6 Replies - 666 Views - Last Post: 21 August 2009 - 11:57 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Majoring in computer science

Posted 17 August 2009 - 01:19 PM

Hey i hope im writing this in the correct area, but i just wanted some advice and opinions of what others think. I love computers and i am knowledgeable on how to use on and all that. I am going to be new to programming and i have never entered a math class that is higher than algebra, even though i am very good at that math i pick up fast and learn fast. I just have doubts in myself that i can do it, i don't want to be in the major for a year and then quit because it gets too hard. Basically i want to know if you need a talent for this or if its also easy to pick up for people who havent touched computer science at all. Im sure if i dedicate myself i can learn it, but i just wanna know from experienced c.s majors if theres a tough road ahead or would i been sitting at home all day studying. Thanks in advance

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Majoring in computer science

• LIKE A BOSS
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Majoring in computer science

Posted 17 August 2009 - 01:52 PM

Math is important. Depending on where you go to school, they may shove a lot of math down your throat in a CS major. However, if you aren't afraid of it (and you don't seem to be) and since you say you easily pick it up, this may not be a factor for you. Sometimes the biggest impediment to programmers (in my experience) is inability to perform algebra.

Do you need a talent? Sometimes I feel that some people just can't program, they just don't think the right way. I'm not sure if that's accurate or fair. Math skills often help in this area, but certainly don't guarantee skill in CS.

It can be a tough road, but it's not awful. I say tough it out. CS is more than just programming. You do a lot of theory, efficiency, data structures, etc.

If you think you can do it, and it interests you, I'd say go for it. If you still have time in high school, you may want to at least get some precalculus under your belt, because you'll likely have to take at least one year of calculus in college.

This post has been edited by xclite: 17 August 2009 - 01:54 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 17 August 2009 - 02:07 PM

Yea im not in high school anymore unfortunatly..yea i really wanan do it..but where u said some people don't think the right way for programming, i think thats true..and thats what im afraid of..i was speaking to a friend and he was telling me as a programmer you have to understand and know how everything in life works, and i cant imagine turning that into code..but i figure i have never programmed before, and ill prolly just pick it up and do it. Thanks for answering back appreciate it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 Guest_Neumann*

Posted 17 August 2009 - 02:20 PM

Is CS hard and is Math important? It depends on what type of a programmer you want to be. You can be yet another code monkey, writing yet another .NET database application. Being that type of "programmer" is not hard and does not require much Math. So in any case you can still be a code monkey. Now, if you want to push this industry forward, develop new technology, and work for the top company in the world, then the road is hard and it will require for you to know a lot of math.

For example, I major in Mathematics. But I only do it so I can become a good programmer. See what I'm getting at?

At any rate, nothing in this life in easy. But you should always give it your best shot.
Was This Post Helpful? 0

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 17 August 2009 - 02:52 PM

wow...yea i definetly want to push the industry forward i want to be part of the future of technology, im gonna take computer science and see how it goes after i graduate if i have to learn more math i guess ill just have to do it :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 21 August 2009 - 10:19 PM

You can't say something is tough or easy just like that-it's all in your attitude. From what I know, it isn't a big deal to master programming skills provided your logic is clear and sound. Mathematical ability is important but you learn most of the tricks along the way. Once you're comfortable with any one language, the rest is easy as most of the time, the only thing that differs from language to language is the syntax.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 21 August 2009 - 11:57 PM

To me its just like anything else, you must put effort into it. You cant go to class, get back to our house or dorm and play video games and expect to finish your programs. Ive always been the kind of person that believed I could do anything I felt like putting my time into. All it takes is the will power to do it and the time to actually do the work. Not to mention if you do get stuck on a problem in your prgramming, it happens to everyone and there are tons of people willing to help. Put time and effort into it and you'll do just fine.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1