First business venture

what was your first earnings? Not salary... you talents, if any...

Page 1 of 1

10 Replies - 967 Views - Last Post: 01 September 2009 - 05:46 PM

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

First business venture

Posted 17 August 2009 - 01:13 AM

I'm a business minded person, never thought that possible, but I got stuff in my head that just wants to come out.

I have a knack for typing too fast, apparently so fast that the computer is unable to catch up with me. So, while I was in school I typed out my school friends projects. Honestly I couldn't charge them since I was using the school computer and printer.

However, after school, put an ad in the paper for typing of professional CVs and projects and whatever else needed typing expertise and I actually got some good responses, kept me going till I actually got a full time job. The other thing I used to do, is offer computer repair service and get my brother to do that work, sales - didn't work so well for me, but still trying in that department. And also, I went so far as to offer my services as a one man (or woman) recruitment agency to others to find them a job, using internet, of course, not everyone had access to the internet at that time.

Now, I registered my own company, computer sales, called STC Technologies cc, and well not much sales happening, however I do make a killing with selling cd's and dvd's at work and also implementing the web page designing and hosting facility to small business, the guys I come in contact with at work.

So, how about you guys?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: First business venture

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: First business venture

Posted 17 August 2009 - 09:30 AM

Well, I work doing stuff I'm not qualified or trained to do, so most of my time here is spent training, going to meetings, or doing petty crap like cleaning the test floor or scanning papers. ;)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#3 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 August 2009 - 11:03 AM

View Postladyinblack, on 17 Aug, 2009 - 02:13 AM, said:

I do make a killing with selling cd's and dvd's at work

What? You buy them in bulk or sell off what you already own?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 17 August 2009 - 02:04 PM

I could make a killing with my embezzlement plans... but that would be wrong. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#5 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 August 2009 - 06:46 PM

A friend of a friend had me upgrade his hard drive (that he had purchased) for $20.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• .. does not guess solutions
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 August 2009 - 06:48 PM

My first legal (taxable) earning was from Mage Web Solutions (the Internet division of Mage UK before it merged), creating websites of course :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 August 2009 - 05:39 AM

McDonalds.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 August 2009 - 02:31 AM

@modi123_1
I buy spindle cds from my dealers and sell them singles (that where my profit comes in) to the people I work with, because they always wanting to copy music which someone or the other has. The thing is we work in a secluded area where the shops are just too far to walk, or we too lazy to take the car to find parking is a nightmare, so I saw the opportunity.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 August 2009 - 02:45 AM

The first money I really earned from a 'job' was running a morning concession stands for my marketing class. 15 minutes a morning and I got 200$ out of it at the end.

The next year the marketing class just handed it over for fund raising to the language club that was planning on traveling to japan. I was able to sit there (my friend worked the stand and let me hang around) and sell energy drinks for $3.00 a pop (I felt sorry for the teachers who had to deal with the hyped up sevies).

I'm trying to get into some freelancing or a programming job of some kind before i have to work at someplace like staples *shudders*
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 31 August 2009 - 06:40 AM

I actually owned a small business (I earned enough that I had to get a business liscense) that repaired, built and upgraded computers. I was in a fairly secluded, but densley populated area. Most of my high income jobs came from the colleges and universities. It was cheaper for them to spec the jobs out rather than hire on IT staff.

When a larger firm moved in I sort of slipped a hint to the larger universities that they should spec it out to students of the Computer Science and Computer Engineering Degrees ("it'd be excellent experience and it'd be much cheaper"). Not proud I did that, but I was pissed....
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• using Caffeine;
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 September 2009 - 05:46 PM

I have been working on selling the books that I have written. Haven't had the greatest success at it yet but I'm trying.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1