completely migrated to my google voice # now, it's just too convenient. Also, I'll be traveling for a while in areas where I can't really use my normal phone, so I can still essentially make and receive phone calls through the web interface.

Also, free business cards :D classy touch.

I'm not sure what security issues you are worried about. Having a web login to access your call history, sms and voicemails is of course another potential vulnerability, but in reality it's not much of one. Your email address itself is much more of a vulnerability, and if anyone steals your cellphone they have access to most of that information already.

Check out the google Gadget too if you haven't, it's awesome. I put it up on my contact page on my website.It's just an embedded flash app, where someone that wants to get ahold of you can put in their name and phone #, and google will call them, they answer, and then connect them to you. You don't even have to give out your phone # that way if you want.

There are a number of glaring ommissions currently in google voice tha hopefully will be added in later:
-no email 2 sms gateway, so you can't email yournumber@googlevoice or whatever, like you can with a regular carrier
-no gmail integration
-no developer api
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Gentleman of Leisure
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Google Voice

Posted 18 August 2009 - 07:31 AM

Like I said - I am intrigued by the technology, you answered the question already...

Having a web login to access your call history, sms and voicemails is of course another potential vulnerability, but in reality it's not much of one.

The fact that you can also record all conversations, and they are stored online. Google is easy enough to manipulate: if you know how to use the search engine correctly - you can find almost anything you are looking for.

Either way - back on topic - I love Google don't get me wrong, it is a love/hate relationship. They are a marketing agency, that is all they are. Besides amusing us with cool technologies and ideas that piss off companies like M$, Apple - they are collecting data and doing what they do best - Marketing.

I have a Google phone (G1), I use Google-411, Google Maps, GMail, I found Chuck Norris on Google....

I am excited about this product, I hope it turns into something that in the future can help me relieve myself of a $136.00 Monthly cell phone bill.

thank you for sharing, I look forward to hearing more people who use this service because I would love to take advantage of this.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1